Underwater

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 08:54

Underwater

You know if you applied Crawl's movement rules to underwater (where you can swim up/down left/right and forward/back) you'd be able to move 26 directions. 27 if you count '5' as a direction. A trident could stab at a big fish in any of 124 tiles it reaches. And you could be completely swamped surrounded in 26 adjacent swamp worms. Obviously races other than Merfolk and Octopodes couldn't be underwater; and Fire and Air magic wouldn't make much sense; perhaps water would. The practical effect of fire (the large explosions) would easily have it's place with the easy possibility of being so surrounded; but with the extreme multitude of tactical complexity (and visual difficulty of seeing the positions of the individual creatures). Underwater brings of the interesting possibility of spell effects changing with pressure; and being able to see harder monsters almost immediately just by swimming down. What else would underwater be like?

I know this is speculative; but serious answers only; please. I'm working on something; y'all 'ill see.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 2
n1000, TehDruid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 14:46

Re: Underwater

Quick, everyone cross the bridge while he's busy!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
TehDruid

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 14:52

This is it bcadren, THIS will revolutionize crawl, this is the project you`ll commit to! A movement key for every letter on the keyboard! A new pressure system that every spell will have to conform to! All for octopodes and merfolk! Sorry I don`t have any ideas, just really really excited! If you need any help selling this in devchat sign me up!
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hirsch I, Sandman25, TehDruid, xentronium

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 16:09

twelwe wrote:This is it bcadren, THIS will revolutionize crawl, this is the project you`ll commit to! A movement key for every letter on the keyboard! A new pressure system that every spell will have to conform to! All for octopodes and merfolk! Sorry I don`t have any ideas, just really really excited! If you need any help selling this in devchat sign me up!

Add it to DC:PT?
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks:
TehDruid

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 16:29

. . .
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
TehDruid

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 17:07

glug glug glug

For this message the author Pereza0 has received thanks: 2
Eyesburn, TehDruid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 17:43

As a matter of fact, it's already possible to control your position underwater in dungeon crawl. This may alarm Bcraden, but from the bottom of the ocean, fireballs work just fine. Perhaps it's more lava based? In any case, to test this, just start a merfolk or octopode, and learn statue form. Normally you will float/swim through the water like the graceful aquatic creature you are, but if you cast statue form, you will sink to the bottom. While sinking, you will not find harder monsters, and you can still only have 8 monsters next to you. You will, however, succeed in finally having a water penalty despite being an aquatic race, so you have that going for you at least. Fireballs launched from the bottom of the sea will still do full damage, it is only misty water (aka freezing cloud) that hurts fireballs.

If you are making a 3d water based game, I'd start by not copying mechanics from a 2d game. I'm not terribly fond of 3d games in general, so I'm probably not a good person to ask about what to actually do.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
TehDruid

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 19:34

I hope all the trolls have got it out of their system... true 3D movement has almost never been done in games and this is a cool idea. It's gonna be hard to represent things graphically though, and to control 26 directional movement :D

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
TehDruid

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 25th March 2015, 19:51

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

Okay, it's out of my system.

I wish you luck Bcadren, but this sounds like something that just won't work.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, TehDruid, XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 03:46

Bcadren, I appreciate your posting, and I hope you continue offering suggestions that are this entertaining for some time to come.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, TehDruid, twelwe

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 04:46

will fireball still be a 3x3 spell; or will it be buffed to 3x3x3? maybe; the severe underwater pressure limit it; to 2x2x2?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, TehDruid

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 05:39

PleasingFungus wrote:Bcadren, I appreciate your posting, and I hope you continue offering suggestions that are this entertaining for some time to come.
This isn't possible in the current engine; I don't think what's necessary for 3D rendering from scratch C would be too much of a hassle. Heh.

twelve wrote:will fireball still be a 3x3 spell; or will it be buffed to 3x3x3? maybe; the severe underwater pressure limit it; to 2x2x2?
Interesting thoughts.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, TehDruid

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 12:06

Dungeon Crawl: Aquatic Annihilation branch

Current features:

- Introduced random fishing nodes
- Introduced Fishing Rod (can be found randomly near water on rare occasions or be crafted)
- Introduced Dynamite (can occasionally be found in the Orcish Mines or crafted)
- Introduced crafting, for that matter (over 400 recipes including camp fires, ropes, clothing, food, and of course armour and weapons!)
- 4 new crafting/survival skills: Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Carpentry, Cooking
- Most enemies now drop crafting materials most of the time, some of which are obtainable only if you perform certain actions on them (bone powder requires you to use a blunt weapon on a skeletal enemy, for example)
- Added new food items (grilled fish, boiled fish, sushi, potatoes, fish and chips)
- Added 24 new types of aquatic themed weapons (Lobster mace, Stingray dagger, Sharktooth Giant Club)
- Added 4 new types of aquatic themed armour that is randomly found in underwater only vaults or rarely on the dungeon floor and is also craftable by gathering the appropriate materials; (Sharkskin (medium) , Starfish(light), Jellyfish(robe), Whalebone (Heavy)
- Tridents and Demon Tridents can be used to hunt fish underwater (66% chance to catch one fish, 33% to catch 2, 10% to catch 3 in one try)
- Added 231 new types of underwater flora and fauna, including sea cucumbers (don't eat), axolotls, 20 species of starfish, 44 different kinds of shellfish, 5 types of octopi, 3 types of sharks, 4 kinds of whales and a staggering 97 species of squid)
- Added 332 new types of furniture (most of which are craftable) that can appear on the dungeon floor and can be moved or used as cover against ranged enemies. Build your dream dungeon and decorate it the way you like! Some examples are: Goblin train set, clothes dryer, giant wooden yak statue, vampire coffins with procedurally generated lids, cash registers and more
- Added pickaxes, axes and shovels (floor drops and craftable, some Orc workers in the Mines may also be carrying these tools randomly)
- Pickaxes can be used to mine the dungeon for useful ores to use in blacksmithing and other crafting skills
- Axes can be used to chop down trees for crafting and camp fire fodder
- Shovels can be used to create/fill up pits

Upcoming features

- Sandbox mode: Unlockable after you beat the game on Insane. All the fun, without the pressure of OOD monsters!
- Hard mode: Unlockable after you beat the game on normal. The OOD timer is 1/2 of the normal timer. Better hurry!
- Nightmare Mode: Unlockable after you beat the game on hard. The OOD timer is 1/4 of the normal timer. Thorough exploration is a luxury you can't afford!
- Insane mode: Unlockable after you beat the game on nightmare. Monsters are always OOD. Good luck with that!

- Housing: You can claim a piece of the dungeon to be your house. Insider the house area, no monsters may spawn, but you can't lock the doors, to keep it balanced
- Pets (unlike summons, you can keep these permanently with you, for balance's sake there's a hard limit on how many you can have)
- Pet shops
- Pet armour
- Pet riding
- Pet barber shops
- Pet toys
- Pet housing
- Pets' pets
- Pets' pets' pets
- Pets' pets' pets' pe-... You get what I mean.

The dev team would like to inform all of our fans that we really appreciate their support, it would have been impossible to think of all these new features without your help guys!
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

For this message the author TehDruid has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle, wheals

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 12:31

TehDruid wrote:Dungeon Crawl: Aquatic Annihilation branch

Current features:

- Introduced random fishing nodes
- Introduced Fishing Rod (can be found randomly near water on rare occasions or be crafted)
- Introduced Dynamite (can occasionally be found in the Orcish Mines or crafted)
- Introduced crafting, for that matter (over 400 recipes including camp fires, ropes, clothing, food, and of course armour and weapons!)
- 4 new crafting/survival skills: Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Carpentry, Cooking
- Most enemies now drop crafting materials most of the time, some of which are obtainable only if you perform certain actions on them (bone powder requires you to use a blunt weapon on a skeletal enemy, for example)
- Added new food items (grilled fish, boiled fish, sushi, potatoes, fish and chips)
- Added 24 new types of aquatic themed weapons (Lobster mace, Stingray dagger, Sharktooth Giant Club)
- Added 4 new types of aquatic themed armour that is randomly found in underwater only vaults or rarely on the dungeon floor and is also craftable by gathering the appropriate materials; (Sharkskin (medium) , Starfish(light), Jellyfish(robe), Whalebone (Heavy)
- Tridents and Demon Tridents can be used to hunt fish underwater (66% chance to catch one fish, 33% to catch 2, 10% to catch 3 in one try)
- Added 231 new types of underwater flora and fauna, including sea cucumbers (don't eat), axolotls, 20 species of starfish, 44 different kinds of shellfish, 5 types of octopi, 3 types of sharks, 4 kinds of whales and a staggering 97 species of squid)
- Added 332 new types of furniture (most of which are craftable) that can appear on the dungeon floor and can be moved or used as cover against ranged enemies. Build your dream dungeon and decorate it the way you like! Some examples are: Goblin train set, clothes dryer, giant wooden yak statue, vampire coffins with procedurally generated lids, cash registers and more
- Added pickaxes, axes and shovels (floor drops and craftable, some Orc workers in the Mines may also be carrying these tools randomly)
- Pickaxes can be used to mine the dungeon for useful ores to use in blacksmithing and other crafting skills
- Axes can be used to chop down trees for crafting and camp fire fodder
- Shovels can be used to create/fill up pits

Upcoming features

- Sandbox mode: Unlockable after you beat the game on Insane. All the fun, without the pressure of OOD monsters!
- Hard mode: Unlockable after you beat the game on normal. The OOD timer is 1/2 of the normal timer. Better hurry!
- Nightmare Mode: Unlockable after you beat the game on hard. The OOD timer is 1/4 of the normal timer. Thorough exploration is a luxury you can't afford!
- Insane mode: Unlockable after you beat the game on nightmare. Monsters are always OOD. Good luck with that!

- Housing: You can claim a piece of the dungeon to be your house. Insider the house area, no monsters may spawn, but you can't lock the doors, to keep it balanced
- Pets (unlike summons, you can keep these permanently with you, for balance's sake there's a hard limit on how many you can have)
- Pet shops
- Pet armour
- Pet riding
- Pet barber shops
- Pet toys
- Pet housing
- Pets' pets
- Pets' pets' pets
- Pets' pets' pets' pe-... You get what I mean.

The dev team would like to inform all of our fans that we really appreciate their support, it would have been impossible to think of all these new features without your help guys!
Dude. I'm starting from scratch. First version will is more like; introducing Merfolk with a Spear and a Big Fish! Wait until I get this LoS code finished before really commenting I did say serious. I'm taking the 'organically growing' development approach instead of the pre-planning this time.

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
TehDruid

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 14:44

I think you could actually probably do this in Dwarf Fortress adventure mode.

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks:
TehDruid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 21:35

Leafsnail wrote:I think you could actually probably do this in Dwarf Fortress adventure mode.

yeah, 3d in Dorf is awesome, crawl should totally have the same simple, clear, practical display. :roll:
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, TehDruid

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 27th March 2015, 01:22

I'm glad to announce that after a long discussion with the rest of the devs, we decided that Sandbox mode is in fact going to allow people to lock their doors. We found an elegant solution so that the character's inventory doesn't get cluttered by keys. I hope you folks are as thrilled as I am for these news! Happy Crawling!
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner