ziggurats

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 22:28

ziggurats

dpeg wrote:Note that additional (i.e. completely extra) content is sometimes added, such as ziggurats or new Hell/Pan monsters. (Also note how ziggurats try to fill a role between "yardstick for veterans" and "can be useful in a 3-rune game".)

On the rest: yes, it's not really about harder. For all the changes discusses, you can consider whether a new/uninformed/unspoiled player would be concerned. Very often he'd not, which is a good sign to me that the change cannot be so bad.

Yes to no more mandatory runes: the rune lock is an attempt to put a little pressure on players, more runes won't. And we have trouble differentiating our postgame content anyway.

I know it's an extreme edge case; but in one of my 15-rune wins (don't remember if it was 0.14 Stable or 0.15 Trunk); I 'wasted' a trowel card (trowels no longer exist, of course); by drawing it in Pandemonium, only to find I couldn't enter the Ziggurat it created because I only had two runes. [Serpentine and Icy, IIRC] {Mummy in Armour with rC+++ medium armour is all I remember of the character, while back}. Pissed me off royally. Thought that though at that point in my game I'd stand no chance at Ziggurat: 20+, I did want to enter to get additional loot and hated that the option to go in at any point was removed. Not just from the "I wasn't expecting it this game" angle; but from the old "risk/reward" point of view; I liked being able to go in whenever I wanted, but having to stop early if I wasn't powerful enough. I don't like being forced to make Zigs extended only; it should be possible to do the first few floors early-ish for the loot.

That said...Doing a Ziggurat if you are of Vehumet is entirely too easy. Like zero challenge, blasting large groups of enemies with Fire Storm/Shatter/Tornado (etc.) easy. Being of Vehu actually makes Ziggurats EASIER than even normal Pandemonium, because of the amount of trash there is around to constantly refill your MP. Something really needs to be done to get rid of the absurd ease with which any elementalist of Vehu can clear a Ziggurat.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 22:50

Re: Changes to make Crawl harder

I don't know, mummy/holy/fire/elec/demon zigs can be tough still.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 17:01

Re: Changes to make Crawl harder

Sar wrote:I don't know, mummy/holy/fire/elec/demon zigs can be tough still.

OpFE^Vehu win (recentish in 0.15) had Necromut, Haste, Ring of Flames and Fire Storm online about 4th rune-ish. Main game was still hard (I couldn't put all those boosts on at once, because of MP loss); but Ziggurrats, HAHAHA First Fire Storm paid back all the MP used to buy the buffs. And I didn't need all of them on most levels.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 18:09

Re: ziggurats

Vehumet is pretty good in zigs, but makhleb is the best if you want to do megazigs.

Your octopode^veh could die in a second. All it takes is paralysis and then everything can cut through your non-existent AC like butter. Also, beware of sap magic.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 18:19

was playing .11 yesterday, recentishish, and i think they should really remove nausea sometime.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, PleasingFungus, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 18:55

When they do that they really need to give nagas back level 1 constriction, I want another tournament where they are the #2 species. You can have it deal lower damage until 13 or something. Seems like the old .10 tournament results page is offline now, sadly.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 19:07

nagas are fine as they are imo

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 19:37

Zigs only require 2 runes now, OP.

Thread locked.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 19:53