Cherufe

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 02:23

Cherufe

Another attempt at a race with fire-affinity. The primary gimmick of Cherufe is trading defenses for high attack power. Generally weak defensively with high power whether they choose Conjurations or Axes. Not very adaptable. As for the real world basis; mythological fire creatures that love to eat human flesh (the reason people threw virgins into volcanoes).

Mutations/Weirdness:
  • Scorching I/II/III - Unique mutation [Start; XL 12; XL 24]
    • You are hot to the touch. [Enemies that hit you get a d9 recoil hit back which ONLY checks rF.]
    • Your flesh is scorching hot. [d14 hit back]
    • You explode with fire. [Same as II on most hits; on major hits (!+) you give an inner flame-like explosion. For 2d9]
  • Ignition - Unique Mutation [You have an (a)bility to temporarily make any melee weapon (including UC) flaming branded. Effect lasts until cancelled or weapon switch.]
  • Glowing - Unique Mutation "You radiate light." [You are permanently Corona'd giving enemies additional to-hit on you.]
  • Deformed I [1/2 AC most armours]
  • Carnivore III
  • Fast Metabolism II
  • Natural Fire Enhancers (XL 12, XL 24)
  • rF (Immune); rC-
  • Cherufe gain 1 point of innate slaying every 3 levels. +9 at XL 27.
  • You cannot cast Ice Form, Ozo's Armour or Condensation Shield.

Apts:
  Code:
Ch: Fighting: 0, Short: -1, Long: 1, Axes: 2, Maces: 0, Polearms: -1, Staves: -1, Slings: -1, Bows: -2, Xbows: -1, Throw: -1, Armour: -3*, Dodge: -3*, Stealth: -2, Shields: -2, UC: 0, Splcast: -1, Conj: 1, Hexes: -1, Charms: -1, Summ: -1, Nec: -1, Tloc: -1, Tmut: -1, Fire: 3!, Ice: -5*, Air: -2, Earth: 0, Poison: 0, Inv: -1*, Evo: -1, Exp: -1, HP: -3, MP: 0
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 17:19

Re: Cherufe

this is pretty much just a fire-themed "punch hard species". I dont really see what this brings to the table, besides the flavour.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 17:48

Also as cool as fire immunity is, I think it breaks too much of the game. rF+ is fine, let them have some physical bodies and just be fire attuned, rather than complete spirits. IMHO, this was the worst part of Djinns, not the combined essence (hp+mp as one) mechanic. Part of me still holds out hope that essence can work :)

Edit: Also, there really isn't much trading going on here. The only "weak defenses" they have is deformed body, nothing else stops them from getting high ac/ev. Too many benefits to limited penalties. Oh, and corona, although I don't think that's terribly bad.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 20:18

has the first 3 letters of Chei in it

No
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

For this message the author treerex5 has received thanks:
Rast

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 21:13

tasonir wrote:Edit: Also, there really isn't much trading going on here. The only "weak defenses" they have is deformed body, nothing else stops them from getting high ac/ev. Too many benefits to limited penalties. Oh, and corona, although I don't think that's terribly bad.
I honestly though -3 on Armour/Dodging and HP might be a little too harsh; you saying it's not?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 22:17

Were the apts added into the post later on? I don't remember seeing them, although it's possible I just missed it before.

Aptitudes don't really limit the skills that much, although it certainly has some impact. Centaurs have -3/-3, and still usually get pretty decent AC scores and train armor. The barding helps, but even without it, they'd get ac. They don't tend to dodge much but that's a combination of the -3 dodging and being large, more than just the -3 dodging.

Looking over the aptitudes the more immediate concern is -3 hp, which is terrible, and I'm not sure why I'd want to give up that much hp for a thorns effect and flaming branded attacks. Carnivore/fast metabolism/eating virgins thrown into volcanos seems fairly tacked on and could be removed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 22:22

For reference, here's my last centaur from the .16 tournament: they have -3/-3, and deformed body, just like Cherufe.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 104317.txt

49 ac, 19 ev. Not worshipping Chei. The +10 barding is extreme, sure, but I had a -1 cloak and my body armor was 3 under max. Of course having something as good as pearl dragon armor isn't terribly common, but in any case.

I suppose the real point is that I still had ~18 skill in armor/dodging in a 3 rune game.

Edit: second example: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 091706.txt
Less extreme gear, even used a somewhat "bad" +3 ring mail because it had 4 resists. 33ac 23 ev. Normal (ac-wise) +4 barding. 19 armor/dodging, but being a berserker does leave you a lot of experience. Dunno if this is proving much, just some food for thought.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 04:40

Very tangential, but it might be worth noting there was already an implementation of a species called 'cherufes' in pubby's old 'smithgod' branch. Carnivorous, molten scales, not sure what else they had going on.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 19:25

speaking of it, what came of Pubby's Smithgod, and Dpeg's Equipgod? I liked those ideas.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 22:56

Nothing.

Ideas don't go anywhere without someone willing to put in the work to push them through.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 23:01

For more details: it was mostly coded, had an experimental branch up on the servers, and then in the bug fixing/balancing part of development, the developer stopped updating it. I think someone else took on the task of rebasing it (ie, taking all of the general crawl updates and applying it to the experimental branch) so it was more up to date, but even that rebase is now months/a year or so out of date. Someone who wanted to program the god should probably pick up that branch again, it was mostly done, but updating it to run on trunk will be a decent amount of work, and then you have to also finish the god. The design might also need to be updated as other things in crawl make have taken some of the mechanics.

I didn't play on the experimental branch but I believe some games were won on it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 23:24

give me a year. after I manage to code that potion Bcadren proposed, I'll start doing those gods. crawl's code is complex, maaaaaan

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner