Diablo The Hell is the Anticrawl

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 01:09

Diablo The Hell is the Anticrawl

http://www.diablothehell.narod.ru/main.html

This mod is only slightly older than Stone Soup, and like Stone Soup, is based on a randomly-generated fantasy RPG from the mid-90s. Its back-loaded difficulty masquerades behind a gentle introduction. Tactics are tricky and crucial to survival, but death is forgiven with a little XP drain. You're granted no opportunity irreversibly handicap your character or change intrinsics. There's dark atmosphere and endless variety. Equipment is super important and changes your playstyle drastically, and depends heavily on your class, and yet is not scummable other than a handful of solid quest items. The economy is stringent and identification is limited. You only need the single .MPQ file from Diablo to play this.

There is one way in which DTH blows away all competition I know of, and it has to do with feedback and balance. Every one the stats affects how your char responds to a whole lot of things, and you can just feel from playing that you are lacking in vitality or something. It really punishes minmaxing that most games reward, even for mages, but not simply in making your character an ineffective hero that just can't stop dying. No, you figure out your weak spots in a minute of gameplay. And it doesn't even have to throw numbers at you to inform you. In this way it's like the polar opposite of Crawl, and so good it's uncanny.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 01:31

Re: Diablo The Hell is the Anticrawl

Happy playing! ...and check for updates regularly!

Posted by: Mordor 5:15PM 26/12/07
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, PleasingFungus

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 01:36

it was you all along :o :shock:

For this message the author Pollen_Golem has received thanks:
Greyr

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 27th April 2015, 04:37

Greyr made the game?
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

For this message the author treerex5 has received thanks:
Greyr

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 11th May 2015, 20:08

Here are some more connections I've realized. Combat takes place on a grid, and positioning is the most important part of tactics. Narrow bottlenecks are possible early on but are made harder eventually due to knockback and wider environments where you have to make do with corners. Monsters spawn in packs. Luring monsters back individually is important, but hard to do because monsters alert everyone around them when they see you. Ranged combat is short, but those few spaces where you don't get hurt are very important. Blinking monsters are fun to chase so you don't get frustrated at never getting to hit them. Natural regeneration is the default way to heal because healing potions are too rare and expensive to spam everywhere. While you can sell items, they are devalued so much that they're rarely worth dragging to town. Weapons that are not great for your characters are best left in the dungeon unidentified. Both games have modest cooldown periods for particularly effective abilities.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 02:19

What, no responses? Does nobody here reminisce about Diablo, ever?
Here's a video from Greyr's secret youtube account:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g555t45x90
And some random gameplay videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-RyZu18iI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW51TVb7PC8

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 03:24

i already replied as many times as i wanted to
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, PleasingFungus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 08:07

if you know someone who lives in an apartment (or dorm or whatever), you can pee into a frisbee and freeze it, then take the frozen pee disc out of the frisbee and slide it under that person's door at night. then when they wake up there will be an unexplained pool of pee next to their door

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Godmorgon, Rast, rockygargoyle, Wahaha

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 08:36

duvessa wrote:if you know someone who lives in an apartment (or dorm or whatever), you can pee into a frisbee and freeze it, then take the frozen pee disc out of the frisbee and slide it under that person's door at night. then when they wake up there will be an unexplained pool of pee next to their door

why not just pee on their door?
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
PleasingFungus

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 11:15

Arrhythmia wrote:
duvessa wrote:if you know someone who lives in an apartment (or dorm or whatever), you can pee into a frisbee and freeze it, then take the frozen pee disc out of the frisbee and slide it under that person's door at night. then when they wake up there will be an unexplained pool of pee next to their door

why not just pee on their door?

You can get some momentum in the piss disk, hopefully it will slide away from the door. Best case scenario the puddle would be in the middle of the room, baffling the occupant.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 14:47

Agreed, pee frisbee is much more Anticrawl.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 15:22

How would they know it was pee? Maybe they would think the roof had leaked.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 15:32

Rast wrote:

How would they know it was pee? Maybe they would think the roof had leaked.

You have to eat a bunch of asparagus first obviously.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 16:17

The frisbee metaphor is appropriate for this thread, especially since I went to sleep after my last post.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 03:14

You know, chance is the only reason you guys obsess over Stone Soup and not The Hell.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 4th June 2015, 08:38

Glad to see I'm not the only one that still plays Diablo from time to time. Makes me feel less lonely :D .

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 4th June 2015, 10:12

what is happening here

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 7th June 2015, 18:30

wow, I finally found the amulet of yendor. I feel so hardcore and oldschool now.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 22:04

amuletofyendor wrote:Glad to see I'm not the only one that still plays Diablo from time to time. Makes me feel less lonely :D .

Oh you're not alone at all - this game alone has a fairly large, active online community in English: http://diablothehell.freeforums.org/
People tend to forget the magnificence of Diablo because the dreariness of its combat in the Vanilla version overshadows other memories.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th June 2015, 00:39

Does diablo the hell run on macs?

Ironically I used to own both diablo AND the hellfire expansion, although if I wanted to reinstall them now I'd have to pirate copies...

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 19th June 2015, 01:20

I have no idea if it runs on macs. It runs on Windows XP and Windows 7 for sure.

You don't actually need to install anything - diablo, hellfire, or the hell. You just drag a single file (DIABLO.MPQ) to the folder where you extracted The Hell. Boom, done.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner