Game of Thrones

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 20:38

Game of Thrones

I can't be the only one who watches this shit.

So guys, how did you feel about that scene last night where a small child was burnt to death by her father as a blood-sacrifice to his demon god? Worst moment of the show, ever, for me.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 20:51

Re: Game of Thrones

that sounds rad as fuck but I am not watching 5 seasons of this shit to get to it

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, n1000, scorpionwarrior

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 21:05

Yet no one was outraged when they mailed that one guy's ding dong to his dad and sister.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 21:12

I'm waiting to see if GRRM actually manages to finish the series before I bother consuming any more of it. I already had one unhealthy-looking, bearded fantasy author die on me before finishing his series; I can't go through that kind of heartbreak again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 21:16

archaeo wrote:I'm waiting to see if GRRM actually manages to finish the series before I bother consuming any more of it. I already had one unhealthy-looking, bearded fantasy author die on me before finishing his series; I can't go through that kind of heartbreak again.

Listed in order of respect you'd gain from me if you mentioned the author's name, in order of most to least.

Douglas Adams
Robert Asprin
Terry Pratchett
J. R. R. Tolkien
{anyone else}
Robert Jordan
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 21:28

archaeo wrote:I'm waiting to see if GRRM actually manages to finish the series before I bother consuming any more of it. I already had one unhealthy-looking, bearded fantasy author die on me before finishing his series; I can't go through that kind of heartbreak again.

A long shot, but Frank Herbert?

For this message the author pickled_heretic has received thanks:
XuaXua

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 21:42

you mean you didn't like the prequels and sequels written by his son and that one official SW fanfic writer?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
XuaXua

Barkeep

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 21:44

No, I'm absolutely gutted because now I've lost XuaXua's respect, which is something I deeply craved. Also if you want to talk about how Wheel of Time is a grossly maligned masterpiece of the genre, you guys know where to find me.

(Also I didn't even think about Frank Herbert! I wonder what a seventh Dune book would've been like in his hands. All those authors named died too soon, even if they had good long lives.)

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Majang, XuaXua

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 21:50

Well at least the first four books are pretty self-contained and the last two resolve most of their plot threads. At least that's how I remember it, it's been a while.

I'd love to see more Dune books by Frank, though. As crazy as the last ones were getting, I would take craziness over mediocrity.

Zhorgal

Barkeep

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 21:56

They do? As I remember those last two books, it had big, enormous sequel hooks, especially if the son/SW FF writer's sequel is actually based on firm notes and not on their fevered imaginations.

But that's fine. Honestly, I only think Dune and God-Emperor are really all that worthwhile, but then again I'm also loudly proclaiming my love for Robert Jordan in this thread, so I may have lost all credibility w/r/t literary criticism.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 22:03

Well the main conflict in Heretics/Chapterhouse is Bene Gesserit vs. Honored Matres and it's resolved in Chapterhouse.

Original and God-Emperor were my favorite too, though it really peeves me how many people misunderstand original as a "that one perfect guy comes and makes everything right" and consider sequels unnecessary when it actually has a very strong anti-messianic message.

archaeo

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 22:10

Though I would say that Dune is not just "worthwhile" and it actually a pretty amazing work, at least that is the impression it left on me. A great alien world with lots of interesting characters, each with an agenda of his or her own. Lots of work put into the setting. I love settings.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 8th June 2015, 22:47

XuaXua wrote:Yet no one was outraged when they mailed that one guy's ding dong to his dad and sister.

I guess the difference was that he was an adult, who had himself killed two children (child murder is the jaywalking of Westeros) and done a bunch of other bad stuff.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 01:31

Rast wrote:I can't be the only one who watches this shit.

So guys, how did you feel about that scene last night where a small child was burnt to death by her father as a blood-sacrifice to his demon god? Worst moment of the show, ever, for me.

The worst moment of the show, for me, came some minutes after that, and it was the battle in the Colosseum.

1) Why none of the bad guys tried to throw a spear to Daeneris?
2) How did the dragon know who were the bad guys? Why didn't the dragon just fly in and take Daeneris away?
3) Why, once Daeneris leaves, the fighting stops and the other guys are suddenly safe?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 01:55

quik wrote:1) Why none of the bad guys tried to throw a spear to Daeneris?
2) How did the dragon know who were the bad guys? Why didn't the dragon just fly in and take Daeneris away?
3) Why, once Daeneris leaves, the fighting stops and the other guys are suddenly safe?

1) I had that same concern.
2) Dany seemed to summon him telepathically, so we can assume it knew because of her somehow. Dragon didn't know to take her and leave until she commanded it; it had never had a rider before.
3) Yeah, I have no idea, but I have to think that with Dany gone, the others weren't worth killing out in the open.

CGI was so bad in that end scene with her riding it by clinging to it's neck, I yelled out "Falcor!"

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
and into

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 11:46

This thread in a nutshell:
- Lets' talk about Game of Thrones!
- I don't watch it.
- I don't watch it either, lets' talk about The Dune instead.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 14:52

XuaXua wrote:
quik wrote:1) Why none of the bad guys tried to throw a spear to Daeneris?

1) I had that same concern.
2) Dany seemed to summon him telepathically, so we can assume it knew because of her somehow. Dragon didn't know to take her and leave until she commanded it; it had never had a rider before.
3) Yeah, I have no idea, but I have to think that with Dany gone, the others weren't worth killing out in the open.

CGI was so bad in that end scene with her riding it by clinging to it's neck, I yelled out "Falcor!"

On top of all that, how the hell are there so many of these guys? And why aren't they just straight up invading the palaces and such? It seems like they outnumber everyone else, this seems more like an army than a terrorist cell.

Was this scene in the books, or did they just make it up for the show? Because like XuaXua says, that scene didn't make a ton of sense.

On the child sacrifice thing, yeah that was rough. But I don't know how you get this far in the show, then get surprised by something horrible happening... And really, I didn't find it to be the most horrible moment in the show, the whole Sansa/Ramsay scene was pretty damn rough, and the scene way back in season 1 with khal drogo and dany was also pretty bad (She was supposed to be like 15 years old)

For anyone not watching it, it's pretty good. There's not much plot armor to be had, seemingly, which is refreshing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 15:06

dowan wrote:For anyone not watching it, it's pretty good. There's not much plot armor to be had, seemingly, which is refreshing.

Well, you do kind of have to keep track of everything, but the pre-episode 2 minute "last time on Game of Thrones" usually (a) updates you and (b) reminds you of something old you forgot about, but would have remembered, completely ruining the surprise back-reference in the episode you're about to watch.

If you've seen the Adult Swim "Too Many Cooks" video, someone set a series of (super-spoilery) Game of Thrones sequences to the same tune, and it works fairly well and does a good job of lining out the gigantic cast of characters.

Basically, the constant murdering of your favorite characters is only done in order to keep your brain in check from having to follow too many people.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 15:28

There's a similar scene in the books in which the fighting pits are reopened, but it's more of a court intrigue thing. Her Meereenese husband tries to poison her w/ some kind of locust dish (which she predictably refuses to eat) and some shit happens with rebels and Drogon in the fighting pits like in the show. The details are significantly different, but the general outline is similar.

Season 5 is getting too television-y for my tastes, I have to say. The previous seasons seemed to deal with the material in the book in a way that worked well given time constraints and kept things tight/well-planned, but now it seems like there's a lack of material to work with and it's being filled in with garbage (see the Jaime and Bronn in Dorne side plot).
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks: 2
dowan, Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 16:56

Yeah, it does feel like the quality is diminishing slightly as the show goes on. Still, it's far from a bad show.

I do worry it's going to devolve into a bunch of battle scenes with the undead. One of those a season is more than enough.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Rast

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 17:19

It's entering the Sopranos spiral. It's inevitable with TV series without a clear plan or direction.

re: discussion of books upthread, I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM dies before publication of the next book, forget about the last one. That's one unhealthy looking dude with an unhealthy sounding lifestyle. When you look at his incentives, there's just no reason to finish the books. He's already as rich and famous as he's likely to get, he probably won't live more than another 10 years anyway, and people are essentially writing his last books for him on TV.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 17:22

What irks me about this season is how boring some of the main antagonist factions are. We know little about the Sons of the Harpy except that they are a bunch of guys who really suck at fighting and want to kill Dany, and the White Walkers are also obviously pretty one-dimensional (they tried to make the last scene interesting with the children and leader Walkers, but it was still very boring to watch). I hope the Bolton/Stannis conflict isn't quickly resolved by the sacrifice because that's something that could be entertaining. I also actually like seeing Stannis or Boltons scenes while Daenerys is annoying to watch. Speaking of which, now I can't enjoy Tyrion any longer since they'll be together all the time.

I'm kind of glad about the Jaime/Bronn thing because I'm glad about anything that gets Bronn more screen time, but I guess it's pretty awful if we're being objective about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 17:22

GRRM likes to use WordStar, and he lost the entirety of the last novel or something...

He probably plays Crawl or another Roguelike.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 17:32

mps wrote:re: discussion of books upthread, I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM dies before publication of the next book, forget about the last one. That's one unhealthy looking dude with an unhealthy sounding lifestyle. When you look at his incentives, there's just no reason to finish the books. He's already as rich and famous as he's likely to get, he probably won't live more than another 10 years anyway, and people are essentially writing his last books for him on TV.

I dunno, I have some measure of faith that he probably has more reasons to write books than being rich and famous. Writing is kind of a terrible, terrifying career; you don't make it as far as he has without legitimately enjoying the process, I think. But we'll see!

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 17:41

cerebovssquire wrote:What irks me about this season is how boring some of the main antagonist factions are. We know little about the Sons of the Harpy except that they are a bunch of guys who really suck at fighting and want to kill Dany, and the White Walkers are also obviously pretty one-dimensional (they tried to make the last scene interesting with the children and leader Walkers, but it was still very boring to watch). I hope the Bolton/Stannis conflict isn't quickly resolved by the sacrifice because that's something that could be entertaining. I also actually like seeing Stannis or Boltons scenes while Daenerys is annoying to watch. Speaking of which, now I can't enjoy Tyrion any longer since they'll be together all the time.

I'm kind of glad about the Jaime/Bronn thing because I'm glad about anything that gets Bronn more screen time, but I guess it's pretty awful if we're being objective about it.

Indeed, Bronn is a great character in the series, but had they just peppered the season with scenes of him killing his new in-laws and taking their castle, that would've been sufficient. My bet is the Stannis/Bolton thing is resolved by something stupid, like a fire starts in Winterfell, they evacuate, Sansa and Ramsey run into Brienne, Brienne kills Ramsey, Roose is murdered by Stark loyalists in the confusion -- something like this.

Agreed, re: sons of the harpy. Comically bad.

One good thing about season 5, though, is no more Bran and especially no more Reeds.

cerebovssquire

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 18:51

The sons of the harpy seem to have no problem whatsoever killing the unsullied, who are supposed to be elite warriors trained from a very young age, which I really don't get. Is grey worm the only competent one? And once again, how the hell are there so many of them? In that Colosseum scene, it seemed like there were more of them then there were spectators!

Obviously them not throwing javelins at Daenerys is dumb. That whole scene really felt half assed. And it kind of annoyed me that I knew ahead of time that the dragon was going to show up, and Daenerys would be safe, when up till now you usually never felt like anyone was safe.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 21:19

I think GRRM is a really skilled writer, but man is the world he created a dismal and loveless place. I read the first four books avidly, but have no desire to go further or to watch the TV show. The gore and torture and stuff is bad enough in text... really don't want to watch that on screen.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 22:37

Yeah, the climax of this last episode was pretty lame, especially in comparison to the episode before it, which was a high point of the season for me. I honestly would have preferred it if they just drew out the Ser Jorah fight scene and invested the budget in that—I found those scenes a lot more exciting (and better choreographed) than the Sons of Harpy attack, which was visually muddled and also didn't make much sense (for reasons other people pointed out). Also, you know that D has to survive, but the show has departed enough from the books that I was not 100% on what would happen to Jorah, so the fighting pit scenes that centered on him actually had some stakes.

I agree that how the Sons of Harpy have been handled in the show, in general, is strange. It would make a lot more sense if they were shown using guerrilla tactics, ambushes, and intrigue more consistently, and that would make them a more credible threat. Instead they were just suddenly magicked into a veritable army of highly skilled fighters that can hold their own against Unsullied (plus Daario and Jorah), plus a freakin' dragon. Wtf?

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 22:53

I was really hoping they would change things so that Tyrion out-schemes D's adversaries in Meereen as in second season, but instead they're doing this weird mash-up of the situation in the book, where Tyrion takes the place of like five characters that are dead or don't exist in the series but were major elements of D's story.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 00:42

It takes fanatic levels of morale to throw spears at a huge dragon (something they've never seen before) rather than run away from it.

So hey, everyone know that Dany's plotline is basically George Bush trying to rule the Middle East, and failing horribly, right? I think she even has some of the same lines as Dubya. It'll be cool to see if Tyrion can do better.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 04:37

Rast wrote:So hey, everyone know that Dany's plotline is basically George Bush trying to rule the Middle East, and failing horribly, right? I think she even has some of the same lines as Dubya. It'll be cool to see if Tyrion can do better.

Uh, either I missed a few critical episodes of GoT, or one of us experienced an alternative timeline 2000s IRL.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 05:13

I would not know anything about the dany plotline as I have never watched the show and skipped all of those chapters in the books

For this message the author pickled_heretic has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 12:34

and into wrote:
Rast wrote:So hey, everyone know that Dany's plotline is basically George Bush trying to rule the Middle East, and failing horribly, right? I think she even has some of the same lines as Dubya. It'll be cool to see if Tyrion can do better.

Uh, either I missed a few critical episodes of GoT, or one of us experienced an alternative timeline 2000s IRL.

But you do recall that George W. never successfully hatched his dragons, no matter how many blood sacrifices he made?

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 3
and into, archaeo, Arrhythmia

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 13:00

Lasty wrote:
and into wrote:

But you do recall that George W. never successfully hatched his dragons, no matter how many blood sacrifices he made?

Of course, and Cheney's dangerous intrigues that secured 8000 eunuchs fit for military service is legendary. But aside from that I'm not really seeing the connection, sorry.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 20:16

Really guys?

The connection is that Dany doesn't understand the peoples and cultures she is trying to rule. But she thinks that if she kills enough of them, she can impose her own values on them. On the other hand, we had Bush, who barely understood the difference between Iraq and Iran, and certainly couldn't tell you the difference between Sunni and Shi'ite, trying to impose his shitty version of western liberal democracy on the country he conquered.

One point in Dany's favor is that she at least lives in the same city as her subjects. Also she's killed way less of them than Bush, though she hasn't had the inevitable genocidal civil war yet.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 20:22

realistically that reading would be more accurate if you replaced "bush following 9/11" with "literally everything the west did in the middle east following WWI and the dissolution of the ottoman empire"

e: actually it might be even more accurate if you replace "middle east" with "africa" and "following WWI" with "during the nineteenth century"

e2: fuck it, it'd be most accurate to just say "imperialism" and be done with it
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 4
all before, Lasty, quik, scorpionwarrior

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 20:28

Arrhythmia wrote:realistically that reading would be more accurate if you replaced "bush following 9/11" with "literally everything the west did in the middle east following WWI and the dissolution of the ottoman empire"

e: actually it might be even more accurate if you replace "middle east" with "africa" and "following WWI" with "during the nineteenth century"

e2: fuck it, it'd be most accurate to just say "imperialism" and be done with it

That could be further condensed to "humanity following whenever the second group split off from the first group"

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 20:55

Dany is leading a slave revolt. One that she hopes will catapult her into power across the sea, true. But at this point she has shown that she truly abhors slavery and wants to eliminate it, and is willing to delay, and even jeopardize, her longer term plans and her personal interests in order to do so.

She wouldn't be anywhere if the majority of the slaves did not actually want to be freed from bondage. This thread has been lost somewhat in this season but it was made abundantly clear in earlier seasons. The slaves are clearly part of the culture in Mereen and the other cities Dany conquered, and they ultimately decided to follow her rule. So she understands quite well the culture of the *majority* of the populations of the city she rules, it would seem, as they willingly follow her.

You can say that closing the fighting pits was a mistake borne out of a kind of cultural elitism, which she later tried to rectify (but too late). Sure. But it isn't like the masters of Mereen hated Dany because she closed the fighting pits—that just added insult to injury. They hate her because she abolished slavery and made it so they can't own people any more, and do stuff like crucify hundreds of slave children just to send a message, whenever the fancy strikes them.

Now, you can raise the uncomfortable identity politics behind the fact that a white person was, for some time, single-handedly leading this revolt, and that the slaves were often (though not entirely) portrayed as passive and complacent until they had a white leader. (This was brought up plenty in reviews during seasons two and three.) But to compare what Dany is doing—leading what is, in point of fact, a populist rebellion—to the Bush administration actually implies that the latter's mission had a *lot* more credence than it actually deserves.

Dany is closer to Spartacus, which seems to be one touchstone for her narrative. And she began as no better than a slave herself, you'll remember, despite her noble ancestry, so she does actually know what de facto serfdom (including being raped because you completely belong to someone else) actually feels like.

The analogy to Bush really doesn't make any sense.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Lasty, mattlistener

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 21:23

If that was rape then I am the fucking hyperpope

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 21:25

Maybe I'm misremembering from Season 1—it has been a while, forgive me—but weren't there majorly strong suggestions of rape/abuse at the hands of her brother? (I seem to recall a particular scene in which D's brother raped her, but maybe it was just implied. He was super creepy and abusive though, so the basic point about her being, in practice, in a similar situation to a slave,* holds true.)

*Okay, obviously she had better living conditions, but she wasn't free. So her experience was roughly similar to a well-trusted and "prized" slave who got to live in good conditions in the master's keep. And also the master of the keep is an abusive psychopath.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 21:28

Oh, I was talking about Drogo. I don't really think there was any rape from the brother though, at least in the books.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 21:50

I remember seeing a similar parallel between D and Bush. The point is D. is highly ideological and politically impractical. She has no idea how to accomplish her goals and the consequences of her incompetence are evident throughout her time in Slaver's Bay. She is nevertheless successful in some measure due to overwhelming force. There are some important differences though. She's not stupid or guileless, she's just naive.

The parallel relies on the dominant media narrative of the Iraq war, though. As with so many Western adventures in the the global south, this was just another case of war as state capitalism, with flow of public funds to resource extraction firms and various military and construction contractors being the primary policy ramifications.

Arrhythmia, Rast

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 21:55

I love how the sons of harpies are supposed to be from the noble families that Danaerys offended, so apparently the 1% in Mereen are more like 99% of the population and are willing to sacrifice themselves by the hundreds in massively wasteful human-wave tactics.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 21:59

OK, she's not leading a slave revolt. She came in with her army and dragons and took over the place. Yeah, freeing the slaves was part of that and helped her take the city without a protracted siege, but she's not Spartacus. Not close.

The parallels are overwhelming. Oh, and the last book, the one which covers her attempts at ruling Mereen, was written between 2004-2011 by an American author who makes no secret of being a lefty. It's clearly intentional.

She's not stupid or guileless, she's just naive.

Bush isn't exactly stupid (IQ tested at about 125, before his cocaine addiction). He just did stupid things because he is naive as fuck and has no intellectual curiosity and trusted the people around him.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 22:46

Bush was like Reagan -- a guy a certain kind of person easily believes is a lot like them, cares about them, etc. The point, though, isn't to put someone in charge who thinks like that kind of person. It's getting those people to identify with decisions made by another set of people with a wildly different perspective on the world. In particular, it didn't matter whether or not Bush was really stupid, that was just the front. If people believed Bush was stupid, that was good because it helped divide people and made potential political opposition less effective with the target demographic.

Arrhythmia, Rast

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 23:17

I can only really speak to the TV series, but Dany seems pretty competent, and truly invested in ending the slave trade (as she quite deliberately chose to delay her birthright quest to make sure that's happened). She's made plenty of mistakes and been naive in lots of ways, of course, but given the fact that she was treated as property and abused from the get go, I think she has come around to acquit herself very well as a ruler, at least in comparison to the other rulers portrayed in the story. The connections that are obvious to you (Dany = Bush) strike me as rather superficial, I'm afraid.

EDIT: I definitely think that, even in the show, all these characters are complex and none is completely good. I don't doubt that GRRM drew inspiration from multiple different sources for each character, since one major point seems to be avoiding flat and cliched pure villains/heroes. Obviously, the difficulties of rule even when guided by relatively good intentions is a major theme that they (probably too much) drag out when it comes to Dany's story, so in that sense it fits at a rather abstract level to Iraq—but then it fits with, like, thousands of other real world events. At least in terms of how the show presented it, the situation in Mereen reminded me much more strikingly of Reconstruction following the American Civil War, more so than the Bush administration's disastrous foreign engagements. In any event, Dany's story doesn't strike me as an intentional roman a clef that just serves as a 1-to-1 code for an actual historical event, so I rather doubt that.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Lasty

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 01:52

I don't know if you're talking to me or not, but I agree the comparison is superficial in that it relies on a superficial reading of the Bush presidency. On the other hand, Daenerys's campaigns in Slaver's Bay are pretty obviously some kind of political commentary or satire on the part of GRRM.

Arrhythmia

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 15th June 2015, 08:31

lol @ season 5. Tune in next season to see if Sansa and Theon survived the fall, whether Jon Snow is going to be revived by Lady Melisandre, and whether Brienne really killed Stannis. This season, in spite of a lot of things having happened, seemed weirdly devoid of anything important happening... Kinda like the books!

dowan, Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th June 2015, 12:35

Chekov's Melisandre.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 15th June 2015, 12:42

mps wrote:lol @ season 5. Tune in next season to see if Sansa and Theon survived the fall, whether Jon Snow is going to be revived by Lady Melisandre, and whether Brienne really killed Stannis. This season, in spite of a lot of things having happened, seemed weirdly devoid of anything important happening... Kinda like the books!

And season 6 will probably arrive before 6th book...
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner