Tweak (or remove) Okawaru wrath for attacking allies

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 26th May 2015, 12:56

Tweak (or remove) Okawaru wrath for attacking allies

In my last game I was whacking left and right with my Spellbinder and found that doing this with Oka is a bit complicated. You have to watch for your allies and don't let them being caught in magic explosions created by enemy miscasts. It is considered as my own attack and puts me under Oka penance.
As if I was guilty in that stupid caster miscast!
He was that stupid to learn firebolt!
He was that stupid to be whacked by Spellbinder!
HE IS GUILTY NOT ME! OKA WHY?????

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks: 4
archaeo, duvessa, Lokkij, rockygargoyle

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 26th May 2015, 13:37

Re: Tweak (or remove) Okawaru wrath for attacking allies

This sounds like a bug; I'd file it on mantis.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 13:04

You flailed around with a weapon that can cause explosions while your allies were in range of those possible explosions; I don't think there's any bug or problem here.

Edit: I just realized that the OP might be confused about how spellbinder works. It inflicts antimagic on the target like all antimagic weapons, and that can prevent the target from casting spells. As a second and totally unrelated mechanic, it also can force the target to immediately on hit suffer miscast effects, some of which are explosions.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 17:29

Monsters cannot possibly create miscast effects, unless they are hit by an appropriate unrandart, correct?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 17:39

Well, it's probably not actually a bug, but it is inconsistent. The majority of situations where performing an attack which *could* hurt an ally, and therefore cause you penance, give you a prompt. This is one of the cases where it doesn't.

It's actually fairly bad that the prompt happens most of the time but not all the time, because it means that you'll come to expect it, but then all of a sudden it won't work. (I've had this happen using non-weird weapons with Oka, just by pressing tab, I suspect because I had a throwable weapon quivered and I killed what was next to me, and tab threw a thing, which missed my intended target, and hit an ally, but I can't be certain because I was just tabbing through a group of green rats, and just know that I ended up in the Oka doghouse afterwards.)

If taking Oka means you have to be careful and aware of where you place *every single* blow then it's probably a bad thing that it prompts only some of the time. If the intent is that it prompt you *every* time you attack in a way that could cause penance, then this would qualify as such a case, and should probably be added.

Either that or Oka should just disallow allies entirely.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 17:42

Siegurt wrote:Well, it's probably not actually a bug, but it is inconsistent. The majority of situations where performing an attack which *could* hurt an ally, and therefore cause you penance, give you a prompt. This is one of the cases where it doesn't.

Oh, fair enough. I thought you meant the bug was Oka getting mad.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 17:44

Siegurt wrote:Oka should just disallow allies entirely.

Flavorful and meaningful. Like sacrifice love, but Oka turns allies friendly (like freed slaves) instead of hostile?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 18:39

Lasty wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Well, it's probably not actually a bug, but it is inconsistent. The majority of situations where performing an attack which *could* hurt an ally, and therefore cause you penance, give you a prompt. This is one of the cases where it doesn't.

Oh, fair enough. I thought you meant the bug was Oka getting mad.

No I think the bug would be the lack of warning message (I'm still not sure exactly what situation caused my particular problem, but it's persistent every time I use Oka and have allies (Last time I played a summoner with Oka I got in the Oka doghouse like 5 or 6 times, and I'm still not quite exactly what happened to cause it))

If I could identify the problem, I'd report it, but it only seems to happen when I'm playing fast and killing lots of wimpy things that are not much threat, I plow through them and after a little bit look up and notice my piety is red, and I have no idea what happened (I presume some sort of conflict between autofight and the prompt that says "really fire in your ally's direction" but I don't know)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 18:51

The game will not warn you if there is an ally on the other side of the enemy you are firing at. The optimum strategy here is to manually target using '.' to make sure the missile don't go past the enemy if it misses.

You do get warned about an ally between you and an enemy.

FR (and I know this would be a huge Oka buff): Have Oka block damage dealt by you to allies.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 18:53

Siegurt wrote:If I could identify the problem, I'd report it, but it only seems to happen when I'm playing fast and killing lots of wimpy things that are not much threat, I plow through them and after a little bit look up and notice my piety is red, and I have no idea what happened (I presume some sort of conflict between autofight and the prompt that says "really fire in your ally's direction" but I don't know)

If you were using missiles, there could be an ally behind target and it got hit by your arrow/bolt/javelin after it had missed the target. There is no warning in this case.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 19:19

That's really weird, because spells will warn you if you fire them at an enemy when there is an ally behind it. Why doesn't oka just make it like you pressed '.' on the tile right before the ally, since you can do that yourself for the added price of tedium.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 19:38

I have to say I never pick Oka with summoners just because I hate accidentally pissing him off.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 20:08

dowan wrote:That's really weird, because spells will warn you if you fire them at an enemy when there is an ally behind it. Why doesn't oka just make it like you pressed '.' on the tile right before the ally, since you can do that yourself for the added price of tedium.

Why doesn't Tab make it like that, regardless of what god you are following?

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
dowan

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 20:15

I'm in favor of adding a prompt for this situation. Patches would probably be accepted.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 05:24

Rast wrote:
dowan wrote:That's really weird, because spells will warn you if you fire them at an enemy when there is an ally behind it. Why doesn't oka just make it like you pressed '.' on the tile right before the ally, since you can do that yourself for the added price of tedium.

Why doesn't Tab make it like that, regardless of what god you are following?

There's a setting for it, if you want it on all the time it's:
  Code:
autofight_fire_stop = false
        When firing missiles or throwing objects using autofight, if this
        option is true, shots will stop at the target (like "f.") rather than
        continuing past. Note that this setting may be decidedly suboptimal
        for missiles of penetration.

(Set autofight_fire_stop to true if you want autofight to always behave as if you hit f. instead of ff

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 15:25

I want it to keep going towards enemies, but stop before it hits friends.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 16:07

Lasty wrote:You flailed around with a weapon that can cause explosions while your allies were in range of those possible explosions; I don't think there's any bug or problem here.

Edit: I just realized that the OP might be confused about how spellbinder works. It inflicts antimagic on the target like all antimagic weapons, and that can prevent the target from casting spells. As a second and totally unrelated mechanic, it also can force the target to immediately on hit suffer miscast effects, some of which are explosions.
Can we make the practicality match the flavour? I mean the flavour is the caster's miscast caused the explosion; not the whip and few players would understand that "no, technically it's the whip", it's pretty much only this edge case that makes it relevant, but making it the enemies' "fault" for relevant purposes shouldn't be terribly difficult.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner