Unspoilered Stories

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 16th April 2015, 00:16

Unspoilered Stories

Back when I was an unspoilered player; I remember...

One of the first time I read a scroll of random uselessness it said "You hear the distant roar of an enraged eggplant!" I didn't know that this was because of the useless scroll and meaningless. I actually wondered what the eggplant creature would be like and looked for it in order to kill it. Was disappointed when I realized there wasn't an angry eggplant after me.

Anyone else have stupid conclusion because of lack of spoilers stories?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
n1000

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th April 2015, 07:35

Re: Unspoilered Stories

Mild one.
When I just started playing I met a lone yak in an early dungeon (somewhere in D6-8). Thinking to myself that it was some tame herbivore animal, it could be killed easily, I recklessly rushed into it. To my wonder it just devastated my character very quickly. That day I learned to fear The Yak.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 01:27

I thought that "the orc priest starts glowing" meant that it was charging up for some powerful ability or something.

Then I worked out that orc priests are the ones smiting you, so I thought "the orc priest starts glowing" means it's going to smite you soon, so I'd try to kill it or break LOS before then.

Then I stumbled upon the Cantrip article on the wiki and was shocked at my naivete.

To be fair, it did teach good Crawl - don't let orc priests linger in your LOS!

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 05:26

When I first started playing I thought ToME4 was good

For this message the author Pteriforever has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Sharkman1231

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 06:17

Pteriforever wrote:When I first started playing I thought ToME4 was good

ToME4 has excellent mechanics and shoddy design.

I think a roguelike with ToME4's mechanics and Crawl's design philosophy would be excellent, personally.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 08:49

On my first character to see yellow staircases (that are not Temple), I got the following configuration:
  Code:
...>...<...>...
only it was vertical, with one > the entrance to Lair and the other > the entrance to Orc. I was very moved by the symmetry and seriously disappointed when later configurations turned out to be random.

I also stared at the screen for a long while after running into my first artefact "Plog".

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Hirsch I

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 10:16

dpeg wrote:On my first character to see yellow staircases (that are not Temple), I got the following configuration:
  Code:
...>...<...>...
only it was vertical, with one > the entrance to Lair and the other > the entrance to Orc. I was very moved by the symmetry and seriously disappointed when later configurations turned out to be random.

I also stared at the screen for a long while after running into my first artefact "Plog".
I always through Plogs were after you came around and named for you; Mr. Ploog.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 04:57

I'm pretty sure that I spent months (if not years) playing Crawl offline, spending most of my time playing melee characters, partly because any spellcasters I tried always seemed to be starving themselves to death -- before finally poking around the Tavern and learning that it was not only possible, but an expected practice central to the game's balance, to eat my enemies' corpses.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, bcadren, KittenInMyCerealz, Pteriforever, Rast, xentronium

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 10:58

It took me months to figure out how animate skeleton and fulsome distillation worked. I tried to wield the corpses first.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner