Various ideas

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 09:34

Various ideas

Have a bunch of small ideas, wanted to share it with you. Posting them all in one thread for convenience.

1) Yredelemnul and Dithmenos altars look similar on a dungeon floor background. Maybe Dith altar should be changed?

2) Why do we have so many maces and only one (mundane) hammer? We need a 2H Warhammer! Replace Dire flail for instance. Flavor change really, but hey!

3) Merge ring of loudness and stealth - display Stlth+/-. Make it possible for ring of stealth be negative.

4) Add more outright negative jewelery. Amulet/ring of Contamination for example. Ring of frailty (-10% HP), amulet of (stat) degeneration etc.
Maybe make it possible for rFoo rings be cursed with according vulnerability instead.

5) New ranged weapon for throwing with unlimited use - chakram! In power somewhere in between tomahawks and javelins, but enchantable and have innate returning (% of return dependent on throwing skill).

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 09:58

Re: Various ideas

2) the +9 Maxwell's Silver Hammer. (unique base type) (-3 Accuracy/14 Damage/1.6 Base Delay/0.6 Min Delay) [1H Ax; does not cleave Hydra heads] {Silver} hehe...similar gimmick to the Laj of Order so need a better one to get in though.

5) I've proposed this same thing; twice.
Last edited by bcadren on Friday, 17th April 2015, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 11:12

2) Hammers were about to be removed completely. They still exist because I begged for keeping them on Yiuf's behalf (I made the hammer overload version of his vault). We have trouble differentiating our weapon types already. Adding one for coolness reasons is not a good idea, removing most hammers was a good idea.

3) Could be a decent idea.

5) The number of throwables has been intentionally reduced some time ago. That was another good move, in my opinion. No reason to inflate throwables again, unless we really know why. Do you?

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Sar

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 11:43

@dpeg
2) I don't really see a problem here. There's already description in all weapons that states to which skill it corresponds. Logically hammers fall more into Maces and Flails category (blunt weapon) than all kinds of whips. It just feels off that Crawl universe have all kinds of similar-looking maces and flails and not many (bar artefacts) hammers and mauls.
On a side note - same feeling I had about Skyrim lacking spears. Whole region and not one goddamn spear.

3) Thanks.

5) Maybe. First off it could be a rare weapon (like eveningstar or lajatang for example) so, some characters won't even get it during a play through. Aside from that, chakram can fill a unique niche as an endgame weapon for characters that use throwing. Make throwing more prominent skill and not just supplement for other skills.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 12:00

Curio: Contrary to popular belief, we try to only add stuff that's meaningful. (Granted, sometimes we get a whole bunch of new monsters, or spells, or uniques etc. and then not all of them are golden, and it takes a long while to polish them, and some of them may be removed later on again -- but! the idea is that new content should add more than flavour or coolness or realism.)

If we give you hammers, next thing you ask for might be nails? :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 12:12

dpeg wrote:If we give you hammers, next thing you ask for might be nails?

You should be able to cut down trees with axes (hatchets) and then we should have a Bridge Building skill so you could build a bridge over deep water... oh wait.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 12:23

dpeg wrote:If we give you hammers, next thing you ask for might be nails? :)

no-no-no, i wanted Warhammers, so next I would ask warnails. Sounds not much sillier than triple swords :lol:
Throwing weapons! And Kobolds will use it instead of stones! And have different brands! Dispersal and poison! Wait a second... :o

Seriously, though, if choosing between hammers and whips, the latter seems more out of place for Maces and Flails skill. Oh well. :roll:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 04:29

I like chakrams because I like the idea of a throwing weapon with infinite ammo, with high enough throwing skill it needs 100% return. I think it would be cool, but no, I doubt it'll be added.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 04:52

You could nail a door shut with your hammer.
Comborobin Admin

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 04:52

5) After the returning brand is removed, it will probably come back (heh) on a fixedart throwing weapon.

Just be patient.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 06:35

Rast wrote:5) After the returning brand is removed, it will probably come back (heh) on a fixedart throwing weapon.

It came back so quickly it broke the space-time continuum...

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner