Gluten Intolerance.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 19:13

Gluten Intolerance.

Anyone have a known case of this? Asking for SWIM
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 19:33

Re: Gluten Intolerance.

No, but it should be an acquirable mutation in the game if you're not a carnivore.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 19:52

Code:
You finish eating the slice of pizza.
Mmm... mushrooms.
You die...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 20:46

I have horrible irritable bowel syndrome, and one summer during my teens my mother thought I should try a gluten-free diet to see if it improved things. It didn't, and I could never decide if I actually wanted it to work (because ibs is horrible) or not (because I love me some gluten and didn't want to give it up).

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 22:41

I know some people with severe Gluten intolerance (diagnosed celiacs disease). However I also suspect that a lot of gluten intolerance in the US is due to chemical sensitivity rather than actual *gluten* sensitivity, most commercial wheat in the US is "dried" by spraying it with high-dose pesticides immediately before harvesting and grinding and turning into flour, you're eating a lot of pesticides in most commercial wheat products. (Monsanto reps do claim it's 100% safe though, they drink it at presentations, just to show how safe it is :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 23:40

Greyr wrote:Anyone have a known case of this? Asking for SWIM

For a while I thought you'd sell me a cellphone jammer.

For this message the author Zooty has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, xentronium

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 23:43

Siegurt wrote:I know some people with severe Gluten intolerance (diagnosed celiacs disease). However I also suspect that a lot of gluten intolerance in the US is due to chemical sensitivity rather than actual *gluten* sensitivity, most commercial wheat in the US is "dried" by spraying it with high-dose pesticides immediately before harvesting and grinding and turning into flour, you're eating a lot of pesticides in most commercial wheat products. (Monsanto reps do claim it's 100% safe though, they drink it at presentations, just to show how safe it is :)

They do drink the blood of babies too, so I'm not sure what that proves.

I observed the same thing about the weird US wheat, someone I know has severe wheat intolerance in the USA but when we were in Europe she was eating European bread and pasta with no ill effects whatsoever. I personally have a mild intolerance where I generate more mucus if eating wheat so I just avoid it if possible but not religiously.

Fortunately because of how widespread this poisoning is, gluten intolerance as a consumer market is far more overrepresented in the USA than the incidence of actual medical conditions like celiacs. Lots of resources for recipes and many varieties of gluten free substitutes. I like the whole foods brand GF breads.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 23:54

I believe a lot of the people with "sensitivity" rather than hardcore celiacs probably just don't tolerate FODMAP's well: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/0 ... al-culprit

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 4th March 2015, 00:03

Siegurt wrote:I know some people with severe Gluten intolerance (diagnosed celiacs disease). However I also suspect that a lot of gluten intolerance in the US is due to chemical sensitivity rather than actual *gluten* sensitivity, most commercial wheat in the US is "dried" by spraying it with high-dose pesticides immediately before harvesting and grinding and turning into flour, you're eating a lot of pesticides in most commercial wheat products. (Monsanto reps do claim it's 100% safe though, they drink it at presentations, just to show how safe it is :)

Glyphosate does get used as a dessicant. It is a herbicide, not a pesticide, and has extremely low toxicity.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th March 2015, 00:24

Sorry, yes, it's an herbicide, not a pesticide.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th March 2015, 00:29

Also apparently I was misled, desiccants are actually less common on US wheat than I was led to believe, please disregard everything about that :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th March 2015, 00:35

This thread was only sort of posted as a joke, for those of you wondering. I am, however, genuinely interested in what all who posted have to say. I recently bought, like, a million pounds of organic wheat from some local Puritans because I wanted to make bread (for whatever fucking reason).

tasonir wrote:I believe a lot of the people with "sensitivity" rather than hardcore celiacs probably just don't tolerate FODMAP's well: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/0 ... al-culprit

Funny you should bring this up, I was just researching this the other day in hopes of finding an explanation for SWIMs stomach pains when they ingest avocado.

Also, if anyone is interested, SWIM is selling cellphone jammers for cheap.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th March 2015, 01:49

this is, somehow, one of the worst threads I've seen on cyc

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, Greyr

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th March 2015, 01:56

Good thing SWIM posted it

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th March 2015, 22:22

PleasingFungus wrote:this is, somehow, one of the worst threads I've seen on cyc

With a title like "Gluten Intolerance.", what were you expecting, honestly?

Also, what the hell is SWIM?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th March 2015, 22:52

"someone who isn't me", used in place of first person on some drugs-related forums, supposedly to avoid legal repercussions. But from what I've read that's both ineffective and unnecessary, provided you're not obviously dealing.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 6th March 2015, 00:35

One can never be too cautious when discussing gluten.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, PleasingFungus, XuaXua

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 6th March 2015, 13:17

Blobbo wrote:I observed the same thing about the weird US wheat, someone I know has severe wheat intolerance in the USA but when we were in Europe she was eating European bread and pasta with no ill effects whatsoever. I personally have a mild intolerance where I generate more mucus if eating wheat so I just avoid it if possible but not religiously.

Cant imagine why that is, considering I know for a fact that farmers in the EU also dose their wheat crops with roundup just a couple weeks before harvest in order to ensure that it dies and dries on the stalk (this saves them money on grain heaters otherwise employed before storage). This I learned from my father-in-law, who owns farms in Denmark, which also happens to be one of the countries in Europe with the most stringent environmental laws. He told me that the practice is widespread, pretty much around the world these days in modern agriculture.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 6th March 2015, 15:33

Self-diagnosed "gluten intolerance" is becoming a catch-all for when people feel crappy and don't know why. When people say they have gluten intolerance without a medical diagnosis, I do not doubt they are truly experiencing discomfort. But the majority of these cases is not gluten intolerance, and I would recommend skepticism toward flimsy post-hoc explanations about this or that method of processing grain.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 04:23

take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
rockygargoyle, Sar, XuaXua

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 04:56

has the science gone too far

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 06:17

i said fuck it and not only do i eat like a cave man, i am one

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks: 3
and into, Arrhythmia, PleasingFungus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 06:20

is that the guy from season 3 of dexter

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 17:13

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
and into

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 17:52

cerebovssquire wrote:is that the guy from season 3 of dexter

Discount Romulan costume.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 20:06

Arrhythmia wrote:Image

Not a lot of people know that L. Ron Hubbard was a black man.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner