God of Exploration

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 17:33

God of Exploration

I've been trying to think of a very passive god that allows for casual advantages over time and encourages switching things up.

God of exploration:
No piety.
Only thing punished is going up to previous completed levels when not on orbrun and when the branch isn't completed- you lose your abilities for that level.

You gain abilities for clearing branches.

The Dungeon: 2x of ?tele ?blink ?fog
The Lair: +5% HP
Water branch: Evocable flight
Poison branch: rPois
Slime: rCorr
Orc: 1x ench weapon and 2x ench armour.
Elf: +MR
Vaults: +2 Slay
Crypt: +rNeg
Tomb: +Torment
Depths: +5% HP and MP
Cocytus: +rC
Gehenna: +rF
Tartarus: ++rNeg
The Iron City of Dis: +5AC
Abyss (get rune): Evocable ctrlTele
Zot: rMut

+1 Slay per completed Zig
Labyrinth: 3x ?mapping
Sewer: 2x !curing
Volcano/Ice caves: 2x !resistance.
Ossuary: +2 !removeCurse
Wizlab: +MR, +5%MP
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 18:09

Re: God of Exploration

1. http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=sh ... acking_god
2. I think the bonuses are very milquetoast (most are duplicated by items), not unified and too obvious. (nearly every bonus is catered to its branch, giving too many bonuses to track.) Plus, if the bonuses are awarded for clearing the branch instead of entering the branch (which is how I understand the current setup) then wouldn't the player prove they don't need the bonus? E.g. if the player can clear the poison branch, then they didn't really need the rPois...
3. The punishment is very loose for what could otherwise be an interesting conduct, as it just makes you godless (as opposed to the experimental branch version which reduces max HP/MP.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 18:32

I think reducing overall monster XP rewards and adding a mechanic that rewarded exploration/discovery with XP (scaled to depth) would be interesting, especially for non-combat builds. At worst, having a god ability that applied this mechanic might be interesting.

The pre-generated floor could take 20% of all XP from all generated monsters and distribute it across the level;
general exploration provides up to 100% of that total;
"discovering" of a given monster 10% of the monster's XP;
damaging but not killing the monster rewards up to 20% of the monster's XP based on the % of damage the monster was reduced to.
Killing (or otherwise rendering reversibly (on attack) non-hostile) the monster would give any leftover XP.
Last edited by XuaXua on Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 18:39

Alright, post cancelled :-)
Last edited by Turukano on Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 19:00

Search found 163 matches: diety

why

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
rockygargoyle, tedric, TeshiAlair

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 20:44

The proposal is not bland enough. Make it a deity available only to demigods, that should help.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 12th May 2015, 21:41

TeshiAlair wrote:I've been trying to think of a very passive god that allows for casual advantages over time and encourages switching things up.

God of exploration:

Ash?...

Just saying, first thing that occured to me on reading the outline.

Also some of your rewards are fixes to problems presented by the branch thats just been cleared, right around the time I stop caring about some of them (rCorr). I probably never need rF+++ after Gehanna, and by that late on probably cant even avoid a rF pip if I tried. In a 3-rune run I also get rMut right after I stop wanting it in any realistic scenario.

All just seems tailored to getting all the resists and basic intrinsics off the gear so you can stack even more awesomeness through artifacts/egos (i.e. make sure to clear zot as well as slime before going to the rest of extended so your can wear clarity/regen/art amulet and save swapspace). Build a nice zig-farmer though.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 13th May 2015, 02:40

That was kind of the point.

1. Noob god that's not trog.
2. God that doesn't just make branches super easy, but rather "you beat the challenge of the branch, so you get the reward that would have made it easier."
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 13th May 2015, 06:56

TeshiAlair wrote:"you beat the challenge of the branch, so you get the reward that would have made it easier."

This is the opposite of a reward. Imagine enrolling in medical school to pursue your lifelong dream of practicing internal medicine only to discover that all the medical textbooks are out of print and you can't even find a copy on eBay, but you really want to be a doctor so you attend all the lectures and you take good notes and work really hard and don't get enough sleep and give up your social life and pass all your classes and manage to graduate, and then instead of a diploma that means you've earned the right to be a doctor and make zillions of dollars saving lives, they hand you a tri-fold pamphlet on how to apply band-aids.

Actually this proposal sounds a lot like a "metroidvania" game, except all the power-ups are in the wrong places. But I love metroidvania games, so it got me thinking about how this could be made to actually work. A better version, I think, would place specific bonuses semi-randomly in a way that encouraged a variety of "non-standard" progressions through the game. For instance, the following permanent intrinsic bonuses could have equal chance to be gained by stepping on a particular "goal" tile on the lowest floor of the branches indicated:

rPois: Dungeon, Orc, Lair
MR++: Dungeon, Orc, Lair
AC+5: Dungeon, Orc, Lair
rCorr: Vaults, non-Slime Lair branches
rMsl: Vaults, Slime, Depths
Flight: Slime, Hall of Blades, Spider/Snake
rNeg: Slime, Elf, Depths
rMut: Elf, non-Slime Lair branches
...etc. (Obviously the numbers would have to be worked out so that each bonus could generate in one of X number of branches and ever branch could generate one of X number of bonuses and all bonuses could be evenly distributed every game; and there'd be plenty of tweaking to determine what the bonuses should actually be and where each one should be able to place in order to create meaningful choices as described below.)

As soon as you start worshiping Samus Belmont (yeah yeah the letters are taken), she tells you where she has placed each of the bonuses. Now you're faced with a bunch of choices. If rPois has generated in Orc, maybe you do that before Lair this game; but if it's on D:15, maybe you're not willing to dive that far and have to suffer through Lair without. But once you finish Lair and get MR++, you might choose to dip into Elf as far as the Hall of Blades so you can pick up Flight before tackling Swamp/Shoals. Or you might want to avoid Elf until you have rMsl, which in this game could mean doing Swamp/Shoals without Flight so you can pick up rCorr and try Slime for rMsl. And so forth, with further permutations based (like always) on what the RNG gives you.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks: 2
dowan, Sprucery

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 13th May 2015, 09:38

Another god without piety and Invocation skill requirement? Thanks, but no.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 13th May 2015, 11:43

God of Exploration - fixes autoexplore not to waste turns when I press o :)
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th May 2015, 14:44

duvessa wrote:Search found 163 matches: diety

why

"I before E
Except after C,
Unless pronounced A
As in 'neighbor' or 'weigh'"

It's a rule that is simple, concise and efficeint.
For all speceis of spelling it's more than sufficeint.
Against words wild and wierd, it's one law that shines bright
Blazing out like a beacon upon a great hieght,

It gives guidance impartial, sceintific and fair
In this language, this tongue to which we are all hier.
'Gainst the glaceirs of ignorance that icily frown,
This great precept gives warmth, like a thick iederdown.

Now, a few in soceity choose to deride,
To cast DOUBT on this anceint and venerable guide;
They unwittingly follow a foriegn agenda,
A plot hatched, I am sure, in some vile haceinda.

In our work and our liesure, our homes and our schools,
Let us follow our consceince, sieze proudly our rules!
Will I dilute my standards, make them vaguer and blither?
I say NO, I will not! I trust you will not iether.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
n1000

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 02:37

they say travel is the bane of racism; so maybe this god hates Beogh. Maybe Beogh needs a buff where with the new ability you can suicide bomb and kill all the foul scum that dare stand against the orcish master race. Maybe I'm drunk and depressed and am taking it out on a thread in a nonsensical manner.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 03:22

bcadren wrote:Maybe I'm drunk and depressed and am taking it out on a thread in a nonsensical manner.

Might be but your ideas are cool. We're all gonna make it, brah

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 03:58

n1000 wrote:
bcadren wrote:Maybe I'm drunk and depressed and am taking it out on a thread in a nonsensical manner.

Ideas are completely worthless without the ambition to bring them to reality. I seem to keep having problems in that department.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 04:07

Here we go again!
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 12:38

bcadren wrote:
n1000 wrote:

Ideas are completely worthless without the ambition to bring them to reality. I seem to keep having problems in that department.

You're drunk bcadren, go home, and stay off the internets until you sober up. Drunken internetting is good for nobody.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner