Give ?recharging a chance to destroy wands

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 03:43

Give ?recharging a chance to destroy wands

It seems like a concern that wands of haste/heal wounds can have practically limitless charges, meaning there's not much reason to be conservative in using them.
What if ?recharging had a 50/50 chance of destroying/recharging the wand? That would mean you would actually need to be careful about not overusing a wand.
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks:
Sandman25

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 03:44

Re: Give ?recharging a chance to destroy wands

No.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 04:08

Would you care to elaborate?
Comborobin Admin

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 04:29

Just removing recharging (enchant weapon can be extended to work on rods) and maybe tweaking average wand charge number would make a lot more sense than turning recharging into a form of item destruction that actually limits choices about when and how to use ?recharging while also making stashing and inventory management more important (not fun).

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 04:29

• Makes it optimum behavior to only recharge empty wands; which is more tedious.
  • This Trove requires a Wand of Hasting [8].
  • We recently removed potential failure from scrolls of bless weapon and potential CATASTROPHIC failure to a different scroll both feels like backpedaling and wouldn't be a popular move.
  • Nerfing a bunch of common (and largely weak) items to rebalance a very rare one is a bad move.
  • HW wands are already balanced by not getting that many charges from a ?Recharging and would never realistically be so spammable as to be readily usable in non-ABOUT TO DIE situations.
  • Makes DD much harder than other races. Similar note for making Mu EVEN harder.
  • But the #1 reason; we don't need it /HW isn't Overpowered.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Rast, rockygargoyle

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 04:32

bcadren wrote:
  • Makes it optimum behavior to only recharge empty wands; which is more tedious.
  • This Trove requires a Wand of Hasting [8].
  • We recently removed potential failure from scrolls of bless weapon and potential CATASTROPHIC failure to a different scroll both feels like backpedaling and wouldn't be a popular move.
  • Nerfing a bunch of common (and largely weak) items to rebalance a very rare one is a bad move.
  • HW wands are already balanced by not getting that many charges from a ?Recharging and would never realistically be so spammable as to be readily usable in non-ABOUT TO DIE situations.
  • Makes DD much harder than other races. Similar note for making Mu EVEN harder.
  • But the #1 reason; we don't need it /HW isn't Overpowered.

No.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 2
Hirsch I, Sandman25

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 11:05

I have gone through extended without the Haste spell (only a wand) 3 times, and I never felt that I have limitless charges. In the first try I had to give up going for 15 runes (and I ascended with 13), and the main reason was that my haste wand and recharging scrolls dried up; and I used the very last charge during the ascension.

Additionally, can you think of a worse idea than bringing back item destruction (and all the tedium with it)? Currently I can't.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 11:24

Magipi wrote:Additionally, can you think of a worse idea than bringing back item destruction (and all the tedium with it)? Currently I can't.

Well, I was thinking of rounding up all crawl players to a concentration camp, but eh, it's a toss-up.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 11:38

isn't that pretty much what Tavern is

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 5
archaeo, Arrhythmia, PleasingFungus, Rast, rockygargoyle

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 12:49

I think ?recharging should act as a ?EW for electrocution weapons. This will introduce many interesting decisions.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 18:08

and into wrote:Just removing recharging (enchant weapon can be extended to work on rods)

While I wouldn't mind this terribly do keep in mind that you're talking about giving a ton of extra recharging scrolls to the few characters who focus on unarmed without also picking up a ranged weapon, or to mages who might be fine with keeping a +3 weapon since it's for popcorn only, or people who get lucky and found a +11 artefact anyways...

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 18:28

I like the idea. Not because I think there's too much /haste /hw (I am agnostic on this), but because having your ?recharge occasionally backfire creates suspense.

50% boom sounds high though. I think you could induce plenty of anxiety with a lower boom rate.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 22:04

It certainly feels to me like a wand of haste or HW with ?recharging gives too many uses. Granted this depends a ton on character choice and playing style. In an extended game I typically find 5-10 ?recharging and rarely use HW, so it means I can use ton of haste.

What "too many uses" means is the issue here I guess. Obviously there is disagreement. Also number of charges could be cut in other ways than destroying the wand.
Comborobin Admin

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 22:31

How about a chance to reduce max charges by 1?

For this message the author Elystan has received thanks: 3
Rast, Sar, The Ferret

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 1st May 2015, 15:27

How about if recharging is too common, reduce the odds of recharging spawning, instead of re-adding a form of item destruction as a weird backdoor nerf to 1 or 2 wands.

If recharging were as rare as wands of HW, then the (already non-existent) problem is (even more) solved.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Rast

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st May 2015, 15:32

The thing is, I don't want to nerf recharging spawn rates, because I would want it to be generally available to use on wands even if you've got haste/HW in inventory.
Comborobin Admin

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 1st May 2015, 15:56

If there is a problem with too many charges there are many better solutions than item destruction:

• Eliminate the wand
• Lower max charges on the wand
• Less effective recharge for the wand

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st May 2015, 17:08

IMO 'item destruction' is no the right term for this effect. Historically item destruction been a consequence of enemy/environmental effects that were never really under direct player control, and encouraged tedious behavior like dropping potions and scrolls. I don't see this change encouraging any type of tedious behavior.

I'm talking about changing the way we think of wands. The 0 charge wand is already effectively 'destroyed', and ?recharging would give a chance of restoring the wand to a useful condition once again.
Comborobin Admin

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 1st May 2015, 19:14

It encourages keeping track of redundant wands of haste/tele/heal wounds, instead of just dumping spares after they've run out of charges.

This proposal also unnecessarily punishes some under-equipped early-game characters who want attack wands to deal with difficult monsters. I've never heard anyone say wands of fire are overpowered; why nerf them?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner