hp bars

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 23:29

hp bars

Sandman25 wrote:
Sar wrote:elliptic is also a gifted mathematician and a chess prodigy

Yes, I know. When I was spectating one of his games I was really surprised that he trained UC to 27 really early (about getting 1st rune), he basically rushed to it ignoring everything else. It is impossible to do without spoilers/experience because new player cannot know that UC 27 is about 2.5 times better than UC 18. Melee formula is not written in the manual, you know?

PS. I used to be a talented child (not genius as elliptic though), always was first in the whole school/university but at least I understand why the damage display can be mistakenly seen as "unnecessary" and "won't do" by those who can calculate it in their mind and by those who underestimate importance of decisions in crawl.

Edit. Now you probably can see why I don't mind arguing with anyone, I have multiple experience of situations where it was proved that I was right when everyone else was saying that I am wrong :)
I have no piety before elliptic or dev team as a whole or whatever. Everyone can be wrong. Yes, including me ;)

I have a feeling that crawl attracts that kind of person in general. I mean we are the type of people who would play a game that complicated; which is that difficult to understand for...basically boredom.

Personally; my primary natural talent is spacial battery (understanding of positioning and shapes in 2D and 3D). I also was both offered to go to college early (1240/1600 SAT score at 11 y/o) and had straight perfect scores on standard examinations through elementary and high school (600/600 SOL Scores; all of them).

As I've mentioned before I originally came to crawl from a research standpoint; one of the first things I remember noting is that for some reason it actually does simple cylindrical wave propagation correctly (sounds actually diffract through doorways like they would IRL). I have no idea how much this affects gameplay compared to if it just radiated outward plainly; but it was such a level of detail that no one would notice; without looking at the code. Anyways; I'm just taking a break from Ludum Dare; be back after... Well be back to underwater crawl; muahaha. I'm glad to say I'm back to being myself and my clarity of thought and motivation are here for now. I -should- have underwater crawl up within a week or so unless I end up polishing on a post-compo version of this LD project.

[/side track]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 23:36

Re: Display average HP as bar

bcadren wrote:I -should- have underwater crawl up within a week or so unless I end up polishing on a post-compo version of this LD project.

I hope you are not joking, it would be interesting to try it. I hope it displays average HP as bar :)

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 04:41

Sandman25 wrote:
bcadren wrote:I -should- have underwater crawl up within a week or so unless I end up polishing on a post-compo version of this LD project.

I hope you are not joking, it would be interesting to try it. I hope it displays average HP as bar :)
back. (Don't think I'm going to finish LD on time; I underestimated how complex/from scratch I was being. (it's a game based on a skatepark; the physics being ran in a virtual grid testing tile data against the board's virtual position; I don't have nothing; but I underestimated the sheer amount of cases to test for in types of adjacent squares...I'll finish it; not sure if on time.)

Anyways; yea underwater crawl is real. My first public 'push' (version 0.0.0 if you will) will be little more than an alpha to see how the mechanics work. Almost no art (choice of 3D letters or some tiles from actual crawl) and the only enemies being melee-only fish. It's REALLY just a test right now and the first public version will also be a test "Does the public like these mechanics well enough to make a full game?" CubeLoS, 26 movement directions (27 if you count resting), etc.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Sandman25

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 05:30

bcadren wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

back. (Don't think I'm going to finish LD on time; I underestimated how complex/from scratch I was being. (it's a game based on a skatepark; the physics being ran in a virtual grid testing tile data against the board's virtual position; I don't have nothing; but I underestimated the sheer amount of cases to test for in types of adjacent squares...I'll finish it; not sure if on time.)

Anyways; yea underwater crawl is real. My first public 'push' (version 0.0.0 if you will) will be little more than an alpha to see how the mechanics work. Almost no art (choice of 3D letters or some tiles from actual crawl) and the only enemies being melee-only fish. It's REALLY just a test right now and the first public version will also be a test "Does the public like these mechanics well enough to make a full game?" CubeLoS, 26 movement directions (27 if you count resting), etc.

but will it support oculus

For this message the author Sivar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 18:42

Re: hp bars

I want to support this project but I feel like it needs to be outer space rather than underwater. Space orcs have a rich and storied history.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 19:19

Crawl does seem to attract those who are good at math. Iʻm not personally, but I respect those who value objective truth and who are not averse to precise reasoning. I think Crawl, like chess, punishes loose and undisciplined thinking.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 20:15

moocowmoocow wrote:Crawl does seem to attract those who are good at math.

I don't think it's a good idea to tie the numeric damage results to completely changing the text string - there's a lot of ways to go with text strings and making them more complex is likely to be confusing/off putting to a lot of people. Also a significant majority of rolls are below median damage, it is not an even distribution, so you'd see a lot of weak hits and only rarely get the 75%+ range.

You throw a javelin with 5 slaying and hit one creature. Slaying adds a total 1d5 damage.

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 2 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 2d10 damage.

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 3 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 3d15 damage.

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 4 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 4d20 damage...

Put another way, this character has a damage range of 1 to 186, yet the median damage is 51. Median is a much better way to describe the "average" hit since this graph is quite heavily skewed to the left, so mean is misrepresentative.

What I, and I think a lot of people are arguing for, is that it would be better to have a single roll (or similar), do 1dX for damage, and have the average actually be the mean. You'd have to lower the top damage, so in the example ogre instead of 186 max you might end up with around 110 max, but actually roll 55 for the median hit.

Actually: the mean number of an item in a game isn't the most useful stat. Quantiles (say, min, 1st quartile, median, 3rd quartile, max) would be better. Mean & SD are only informative if the data are likely to be normally distributed; these are probably not.

File200 wrote:rPois is not guaranteed to prevent poison. It's only about 90% effective iirc. What you're seeing is either clustering or confirmation bias.

Interestingly I expected either answer and I disagree which is why I posted this query. Thanks for your contribution.
Last edited by duvessa on Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 20:31

Iʻm assuming those are examples of erroneous reasoning. Iʻd like to laugh along, but am bad enough at math to not be able to identify them. Probably a good lesson for me not to comment on things I donʻt know about.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 20:36

Code:
You throw a javelin with 5 slaying and hit one creature. Slaying adds a total 1d5 damage.

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 2 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 2d5 damage.

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 3 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 3d5 damage.

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 4 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 4d5 damage...

Actually this was a nice example of smart reasoning. Author realized that he was wrong with his "slaying has multiplicative effect" and created a brilliant argument to prove a false claim.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 23:41

I apologize for accidentally mixing up median and mean, I think my intention was clear :P

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 23:58

tasonir wrote:I apologize for accidentally mixing up median and mean, I think my intention was clear :P
Course you can't use Mode in crawl. Low accuracy means most weapons do an average damage of 0 if you use Mode.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 00:12

Sandman25 wrote:
  Code:

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 2 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 2d5 damage.

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 3 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 3d5 damage.

You throw a penetrating javelin with 5 slaying and hit 4 creatures. Slaying adds a total of 4d5 damage...

Actually this was a nice example of smart reasoning. Author realized that he was wrong with his "slaying has multiplicative effect" and created a brilliant argument to prove a false claim.
Oops, I quoted the wrong version of that post. Fixed.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner