Pollen and Bcadren

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 18:52

Pollen and Bcadren

Why do Pollen_Golem and bcadren only post in CYC?

In particular, bcadren's posts could be taken a lot more seriously in GDD (not that we don't take em seriously, but come on, it's CYC)

(No offence to Pollen)
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 19:23

Re: Pollen and Bcadren

bcadren DOES post in GDD. But his posts get moved to CYC.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Bloax, XuaXua

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 19:32

Ive noticed lately; Bcadren seems to be taking himself less seriously; step in the right direction [I think].
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 19:44

Some of Bcadren's posts are in GDD, and are fairly good. In particular, he was the one who started the thread about animate dead behaving differently in water branches if you can swim (it then animates corpses that were underwater). A fix for which has already been implemented in trunk. Sure, his god ideas don't get implemented, but that's because no one's god ideas get implemented. Smaller inconsistencies are the kinds of GDD topics that get traction because they're clearly wrong and easier to fix.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, n1000, rockygargoyle, XuaXua

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 00:55

Fair enough.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 01:11

Yea; obvious bugs and small things get implemented faster. Also I only post finished ideas to GDD for the most part. OR smaller changes; or fixed mechanics changes (removing ammo discussions)...

That reminds me. Could someone Wizmode to see if this bug is still around in trunk and bug report it if it is:

If you use (Delayed) Fireball while having DChannel active; there's a chance you'll kill the target with your FBall and it will immediately spawn the spectral thing inside the FBall's radius and it will become immediately hostile. Appears to only happen if the target is the center of the fireball, rather than just within the explosion radius. [Might also check if it happens with any other wide AoE spells.]

I didn't want to download current trunk just to test it and didn't think that was worth it's own thread.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 01:59

Just tested it - the bug wasn't fixed yet.
Edit: the same thing happens with regular fireball, firestorm, chain lightning, static discharge, irradiate, tornado (obviously), sometimes with the bolt spells but not with glaciate (and shatter, because they aren't affected by it).

For this message the author rockygargoyle has received thanks:
bcadren

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 03:08

rockygargoyle wrote:Just tested it - the bug wasn't fixed yet.
Edit: the same thing happens with regular fireball, firestorm, chain lightning, static discharge, irradiate, tornado (obviously), sometimes with the bolt spells but not with glaciate (and shatter, because they aren't affected by it).
Suppose the easy solution is making Spectrals spawn outside of the radius if possible (or just making them a non-target FOR THAT TURN). You couldn't make DChannel and Tornado work together at all, but that's ok; no reasonable player would expect that. It'd be difficult to make it work with FStorm, but also ok. The Bolts + FBall are the least expected, suppose.

[I noticed the glitch in 0.15 playing a OpFE^Kiku [which won after leaving Kiku for Vehu]].
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 03:19

tasonir wrote:Sure, his god ideas don't get implemented, but that's because no one's god ideas get implemented.

Then explain Gozag, man.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 03:43

XuaXua wrote:
tasonir wrote:Sure, his god ideas don't get implemented, but that's because no one's god ideas get implemented.

Then explain Gozag, man.
DPEG is the exception that proves the rule. {Gozag, Fedhas Madash and Cheibriados are DPEG's} Think those are the only gods that were proposed by a different person than implemented them.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 05:35

bcadren wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

Then explain Gozag, man.
DPEG is the exception that proves the rule. {Gozag, Fedhas Madash and Cheibriados are DPEG's} Think those are the only gods that were proposed by a different person than implemented them.

dith was proposed by mikee and made by sgrunt
take it easy

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 07:20

bcadren wrote:DPEG is the exception that proves the rule. {Gozag, Fedhas Madash and Cheibriados are DPEG's} Think those are the only gods that were proposed by a different person than implemented them.

bcadren while you're here can you explain how you use parentheses, square brackets, and curly brackets? Is there a method to the madness, or do you just go with whatever catches your fancy?

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 07:23

archaeo wrote:
bcadren wrote:DPEG is the exception that proves the rule. {Gozag, Fedhas Madash and Cheibriados are DPEG's} Think those are the only gods that were proposed by a different person than implemented them.

bcadren while you're here can you explain how you use parentheses, square brackets, and curly brackets? Is there a method to the madness, or do you just go with whatever catches your fancy?
I do a lot of Javascript coding; I picked up using them a lot from there. I consciously realize they aren't used similar in normal English, but I have a bit of a habit, I guess. I AM capable of proper grammar if syntax and usage are the primary things on my mind while writing (or if I go through multiple revisions); but I mostly just use what comes to mind as I'm writing. I mean you understand me, right? You aren't going SYNTAX ERROR every time I use punctuation strangely?

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 5
archaeo, Arrhythmia, Hirsch I, rockygargoyle, TeshiAlair

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 07:39

bcadren wrote:I do a lot of Javascript coding; I picked up using them a lot from there. I consciously realize they aren't used similar in normal English, but I have a bit of a habit, I guess. I AM capable of proper grammar if syntax and usage are the primary things on my mind while writing (or if I go through multiple revisions); but I mostly just use what comes to mind as I'm writing. I mean you understand me, right? You aren't going SYNTAX ERROR every time I use punctuation strangely?

No, I was just honestly curious.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 14:48

SYNTAX ERROR
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Greyr

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 07:03

Let's change XuaXua's avatar back to the previous one
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 08:09

bcadren wrote:dpeg is the exception that proves the rule. {Gozag, Fedhas Madash and Cheibriados are dpeg's} Think those are the only gods that were proposed by a different person than implemented them.
Apart from what's already been said: I am not aware of any god that's been made (design or code) by a single person. It's always been a group effort.

For example, I suggested an Abyss god (with powers to leave and enter the Abyss), and it was considered a good idea. Then it was discussed and the other powers were suggested.

The core idea for the slime god (you get piety from fellow jellies slurping items) was suggested by Cyrus (I think) in an ancient Sourceforge FR. That idea is so cute that it was carried around (on the dev wiki!) and got into the game when we made it an Implementable on Mantis (actually implemented thanks to 78291, who kept caring for Jiyva ever since).

Bottom line: never expect a GDD proposal to become a god, especially not as-is. If you get positive feedback, consider tweaking your design. If your god ever wants to have a chance being implemented, make a dev wiki page.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 15:20

TehDruid wrote:Let's change XuaXua's avatar back to the previous one

There is already a thread for this sort of talk.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 16:27

Wasn't Ru called Iashol once?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 18:49

treerex5 wrote:Wasn't Ru called Iashol once?

Yes, with an "I", I believe. Rhymed too much with " asshole" I believe.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 23:45

"I, Asshole"
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 7th May 2015, 02:19

Seeing as he makes you give up body parts permanently, and even if you escape with the orb you're forever maimed, that name sounds oddly appropriate.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 7th May 2015, 06:01

And he pretty much makes sure nobody will want to play baseball with you ever again.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 7th May 2015, 17:32

I coded up Wulndraste, but didn't come up with much of the god's design (will try to revisit that when I have time). Also, I've got some interest in coding up something based in ideas in the Miroesh thread.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 9th May 2015, 06:10

rockygargoyle wrote:Just tested it - the bug wasn't fixed yet.

This is now mantis bug 9710. The correct solution is kind of complicated, so I'm putting it off for now.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner