Why Not VSFi?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 14:22

Why Not VSFi?

VSFi is not a recommended character combination, but I'm not sure why. Here are the advantages I see, given that it's a melee-focused background:
  1. You start with all your background attributes in STR and DEX boosts which increases the frequency of your bite attack.
  2. All the quick weapons are one-handed (edit: except dire flail), so you may as well start with the shield you'll eventually use anyway. It is your best defensive aptitude after all.
  3. High AC complements regeneration well.
What am I missing?
Last edited by MainiacJoe on Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 14:40

Re: Why Not VSFi?

I guess just that the developers want to keep the list of recommended backgrounds and roles reasonably compact. There's nothing wrong with VSFi I think.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 15:09

Yeah, "not highlighted" is not meant to be anything like "not viable." It's just not one of the very few things to show off how that race works or is different from other races.

There's no good reason that VSFi couldn't be highlighted, but then there would be too many things highlighted or you'd have to eliminate something else that would bring up the same question.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 15:46

Fi isn't very good for VS since they rely a lot on mana to survive, and Fi starts with a very low mana pool.

For this message the author rockygargoyle has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 15:59

Fi could be highlighted on just about every race.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 17:43

you mean Be

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 19:05

MainiacJoe wrote:You start with all your background attributes in STR and DEX boosts which increases the frequency of your bite attack.

But stats have no bearing on attack speed.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 19:14

Pollen_Golem wrote:
MainiacJoe wrote:You start with all your background attributes in STR and DEX boosts which increases the frequency of your bite attack.

But stats have no bearing on attack speed.
The Vine Stalker's anti-magic bite is a mutation-based auxilliary attack. My understanding is that whenever you make a melee attack, a (1 + STR + DEX) > 1d50 check is made to see whether you also bite. If this is correct, then to maximize overall bite freqeuncy you need both a fast weapon (frequent checks) and also high STR+DEX (successful checks).
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 19:17

rockygargoyle wrote:Fi isn't very good for VS since they rely a lot on mana to survive, and Fi starts with a very low mana pool.
Ah. Now this makes sense! If you do go Fighter it would seem that you have to go with an Invocations-heavy god to get more MP. You could do Evo too, but you probably get a quicker return on your XP with Invo.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 19:36

Fighters can, and generally should, train spellcasting just as any other background that isn't Be should also train spellcasting ;) They will probably train it somewhat later than most, although if I was a VSFi, I'd train it a little bit earlier for the mana, if I wasn't training invocations instead. Depends on exactly what your setup/god is, there are exceptions, etc etc.

VS is such a powerhouse that you could really recommend every background and it'd be viable; so they had to be pretty selective with the actual recommendations. Fighter's very strong but probably doesn't show off the mana pool + mana shield interactions well enough.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th July 2015, 18:23

Does the bite roll on all attacks? Would an axe have a roll for each hit or just the main attack and not the cleave hits?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th July 2015, 20:00

I'm fairly sure you can only bite the direct target of an axe attack, and the chance of that is based on the usual factors, your stats, levels, random dice, etc. Someone had posted the formula somewhere but I don't remember it offhand.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 8th July 2015, 20:28

tasonir is correct about only being able to bite the primary target of a cleaving attack. The odds of trying to bite are (str+dex) in 50. Your ability to hit with the bite is influenced by Fighting skill, slaying, dex, str, and other effects that generally increase accuracy.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 9th July 2015, 02:25

tasonir wrote:VS is such a powerhouse that you could really recommend every background and it'd be viable; so they had to be pretty selective with the actual recommendations.

CK is just bad and not particulary Viable no matter what your race is. (of course you can win CK. any combo an be won if your good enough and try enough times. But I like my odds of winning DEBe a lot more than my odds of winning TrCK)

Vs Fi is very strong. go Ely and you get MiBe level easy mode.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner