Unique Proposal: Ghost child- starts of friendly, later not.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 01:05

Unique Proposal: Ghost child- starts of friendly, later not.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the coding aspect of this game or how big of an issue this would be. I also haven't played in well over a year, so I'm a bit behind in all the updates (and balancing). But this idea is neat to me, so I would thoroughly appreciate any criticism!

My idea is a ghost child unique that starts out as a friendly. "Hey, let's play!" sorta deal. Obviously if you're rolling with a "good" god, you won't be able to slaughter her right off, so it'd be better if she spawned AFTER the temple. Anyway, she psuedo-follows you around (general area, but always on the same floor) and does NOT listen to any of your commands. However, she'll randomly become "bored" and start doing childish and annoying things, like shouting, blinking, zapping wands (ughh, electricity). Maybe she can also pick up items if you don't get to them first and drink potions. Eventually, (well, most likely) this girl will get bored with you and attack you. If she's been following you around for a while, she might have some pretty sweet gear, so the later it happens, the worse off you'll be. But if you attack her too early, she can get pretty upset about you not wanting to be her friend and conjure up some pretty mean spells in her fit of rage (orb of destruction anyone?) As a child, her base everything would be really low. She only gets "powerful" if she's angry (aka if you can't kill her in a few hits, maybe she even has trouble casting and can fail) or if she gathers a lot of good armor over the course of the game.

Thoughts?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 02:01

Re: Unique Proposal: Ghost child- starts of friendly, later

Wait what?
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
thromnambular

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 03:34

Uhm, what are you having problems understanding? I don't know how to clarify without restating everything.

For this message the author catbread has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Hirsch I, rockygargoyle

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 04:29

this sounds so annoying, I would gladly face any god's wrath to kill that bitch.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
catbread

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 05:32

Sounds like there's too much overlap with Xom to reasonably consider. Xom isn't so bad because you can choose not to play with her, but this proposal is basically a weaker Xom that gets inflicted on you against your will and which you can't shut off. It would make more sense if we didn't already have a similar feature in the game.

Leaving that aside, I don't know how you would actually implement this. Monsters are generally easy to escape from if they don't attack you, and players would just ditch her in the Temple or train into a lethal hazard whenever she shows up before she has a chance to turn hostile. If she levelports after you and you can't shake her no matter what, well, then, what exactly is interesting about the challenge she presents? She'd be just an early-game item tax.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 6
catbread, duvessa, nago, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, XuaXua

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 17:56

KoboldLord wrote:Sounds like there's too much overlap with Xom to reasonably consider. Xom isn't so bad because you can choose not to play with her, but this proposal is basically a weaker Xom that gets inflicted on you against your will and which you can't shut off. It would make more sense if we didn't already have a similar feature in the game.

Leaving that aside, I don't know how you would actually implement this. Monsters are generally easy to escape from if they don't attack you, and players would just ditch her in the Temple or train into a lethal hazard whenever she shows up before she has a chance to turn hostile. If she levelports after you and you can't shake her no matter what, well, then, what exactly is interesting about the challenge she presents? She'd be just an early-game item tax.

Hm, you're right. I think my love for Xom has seeped way too deep into this idea. Thanks for pointing that out! But to be honest, I like the idea of having a little Xom mixed in to every game even if it wasn't implemented this way.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 23:53

catbread wrote:I like the idea of having a little Xom mixed in to every game even if it wasn't implemented this way.

A portal to a mini-level ("Xom's Whimsical Realm") where Xom acts on you as if you were a Xom worshipper. Enemies are chaotic and such. Loot is a mix of chaotic stuff (i.e. mostly useless) and Xom acquirements (i.e. ranging from useless to overpowered). Terrain changes like in the Abyss.

For this message the author The Ferret has received thanks:
catbread

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 01:49

The Ferret wrote:
catbread wrote:I like the idea of having a little Xom mixed in to every game even if it wasn't implemented this way.

A portal to a mini-level ("Xom's Whimsical Realm") where Xom acts on you as if you were a Xom worshipper. Enemies are chaotic and such. Loot is a mix of chaotic stuff (i.e. mostly useless) and Xom acquirements (i.e. ranging from useless to overpowered). Terrain changes like in the Abyss.

This is a genius idea, but the name could be improved. How about "Xom Wonderland"?

For this message the author wheals has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, catbread, duvessa

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 02:20

This is a genius idea, but the name could be improved. How about "Xom Wonderland"?

Like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Alice in Wonderland? If we're referencing that, there could always be a white rabbit that spawns.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 03:39

He's actually referencing a previous forum suggestion for a similar sort of thing. Let's just say that it's chances of being implemented are "remote".

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
catbread

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner