MP/energy

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 24th May 2015, 03:47

MP/energy

I'd like to make a suggestion about OP's actual concern: to make all stats useful for all chars.
This makes more things relevant to melee tanks: Int, MP, eyes of draining, but not silence.
It also makes fighting skill less relevant to blaster casters, but physical attacks become less reliable backup for MP depletion.

• Reinterpret MP as energy.
  • Intelligence boosts max MP, but fighting/sc/invo/evo have no effect on max HP/MP.
  • Having a spellcasting skill of 0-8, 9-17, 18-26, 27 means you spend 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3 less MP on casting a spell, respectively.
    (edit: in other words, spells cost spellcasting/9 less MP to cast. If spellcasing/9 is a fraction, it is rounded up or down randomly, weighted by the remainder.)
  • Attacking has a chance to drain 1 MP, depending on the weapon's weight vs your strength, and your fighting skill.
  • You may attack at 0 MP, but you could still drain MP, sending your MP into the negatives.
  • Having -X MP is equivalent to having -X slaying and -X EV.
  • Flavor-wise, you may suggest that intelligent fighters have more foresight about long fights, or that they are more energy-conservative with their attacks.
  • Having hostile monsters in LOS gives some kind of malus to MP regen (a la Slow Healing 1 and 2). Edit: e.g. stalls/prevents 1 of the next 2 bullet points:
  • Edit: Every turn there is a (current satiation/max satiation) chance of losing 2*(4 +/- metabolism mutation level) satiation.
  • Edit: Whenever you lose satiation in this way, you gain 1 MP (unless you are at max MP already).
  • MP regeneration is close to zero at starving, but it's also very hard to hit 0 satiation (hunger ghosts?) - in any case, you never die of starvation.

Anyway, it doesn't seem too complex for players to easily grasp, and just might squash a few longstanding Crawl problems like a large rock of penetration.
If anybody with greater knowledge of Crawl (Sandman?) wants to flesh this mechanic out, I'd suggest starting a new thread.
Last edited by Pollen_Golem on Sunday, 24th May 2015, 20:04, edited 3 times in total.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 24th May 2015, 12:57

Re: Make all stats useful for all chars

Pollen_Golem wrote:I'd like to make a suggestion about OP's actual concern: to make all stats useful for all chars.
This makes more things relevant to melee tanks: Int, MP, eyes of draining, but not silence.
It also makes fighting skill less relevant to blaster casters, but physical attacks become less reliable backup for MP depletion.

• Intelligence boosts max MP, but fighting/sc/invo/evo have no effect on max HP/MP.
  • Having a spellcasting skill of 0-8, 9-17, 18-26, 27 means you spend 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3 less MP on casting a spell, respectively.
  • Attacking has a chance to drain 1 MP, depending on the weapon's weight vs your strength, and your fighting skill.
  • You may attack at 0 MP, but you could still drain MP, sending your MP into the negatives.
  • Flavor-wise, you may suggest that intelligent fighters have more foresight about long fights, or that they are more energy-conservative with their attacks.
  • Having hostile monsters in LOS gives some kind of malus to MP regen (a la Slow Healing 1 and 2).
  • MP is regenerated by converting 0.01% of nutrition into MP per turn, giving about 1 MP/turn at engorged.
  • If you are at max MP, the nutrition vanishes instead of being used to recover MP.
  • MP regeneration is close to zero at starving, but it's also very hard to hit 0 satiation (hunger ghosts?) - in any case, you never die of starvation.

Anyway, it doesn't seem too complex for players to easily grasp, and just might squash a few longstanding Crawl problems like a large rock of penetration.
If anybody with greater knowledge of Crawl (Sandman?) wants to flesh this mechanic out, I'd suggest starting a new thread.

From the POV of a noob who can only play MiBe, this seems to be much more complex than the existing stat system (Perhap only because this is new that the existing one is old), and as you've stated with physical attacks being less useful as a backup once you run out of MP (Or before you use MP is niche situations), it seems to pigeon hole classes as more melee or magic focused, whether that's desirable or not. Again, inexperienced opinions, just giving my first impression of that system.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 24th May 2015, 17:00

Pollen_Golem wrote:I'd like to make a suggestion about OP's actual concern: to make all stats useful for all chars.

• Having hostile monsters in LOS gives some kind of malus to MP regen (a la Slow Healing 1 and 2).
  • MP is regenerated by converting 0.01% of nutrition into MP per turn, giving about 1 MP/turn at engorged.
  • If you are at max MP, the nutrition vanishes instead of being used to recover MP.

I've been playing crawl for 5 or 6 years and I'm having trouble grasping it

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 24th May 2015, 17:23

Well, it's complex, but on about the same level that today's crawl mechanics are complex. Most of the changes replace one odd feature with another odd feature. We're just used to the older odd features, which some of us have spent 5-6 years getting used to. The only really new features are:

Pollen_Golem wrote:

The other ideas are there to accomodate the main 3, and iron out inconsistencies.
Also I'd better reword "0.01% of nutrition" to "0.01% of current satiation level (which is capped at 12000 IIRC)" EDIT: even better, ^
Last edited by Pollen_Golem on Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 00:08

Re: MP/energy

So if you're engorged you regenerate 1.2 energy a turn? And at normal hunger (which is ~3000) you'd get .3 energy a turn? Seems a bit too low for the normal case, and I'm not sure that turning rations into "triple your regeneration for a while" items is really what they are intended to be.

The system as a whole could work, but I'm not sure about tying it into food, unless you're going to really overhaul food. At this point it starts to sound like it'd be better as its own game, though.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 00:44

tasonir wrote:you'd get .3 energy a turn? Seems a bit too low

Too low? Since a starting mage character gets around .1 energy a turn now, .3 is way higher than that. You would get an MP regen malus with monsters in sight, but you wouldn't wait as long to regenerate it when alone.

tasonir wrote:I'm not sure that turning rations into "triple your regeneration for a while" items is really what they are intended to be.

But they could work like that, couldn't they? Their only function now is to avoid starving if you either go to a corpseless branch or get an unfortunate streak of corpse-less kills.

tasonir wrote:I'm not sure about tying it into food, unless you're going to really overhaul food.

I think satiation could be overhauled without affecting how food and eating work. Now, balance, potential issues? I can't foresee all situations, but what's the likelihood of this being more boring or tedious than the current satiation system?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 27th May 2015, 02:08

this is weird and complicated. some people will love that
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner