Bare bone roguelikes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 20th March 2015, 16:36

Bare bone roguelikes

I've found myself recently enjoying roguelikes that are pretty basic mechanically speaking, but still solid gameplay-wise. Brogue has stolen my heart with it's simplicity and emphasis on just playing the damn game. Cardinal Quest 2 is another, and since I'm on my phone a lot that works out for me (a new update has kept me occupied :D ). There is another one that I'm blanking on the name of, Orcs something. Angry Orcs? idk. I played it briefly then promptly deleted it for space and forgot the name. Desktop dungeons is fun too. The beta was a real unbalanced pain in the ass, but still fun.

Do any of you have basic dungeon crawling roguelikes you have to recommend? I'm open to anything from flash to AAA (lol, a AAA roguelike)
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 20th March 2015, 16:37

Re: Bare bone roguelikes

Pixel Dungeon on phones is pretty straight forward. But I (in my opinion) enjoy more complex RLs.
Formicid Lyfe

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 20th March 2015, 16:47

Dungeoneer wrote:Pixel Dungeon on phones is pretty straight forward. But I (in my opinion) enjoy more complex RLs.

Ah, I just looked it up and it's not available for ios. :(

I still regard DCSS as my favorite roguelike. Complex or no, solid gameplay will always win out!
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 20th March 2015, 17:11

Popular and recent Roguelikes on Kongregate (Free Online Flash)

Not sure I'd call them completely barebones; but they are simple compared to Crawl.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Greyr

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 20th March 2015, 17:33

Dungeoneer wrote:Pixel Dungeon on phones is pretty straight forward. But I (in my opinion) enjoy more complex RLs.

was the food game ever fixed in pixel dungeon? I'm loathe to go back to it cuz I was always starving to death even when explpring aggressively

I think there was a thread about Hoplite here before, great mobile hexy roguelike with lots of strategies and tactics while still being easy to play

I beat both cardinal quest games but now I'm so sick of cooldown timers I get bored just thinking about it.

There's a new game on android called Rogue Hero that's a very good Shiren the Wanderer type roguelike, you should try it greyr
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

For this message the author scorpionwarrior has received thanks:
Greyr

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 20th March 2015, 17:54

Pixel dungeon's "food problem" is actually intentional, there's pretty much one ration per floor of food and it takes about one ration to explore a floor if you never rest, which you should never ever do, if you're injured you need to use a healing potion, if you're playing the game well, there are about as many healing potions as you need for a game, if you run out of healing potions you're not using your tactics properly. (Arguably that's less so with the new updates, equipment degredation means that sometimes you end up underpowered relative to your level, which is a bummer)

There are a few places where you end up with a ration behind a barrier you need to burn down, and don't happen to have a way to do so, or behind fish that you need to sneak past, but there's always a potion of invis/flame generated on the same level as one of these obstacles, once you know that, you can "use id" your potions in an appropriate manner.

Starving also isn't a critical situation, you won't die from it, you just need to get your ass moving and find food so you will regen naturally (or you'll end up using too many health potions) just dive to a lower floor if you end up stuck with no food, or just put up with it for a while, it isn't likely to kill you, just make you less efficient for a while. I typically end up starving for a little while if I have to backtrack for shops, and rarely if I end up exploring a weird layout inefficently because I picked the longest path or something.

--

Hoplite is fun, but once you've mastered the tactics, it's pretty simple, I would call it more of a tactical puzzle game than a real roguelike, it's fun though, you'll just get done with it fairly quickly.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 21st March 2015, 20:33

scorpionwarrior wrote:I think there was a thread about Hoplite here before, great mobile hexy roguelike with lots of strategies and tactics while still being easy to play

Hoplite is currently my #1 favorite roguelike. (Followed by Crypt of the Necrodancer and 868-HACK.)

Wonderful, elegant jewels of games.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 21st March 2015, 20:40

Oh Delver is a nice one. A bit unique actually.
Formicid Lyfe

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 22nd March 2015, 16:01

PleasingFungus wrote:
scorpionwarrior wrote:I think there was a thread about Hoplite here before, great mobile hexy roguelike with lots of strategies and tactics while still being easy to play

Hoplite is currently my #1 favorite roguelike. (Followed by Crypt of the Necrodancer and 868-HACK.)

I had never heard of Hoplite before this thread, guess I should try it then.
Necrodancer is so much fun. That and the Hotline Miami games are my go-to after I've had one too many drinks.

Dungeoneer wrote:Oh Delver is a nice one. A bit unique actually.

I gave that one a look and the first person perspective and the minecraftian graphics turned me off a little. I will probably wait until it's out of beta before I actually give money to the devs.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 22nd March 2015, 20:30

PleasingFungus wrote:

not crawl? you should work harder then. what are you doing with the salary we pay you? :roll:
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 22nd March 2015, 23:21

BerserkRL was fun for a couple of hours (it's a 7drl by the same guy who made DoomRL). It's survival on an open field though, there's no dungeon and you can't win. Worth checking out if you have a bit of time to kill.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 00:03

I let my characters in pixel dungeon starve for a while (re: until I run low on healing potions) before eating food. You lose 1 HP every few turns while starving. The one time I found a sword of vampiricism I didn't have to eat for the rest of the game. The equipment degradation feels annoying to me, but it also functions as a kind of anti-scumming I guess (or just one more variable to juggle).

Hoplite is also an amazing game. I've managed to ascend without damage, but I haven't managed to ascend without praying yet.

I tried to play Nethack the other day and stopped when I realized I couldn't autoexplore.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th March 2015, 07:37

Lyrick wrote:I tried to play Nethack the other day and stopped when I realized I couldn't autoexplore.

Yeah, the absolutely amazing convenient features of Crawl UI can really ruin the user experience of some other roguelikes :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle, TotallynotHirsch I

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner