Should all smites be equal?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 21:39

Should all smites be equal?

A smite attack from an orc priest on D:3 does the same damage as a smite by a greater mummy on Tomb:3.

Should higher level monsters do more damage with their smiting?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 21:48

Re: Should all smites be equal?

Thanks for information, I didn't realize this. I could have sworn that Saint Roka's smites hurt more than regular orc priests'... Maybe he smites more often, because he has less options?

I'm not sure if high level smiting monsters need the buff, but of course it would make sense that they did more damage.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 21:50

Do the hellions of hellion island really need to do more damage than they already do?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 22:00

hellions don't smite

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 22:05

More damage smiting with Torment AND Summons...like Greater Mummies aren't deadly enough.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 22:24

All smites being equal is simple and consistent with hellfire. For what it's worth, it would also be quite redundant for hellfire burst to exist if smiting damage scaled.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
bcadren

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 22:29

duvessa wrote:All smites being equal is simple and consistent with hellfire. For what it's worth, it would also be quite redundant for hellfire burst to exist if smiting damage scaled.
Mostly true; Hellfire Burst also affects adjacent things (relevant to players with allies); also rarely a good thing (Deep Elf High Priest manages to kill a Deep Elf Blademaster adjacent to you, etc.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th March 2016, 06:10

Why was this yiufed? That seems unfair, considering this was a pretty genuine discussion.

I mean, I think its fine for all smites to be equal, keeps things consistent, but thats no reason to yiuf something. Its game design and DISCUSSION, the discussion imo is the most important part of the board since its the discussion that tends to spark some of the most interesting proposals.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 13th March 2016, 09:31

I posted in CYC because of this rule in the GDD guidelines:

• Post a complete, finished idea. Brainstorming threads or incomplete proposals should be posted to Crazy Yiuf's Corner for development.

I'm guessing this is the kind of thread that some people think should go in a new subforum - a serious discussion about game design that does not fit the criteria for GDD.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th March 2016, 10:15

The rule you cited is mostly intended for people who want to just post an unfinished god idea or something and be like "alright everyone, fill in the blanks!" or threads that give a proposal without any reasoning or explanation. Your OP just happens to be fairly simple, and there is nothing wrong with that, just because its simple doesn't mean its not finished. Especially if its a discussion topic, which only really require briefly discussing what the topic is and providing one(or a few) discussion question.

Start a new thread, if it gets moved to yiufs then you can cite this thread as proof that genuine discussion can take place despite the simplicity of your OP.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 13th March 2016, 15:21

Sprucery wrote:Thanks for information, I didn't realize this. I could have sworn that Saint Roka's smites hurt more than regular orc priests'... Maybe he smites more often, because he has less options?
Orc priests have the special Cantrip spell which does absolutely nothing...
  Code:
<Sequell> cantrip[1/4]: A do-nothing spell, used to water down especially nasty early spellcasters. Note that deep elf soldiers, fighters, and knights, as well as many early uniques, use the orc wizard books.
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 08:14

Tiktacy wrote:Why was this yiufed? That seems unfair, considering this was a pretty genuine discussion.

Jeremiah wrote:I posted in CYC because of this rule in the GDD guidelines:

Post a complete, finished idea. Brainstorming threads or incomplete proposals should be posted to Crazy Yiuf's Corner for development.

I'm guessing this is the kind of thread that some people think should go in a new subforum - a serious discussion about game design that does not fit the criteria for GDD.

Thanks, Jeremiah. And it looks like some people are especially Blade and me. One reason for a new forum ("Why was this yiufed?" - Tiktacy) is the gap between the detailed rules in GDD and the less serious discussions in CYC. One recent GDD idea of me ("Why is there no high boss in tomb:3?") was yiufed as well, leading to a less serious answer.

To ask for a new subforum I started a poll (yes, in CYC, sorry) which actually has 5/12 votes for yes. I encourage the supporters of this idea to not only vote but also give arguments for it.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 16:21

wait... how did duvessa get a thank in this thread?

Barkeep

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 16:34

The lack of the thank button is, unfortunately, UI-only. The code for thanks is god-damned terrible.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
ldf

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 16:34

adozu wrote:wait... how did duvessa get a thank in this thread?

Because some people know how to get around the lack of a thank button and thank anyways. It's dumb to remove thanks except for a few people who know how to get around it. Just bring thanks back to Tavern please.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 16:58

uhhh... thanks for explaining it to me?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner