What if Explosions actually Exploded?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 04:57

What if Explosions actually Exploded?

Since the last thread of this seems to have DROPPED OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

What if Crawl explosions acted like real explosions and creatures were pushed away from the center of them (concussed by rapid expansion, since that's what an explosion is)? It would obviously prevent casting the same spell in the same f***ing place multiple goddamn times; but would it actually add anything tactically.

(TINY) MOD NOTE: offensive language in small text is still offensive language, and has thus been deleted.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 05:40

Re: What if Explosions actually Exploded?

relax, they probably meant to thank it but hit delete
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, WalrusKing, Zooty

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 05:41

man, you seem stressed out. sit down, have a cup of tea. what's the issue, dear?
but, to answer your question: using spells to kill enemies is already annoying enough as it is.
Last edited by Hirsch I on Sunday, 29th March 2015, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 05:45

Hirsch I wrote:dear

I don't understand why you don't start spelling it "deer"

@Bcadren: As my deer Hirsch I said, try some tea. I enjoy a cup of valerian and lemon balm when I get anxious. Also, what would even define an explosive spell? Fireball is the only one that seems obvious to me.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Hirsch I

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 06:24

I'm a deer, he's a dear. also, the joke would be too easy.
I love peppermint tea, with cream and sugar. chamomile is pretty good too, remembers me of summer nights at grandma's. my roomates say I defile my teas and coffe with the ammount of sugar I put on it, but what can I say, I love sweet things.

Greyr

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 11:45

what if explosions actually exploded and caved in your body armour along with your internal organs, causing instant death
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

For this message the author scorpionwarrior has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, PleasingFungus, Zooty

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 13:39

what if photosynthesis was enforced and the entire dungeon ecosystem just collapsed overnight, leaving nothing but demons and the undead...

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 13:42

fedhas wouldnt let it happen.

Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 14:59

For your health bcadren, get away from the computer and stop thinking about vid game ideas
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 15:24

dont bully him, twelwe.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 15:41

i`m giving advice

let me expand: when you read these posts in conjunction with previous bcadren posts like this one you get the sense of someone who really needs to just escape this constant devastation for a while. i`ve never seen vid game ideas just wreck a person before, and if anyone thinks `keep up the current trend bcadren, that will do wonders for you` they are lying. something has to change for his own good, and it doesn`t involve crawl
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 9
archaeo, Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, duvessa, Greyr, PleasingFungus, Sar, scorpionwarrior, WalrusKing

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 15:52

Thats wise as fuck

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 16:07

Greyr wrote:Thats wise as fuck

twelwe contains multitudes

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 16:30

twelwe is an onion. but my first instinct is always thinking he is being mean or sarcastic, sorry about that.
and Bcadren looks an awful lot like me, but I did not make that fun 3d snake game (gives headaches, but it is legitimately fun.), so he is one step ahead.
sometimes I forget this is a videogame forum, and most of us dont even know each other's real names. everything looks so in place here, every poster has its own personality and we can recognize it easily most of the time.

Berder

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 22:07

I agree with twelwe though I feel badly for doing so. I can definitely relate to having low self esteem and repeatedly seeking validation in the wrong places. Life is too short to hang around somewhere where you constantly take abuse. It's difficult sometimes, when discussing ideas in writing, to remember there is a person behind the words.

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Berder

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 29th March 2015, 23:28

It's worth noticing that the idea of a good post in GDD is not one that takes a creative angle on crawl, but one that points out a narrow technical issue, usually interface related, that agrees with established opinion or at least doesn't conflict with it, and where fixing the issue is straightforward. In other words, the kind of thing where everyone is going to be like, oh yeah, we already agree it should work that way, but we didn't think of it before. Of course even better is having a patch or rc file that does what you suggest.

You have to remember that people spend their time writing code for the game with no real compensation other than being part of it and having their opinions given the weight that comes with being close to the process. And when you look at it, you have to admit there's a lot of justice in that. The development effort and the surrounding infrastructure (competitions, online play, etc.) is way beyond what most roguelikes offer. They're really a model for all roguelike development efforts, imo, even if I disagree with some of their ideas.

Anyway, if your interest in DCSS isn't primarily about playing the game, I think participation in the forums pretty much has to involve patches or narrow, uncontroversial technical suggestions.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 00:33

Anyway, if your interest in DCSS isn't primarily about playing the game, I think participation in the forums pretty much has to involve patches or narrow, uncontroversial technical suggestions.

hey, i don't care about crawl at all but i still enjoy making sarcastic comments here

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 00:51

ebering wrote:.. It could probably be better emphasized that ideas are cheap, and the much harder work of implementing, testing, balancing, and translation is all done by volunteers who all have their own ideas too. (This phenomenon is not unique to crawl. Hang around any gamedev/design forum and you'll find oodles of 'i have this great idea but i need a coder' threads. The only difference here is that there are some coders hanging around working on the game already!)

The devteam is very encouraging of individuals who show up on crawl-ref-discuss or ##crawl-dev or mantis with patches or tiles or text or vaults, especially if you're willing to be humble and/or start small. No need to write a grandiose proposal for GDD and battle it through some longwinded discussion; just write patches and talk to the devteam about them!

The only example I'm familiar with: There's no thread for new-ambrosia where I suggested that it also give hp-regen, nor a detailed hashing out of hangedman's remark "confusion+mp regen tied together" (mandatory like now, or suppressible like old ambrosia), yet it's in the game, because I wrote a draft patch, tested it (badly, since it had a bug), PleasingFungus accepted it and made balance modifications (my original regen was way too OP), and then zxc232 (I think) noticed a bug once it was pushed live, which was then fixed. Watching mantis and (mostly) lurking in ##crawl-dev suggests that this is pretty nominal for smaller ideas; I don't have any big ideas (start small!) so I dunno about those, but my intuition is that it's probably a bad idea to have big ideas.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 01:11

cerebovssquire wrote:

hey, i don't care about crawl at all but i still enjoy making sarcastic comments here

less sarcasm and more "grim, biting truths about the inherent mockery that is existence" in your case tbqh

e: it's good shit though
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 02:38

Death is the only truth.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 04:58

moocowmoocow wrote:I agree with twelwe though I feel badly for doing so. I can definitely relate to having low self esteem and repeatedly seeking validation in the wrong places. Life is too short to hang around somewhere where you constantly take abuse. It's difficult sometimes, when discussing ideas in writing, to remember there is a person behind the words.

Even if the forum was incredibly supportive this would be no place to seek validation. Zero stakes, zero relationship to reality, zero chance of actually helping someone get some autonomy in their life.

For this message the author Kismet has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 09:31

Hirsch I wrote:twelwe is an onion. but my first instinct is always thinking he is being mean or sarcastic, sorry about that.
and Bcadren looks an awful lot like me, but I did not make that fun 3d snake game (gives headaches, but it is legitimately fun.), so he is one step ahead.
sometimes I forget this is a videogame forum, and most of us dont even know each other's real names. everything looks so in place here, every poster has its own personality and we can recognize it easily most of the time.
Yea. I am a coder. I don't get directly involved in crawl's code because a part of me knows it's a waste of time; both there's so much about the style and interface that make it both too complicated and too outdated for mainstream success and it's so huge that it's difficult to jump into compared to starting from scratch or making something else. I am trained and I should be working on my own stuff. Being addicted into something like this is my way of hiding myself from myself because I'm unsure of myself. KEK. The 'Underwater' thread started serious (or intended to be serious) then was taken off the walls because people thought I was proposing an addition to existing crawl. (Scratch 3D engine in C++ is certainly doable; but addng into crawl seamlessly would be insane. I actually just meant applying the base mechanics into a 3D engine to see how it works; which I am doing. Not sure why; probably not something worth running with; but it is worth...seeing if it could work. First proto will literally be a mermaid and some melee-only fish in a fixed vault; but. meh.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 12:00

you know, I'm learning how to code (btw, I have a test about C in 4 hours, scary stuff.). and messing around with Crawls code, even if I did not make anything worth a dime, has helped me a lot. didn't Jpeg get a good job in Korea because of her work here? I think it is far from useless. also, I dont see why mainstream success is important in this case.
but, it looks like it is making you miserable, man.
if I were in your boots (and I kinda of am in similar boots.) I would use Crawl to sharpen my skills, to push my limits and to learn a lot.
take it easy. nobody here is your enemy, we just want to enjoy the game, discussing the game, and chill on the tavern (this is better than the game, IMHO).

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 12:13

Hirsch I wrote:you know, I'm learning how to code (btw, I have a test about C in 4 hours, scary stuff.). and messing around with Crawls code, even if I did not make anything worth a dime, has helped me a lot. didn't Jpeg get a good job in Korea because of her work here? I think it is far from useless. also, I dont see why mainstream success is important in this case.
but, it looks like it is making you miserable, man.
if I were in your boots (and I kinda of am in similar boots.) I would use Crawl to sharpen my skills, to push my limits and to learn a lot.
take it easy. nobody here is your enemy, we just want to enjoy the game, discussing the game, and chill on the tavern (this is better than the game, IMHO).
I'm a graduate of a game design program. I actually generally know what I'm talking about. The kind of art I'm trained in is...well, more like WoW than Crawl. Got into crawl because of a class project actually. Was comparing how different games used their hunger systems. Of every game I examined for that...Crawl is by far the most complicated hunger system; though it's less complex now than it was then [class was back in the days of Nausea.] Other titles examined really ran the gambit; another roguelike focused on wilderness survival; a kid's game about a group of teens surviving on a deserted island after a boating accident, the old Nintendo title 'Bird Week' (play as a mother bird; balance keeping your babies fed with avoiding predators and keeping them away from the nest)...the Russian horror game Pathologic...Runescape...Fallout: New Vegas...I said 'most complicated', not best on purpose though. :P

EDIT: This is basically a personal conversation now; move to PM if you like. I am seriously working on an 'underwater' prototype to see if it's a feasible thing that can be done. I'll start a topic about it when it looks like it might work. I really will open for suggestions though; because I really don't have that many ideas on the concept beyond seeing what it looks like.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 17:27

Arrhythmia wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:

less sarcasm and more "grim, biting truths about the inherent mockery that is existence" in your case tbqh

e: it's good shit though

it's a hard life, do you have any idea how many threads i generally need to comb through before i find a single one where i can complain about the woes of being an 18-year-old middle class white guy who had a decent childhood

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 17:32

cerebovssquire wrote:
it's a hard life, do you have any idea how many threads i generally need to comb through before i find a single one where i can complain about the woes of being an 18-year-old middle class white guy who had a decent childhood

Have you thought of becoming gay?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 20:35

worked for me. too well, actually, so I decided to go half gay. it is a good point to be at. it is so good that humans can change their sexuallity at will.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 21:42

Hirsch I wrote:worked for me. too well, actually, so I decided to go half gay. it is a good point to be at. it is so good that humans can change their sexuallity at will.

I know man! Being "pretty gay" is quite swell.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 30th March 2015, 21:46

I think I might be a straight dude trapped in a gay dudes body

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner