How many unique players/downloads does DCSS have?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 03:52

How many unique players/downloads does DCSS have?

Title says it all really. I'm curious and I have no idea where I'd find the statistics :)

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 05:10

Re: How many unique players/downloads does DCSS have?

Crawl is FOSS, so very few of the players actually get it from the website or main git repo. This makes it basically impossible to say how many people play it. I'm pretty sure CAO tracks some activity statistics, but those wouldn't really be representative of the entire player base either.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 07:55

Like godzilla says, nobody knows. We did two surveys among Crawl players, the last one of them was running for a long while and explicitly addressed local-only players, too. Take that number and multiply it whatever factor suits your fancy. More details:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/DCSS_Survey_summary.pdf

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
shnurlf

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 16:20

dpeg wrote:Like godzilla says, nobody knows. We did two surveys among Crawl players, the last one of them was running for a long while and explicitly addressed local-only players, too. Take that number and multiply it whatever factor suits your fancy. More details:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/DCSS_Survey_summary.pdf

Thats was very insightful read, thank you

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner