Dark Souls RL

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 14:52

Dark Souls RL

Could Dark Souls 1 be co-opted into fun traditional roguelike? Assume that bonfires would be removed.

There are more branches in Dark Souls than crawl and each branch tends to have a specific challenge and rule set. Players tend to be able to choose from several branches at any given time - but because the challenges are so particular and the enemy sets so small, the challenges would be predictable and therefore boring perhaps.

The attribute system as a gate for items and spells is certainly stream lined but probably not so interesting compared to crawl's skill system.

Would it make for a replayable roguelike or get dull like Nethack after a couple ascensions?

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 17:26

Re: Dark Souls RL

As a note, the Ultima Ratio Regum developer has mentioned before that, once he finally gets to the game part of his game instead of working on his cool procedural generation stuff, he plans to add "Dark-Souls-esque combat mechanics." He's shooting for next January for that bit of implementation, but other than that one line of text in the development plan, I don't know that he's spent much time talking about what the gameplay will actually be like, though RPS called it "4x" in one review.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 18:53

I was following URR for a while, until he said "Combat will be extremely rare" or something along those lines, and I just walked away, deeply disappointed.

I'm sure there are people out there who are interested in a roguelike historical art theft mystery, or whatever exactly it's about, but I like my roguelikes bloody!

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 18:56

I dunno, the guy seems really deeply into a lot of weird competitive/twitch gaming scenes, and he has talked in a complementary fashion about DCSS. I get the feeling that, however the game turns out, it'll probably be interesting and fun to play. Plus it looks so rad.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 19:58

dark souls is a buzzword

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 20:00

If the roguelike radio episode is any indication, URR will be procedurally generated Carmen Sandiago.

For this message the author tannisroot has received thanks: 2
dowan, Hirsch I

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 21:18

Sar wrote:dark souls is a buzzword

More importantly, so is "roguelike."

For this message the author wheals has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Sar

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner