Non-UC Transmutation Start

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 07:11

Non-UC Transmutation Start

Just an idea. A Transmutations-Start that has a weapon instead of UC Skill:

Staring book contains:
  • Beastly Appendage
  • Stoneskin
  • Petrify
  • Alistair's Intoxication
  • Irradiate

Also starts with Leather Armour, 1-Handed Weapon choice and a /Polymorph (9)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Berder

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 07:33

Re: Non-UC Transmutation Start

hum... any reason in particular?
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 08:29

Hirsch I wrote:hum... any reason in particular?
I started writing a 'new reaver' which was conjurations that debuff as well as damage, making them pair well with melee. But there were too few of those and it spread out over too many spellschools (Dazzling Spray, Mephritic Cloud, Irradiate); circled around and thought this was interesting. IDEA I was going for was start that had Irradiate as its capstone; because it's a powerful, but risky spell that would be very interesting to have early; but isn't as interesting given it's rarity. Also tried to think about a book that would get good use from both skills for a bit, IDK.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 17:02

I like this idea because
  • Petrify
  • Alistair's Intoxication
  • Irradiate
are all spells that don't see much use by transmuters. Because why bother with them when you can just cast blade hands?

But I wonder if it would be strong enough. The spells are not powerful enough to carry the game on their own, therefore the character would have to primarily train melee from the start. And by the time the character is ready to start training spells, I'm not sure that petrify/alistair's intoxication/irradate would be the best things to go for. He'll probably have a spellbook with better stuff in it for a melee character (e.g. regeneration, rmsl, swiftness) by that time. So mostly the starting spellbook would just be used for stoneskin.

So I like the idea, but also I don't like the idea because it would end up being yet another stupid melee class (YASMC) with approximately the same gameplay and skilling as all the other melee classes, with petrify/alistair/irradiate still being ignored.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 17:23

I could see petrify as well as stoneskin being used, but I think berder's right in that alistair's and irradiate aren't really going to be the first spells a primarily melee character is going to want. Beastly appendage functions as normal with weapon users, I assume? It'd be useful for the first few floors as usual then, I suppose. Having a book where you use 3 out of 5 spells is probably about average for most starting spellbooks - there are few where I memorize all of them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 20:06

I like the spell list, because with this start I would use AI, which I otherwise have hardly ever used. (I might have cast it something like 10 years ago.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 20:32

I think this idea is pretty cool. However, it'd be the only starting book with a level 6 spell, which I don't think is a good idea. Give it ignite poison instead of irradiate?
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 21:13

Sharkman1231 wrote:I think this idea is pretty cool. However, it'd be the only starting book with a level 6 spell, which I don't think is a good idea. Give it ignite poison instead of irradiate?

except, it wouldn't? also, ignite pois would be a terrible spell to start with if you don't have a way of, you know, poisoning
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 18th May 2015, 21:22

Whats the lv6 spell then? Pretty sure Invisibility was the only lv6 starting spell since the old conjurer book.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 00:43

Arrhythmia wrote:
Sharkman1231 wrote:I think this idea is pretty cool. However, it'd be the only starting book with a level 6 spell, which I don't think is a good idea. Give it ignite poison instead of irradiate?

except, it wouldn't? also, ignite pois would be a terrible spell to start with if you don't have a way of, you know, poisoning

I didn't know how the reworked ignite poison works. So I was mixing it up w/ the old version.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

For this message the author Sharkman1231 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 02:01

Non-UC Transmutation Start is a great idea! Almost as good as my Non-Damaging Conjuration Start and Non-Ranged Throwing Start ideas.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
archaeo, godzilla, rockygargoyle

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 13:54

Should we call this background Stalker?
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 14:02

duvessa wrote:Non-UC Transmutation Start is a great idea! Almost as good as my Non-Damaging Conjuration Start and Non-Ranged Throwing Start ideas.

Why haven't you shared those ideas?
The former could have both Mephitic Cloud and Dazzling Spray and the latter could have some special needles which work for adjacent monsters only (needle of enslavement? needle of agony?).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 17:10

duvessa wrote:Non-UC Transmutation Start is a great idea! Almost as good as my Non-Damaging Conjuration Start and Non-Ranged Throwing Start ideas.

Fun facts: The conjurations skill governs damage done by conjurations spells. The throwing skill governs damage done by throwing weapons. The unarmed skill does not govern transmutation spell damage, only unarmed attacks made when under the effects a subset of transmutation skills.

It's kind of like how there is a charms spell called sure blade, which improves short blade accuracy greatly, and yet the skald background is able to start with a weapon other than a shortblade. It's almost like you don't need to be able to use every single spell from a school to be able to get use out of that school.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 17:11

Sandman25 wrote:

Why haven't you shared those ideas?.

Sometimes, I like to pretend that the Tavern is just a performance art collective where everyone is trying to reach some kind of peak irony.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 10
all before, and into, Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, duvessa, Greyr, pickled_heretic, Rast, rockygargoyle, tasonir

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 17:18

archaeo wrote:Sometimes, I like to pretend that the Tavern is just a performance art collective where everyone is trying to reach some kind of peak irony.

"Fight fire with fire"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 17:45

Sandman25 wrote:"Fight fire with fire"

"the ending is near"
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 18:14

dowan wrote:It's kind of like how there is a charms spell called sure blade

http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=co ... dec81fce34

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 19:38

Well.... damn it...

Pretend I used an example that applies to the most current version of crawl...

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 21:02

Sprucery wrote:I like the spell list, because with this start I would use AI, which I otherwise have hardly ever used. (I might have cast it something like 10 years ago.)
If you have access to it early; I recommend using it with a "Clarity to clear elf. It's one of the few ways to make elf pretty easy that you can get online early. Confusing half of everything (on intelligent enemy branches) is worthwhile to everyone; but this spell is outshined by ones that could kill in a few turns in later game. Elf is the only place where you can -only- use Alistair's (and not Mass Confusion or Discord to similar effect) because Elves have such high MR; but you can get good utility out of it most places (Orc, Elf, Shoals [Merfolk, Satyrs], Vaults [Vault Guards, Yaktaurs], Depths [Trolls, Spriggans, Ogres], Zot [Draconians], Pandemonium [Demonspawn], Gehenna [Salamanders, Hell Knights]).

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 10:57

I'd play a background that started with the book of alchemy.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 13:56

The problem I've had when using Alistair's intoxication is that the effect is pretty short. I suppose it's like mass confusion in that way. Of course, the problem could be that I've always casted it with low spellpower, but it's been quite underwhelming in my experience.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Sandman25

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 18:21

I've recently tried for fun at high power and its average duration seemed to me very short (like 3-5 turns). Very bad for a multi school spell which usually is casted at low power and has so many strange requisites
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, dowan, rockygargoyle, Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 19:23

It's crappy mass confusion that also confuses you and just for the hell of it drains your int sometimes. If it was level 2 transmutations it might be worth considering.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 21:13

archaeo wrote:Sometimes, I like to pretend that the Tavern is just a performance art collective where everyone is trying to reach some kind of peak irony.

I thanked you ironically.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 21:52

Alistair's intoxication has a fucking great flavor, though. seriously: converting brain into alcohol, used in wizard parties as an icebreaker, that's fucking genius.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
dowan

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 22:12

Hirsch I wrote:Alistair's intoxication has a fucking great flavor, though. seriously: converting brain into alcohol, used in wizard parties as an icebreaker, that's fucking genius.

remove AI, rename mass confuse AI, boom, problem solved
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 12:32

Hirsch I wrote:Alistair's intoxication has a fucking great flavor, though. seriously: converting brain into alcohol, used in wizard parties as an icebreaker, that's fucking genius.

I'd learn the Transmutation/Fire version that coverts brains directly into fire clouds.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 05:27

Petrify and stoneskin are in the starting Earth Elementalist book, and repeating these nifty spells across different backgrounds doesn't sound so great as it takes some bite out of EE. Quite a few great earth spells are also transmutation spells, so earth can be used as a gateway to transmutations.

How about keeping a single transmuter background, but changing some starter book spells?

Remove: Blade Hands.
Put in: Irradiate, Ignite Poison, Alistair's Intoxication.

This way, Tm will have access to a few interesting spells that have nothing to do with forms, and which are not found in other starter books.
It also won't be unique among books in having a really awesome level-5 spell that can carry you through the game (blade hands).
Even with 7 spells, Book of Changes would not be too big, because that's how many spells are in Book of Minor Magic.
There will also be a reason to let ghouls begin as transmuters.

e: Transmuters should get to pick a weapon at char-gen, like Warpers and Skalds. Understandably, unarmed will remain the most popular choice.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 17:47

archaeo wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

Why haven't you shared those ideas?.

Sometimes, I like to pretend that the Tavern is just a performance art collective where everyone is trying to reach some kind of peak irony.

Who said anything about pretending?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 19:56

I like to start transmuters and ignore all their spells except summon snakes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 20:22

I like to start transmuters and ignore all their spells except the ones that aren't summon snakes. god i hate summons

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 22:44

I like to start tavern threads and ignore all the posts that aren't by non-duvessas.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
tasonir

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 23:31

i like to do that too

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
rockygargoyle, Sandman25, tasonir

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 15:32

I liked sticks to snakes back when you could turn giant clubs into anacondas and black mambas. It's a pretty boring spell now though.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 18:46

Rast wrote:I like to start tavern threads and ignore all the posts that aren't by non-duvessas.

this, but unironically

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner