Bow of the traveler

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 20:45

Bow of the traveler

+5 artifact longbow of distortion

Distortion is forbidden on bows for obvious reasons - being able to constantly blink enemies away while shooting them with a ranged weapon (without having to use up dispersal ammo) would be OP. Why not have it on an artifact, then? Similar to the Storm Bow.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 21:09

Re: Bow of the traveler

Berder wrote:Distortion is forbidden on bows for obvious reasons - being able to constantly blink enemies away while shooting them with a ranged weapon (without having to use up dispersal ammo) would be OP. Why not have it on an artifact, then?
Because distortion is forbidden on bows for obvious reasons

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, bcadren, kvaak

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 21:22

Electrocution is forbidden on bows, and yet there's the Storm Bow. Fixedarts are allowed to be powerful.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 21:32

Would it be better as a -2 short bow of distortion? You could still use it to blink around and fire at something until it gets banished, but it isn't going to be the #1 choice to deal with everything from the moment you find it.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 21:38

Distortion and Dispersal are VERY different brands. It's more like distortion isn't implemented for ranged for a reason. I mean you can Holy Wrath a bow if you go TSO, but Lugonu won't distort your bow; there has to be a reason bow of distort was thought of as too powerful.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 21:41

jejorda2 wrote:Would it be better as a -2 short bow of distortion? You could still use it to blink around and fire at something until it gets banished, but it isn't going to be the #1 choice to deal with everything from the moment you find it.

If you just need to just blink something away in a hurry you can use dispersal ammo. The purpose of this bow would be for your main damage, much like the storm bow. A low enchantment is reasonable as a way to counterbalance the brand - but I think -2 is too low.

Lugonu won't distort your bow; there has to be a reason bow of distort was thought of as too powerful.

Already addressed. There's a huge difference between being able to get a disto bow every game from Lugonu and getting it once in hundreds of games as a fixedart. Many fixedarts are extremely powerful and obvious choices - provided you have skill in the right weapon.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 22:13

There's a subtle (but important) difference between "powerful" and "too powerful".
take it easy

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 22:32

Arrhythmia wrote:There's a subtle (but important) difference between "powerful" and "too powerful".
Also it'd be pretty similar to Storm Bow. Electrocution is the second strongest additive brand. Distortion is the strongest additive brand + (a bunch of random crap).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 22:44

Arrhythmia wrote:There's a subtle (but important) difference between "powerful" and "too powerful".

You would have to playtest it before you could say whether it is too powerful. I don't think it would be.

A glaive of distortion is a similar weapon, as it has 0.7 mindelay and 15 damage, just like a longbow. It even has the same skill requirement for mindelay, and it can reach.

Consider that if you're using a glaive of distortion, there is still going to be stuff in range of the glaive most turns in difficult fights, even though you occasionally blink enemies away. Think vaults:5. That means that a disto longbow wouldn't have much of an advantage over a disto glaive in such scenarios; the glaive would hit something nearly every turn and apply a disto effect, and so would the longbow.

bcadren wrote:Also it'd be pretty similar to Storm Bow. Electrocution is the second strongest additive brand. Distortion is the strongest additive brand + (a bunch of random crap).

A longbow is a high base damage weapon, so an additive brand is not that special. I'd prefer a glaive of freezing to a glaive of electrocution or distortion - and a longbow looks a lot like a glaive.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th April 2015, 11:04

bcarden wrote:Distortion is the strongest additive brand

What about pain?
Berder wrote:I'd prefer a glaive of freezing to a glaive of electrocution

I'm pretty sure that's a wrong equipment decision to make.

Edit: just fsimmed it, freezing glaive is slightly better vs. a yak, elec glaive is slightly better vs. a stone giant. So not really wrong, more like "it doesn't really matter".

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Berder, nago

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 6th April 2015, 04:20

being able to constantly blink enemies away while shooting them with a ranged weapon (without having to use up dispersal ammo) would be OP.

Yeah, I can't imagine what crawl would be like if there was some way to stay out of range of your enemies forever while hitting them from afar

that would just be crazy

Centaur...jpg
Centaur...jpg (132.51 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

For this message the author wizzzargh has received thanks: 2
dowan, duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th April 2015, 19:14

Elec isn't forbidden on bows anyway, it just doesn't generate normally (brand weapon can make it).
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th April 2015, 19:32

This thread reminds me of the one time I complained about a centaur with distortion arrows being really annoying and everyone was like whoa wtf dude calm down you mean dispersal they can't get distortion and I was like oh yeah you're right but I still really hate distortion and monsters shouldn't use it or dispersal because I hate when I can't just tab something.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner