Unrandart: root of all evil

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 08:14

Unrandart: root of all evil

The Root of all Evil is a M&F weapon with the base stats of a whip. It is +6, Drain, rPois, and has the special effect that for 10% of kills that would leave a corpse, it instead doesn't leave a corpse and a plant appears on the square.

The Root of all Evil only spawns underneath plants.

---

While the flavor is meant to be silly, the special effect seems interesting: that melee kills can turn enemies into obstacles. Although maybe it would just be annoying in practice; I'm not sure.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 09:14

Re: Unrandart: root of all evil

Make it an axe. There are already 10 mace fixedarts and only 4 axe fixedarts, and one of the axes can't generate normally (axe of woe). Also it needs a decent base type - maybe a broad axe. And I think it should just make plants every time an enemy would have left a corpse, otherwise the effect would trigger very infrequently.

fixedart weapons by type, by my count:
axe 4 (incl woe)
staff 8
pole 8
mace 10
long blade 11
short 8 (incl knife of accuracy)
xbow 2
blowgun 1
bow 3
sling 1
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 09:29

why would you include knife of accuracy

it's an ex-item

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 13:15

I expected this to be some kind of gozag-in-a-weapon proposal, since "the love of money is the root of all evil."
To wit: +1 to slaying for each piece of gold in sight with no walls in the way. Once a piece of gold is in sight, you can't unequip the weapon or move to a place where you can't see at least one pile of gold. Breaking sight with fog or the like removes the slaying bonus and lets you move, as does picking up the gold.

Apporting all the gold on the level around with you would get old.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 16:01

I thought this thread would be about how unrands are the worst thing about crawl.

Was kinda looking forward to what your reasoning would be.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 4
all before, Arrhythmia, Blobbo, Sar

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 19:06

Berder wrote:blowgun 1
The Blowgun of the Assassin was removed in 0.14.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 19:11

If they turn into full-fledged plants, then it would take a while to cut them up so you can explore on the other side. Unless you kill everything in open areas, which makes the plants meaningless.

The loss of corpses wouldn't make food relevant, but having to kill dozens of plants on each level might.

Maybe something like the funguses that appear when you pray to fedhas would make sense- those don't last too long, but they do provide enough cover to get a step ahead of whatever is chasing you.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner