losing the will to play

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 06:45

losing the will to play

after winning with every species and being two wins short from winning every background ive lost all will to play. my last character (mibe) got to V:4 before i got so bored of it i started actively trying to die. switched to makhleb to fool around with disc of the storms (relec, 20 evo). cleared v:5 starting at * makhleb piety and under trogs wrath by just spamming the disc. eventually i met my end rushing into combat with a frost giant while i was <15% hp. that was like, week ago.

anyone else suddenly got fed up with this game?
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 06:50

kroki wrote:anyone else suddenly got fed up with this game?

I know this feeling very well.

And when I'm not interested in crawl I just don't play for some days, weeks or months. And then suddenly I want to play it again!

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 08:22

Re: losing the will to play

I've found no joy in playing this game for a very long time now, mostly because the early game is such a chore to get through.
And the fact that I barely do anything does not help at all, since that just means that I'll likely stop trying to breach the d:4 adder wall after a couple of splats.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 08:31

how are adders dangerous on d4... oh wait, speedrunners

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 08:41

if you think the early game is easy then clearly you haven't tried to do it with minimal rest and exploration

fucking hell is it awful
take it easy
  Code:
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 08:49

i've eaten three sandwiches for lunch today and frankly i just lost all will to eat anymore

anyone else experienced this?

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks: 12
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, dolphin, duvessa, gammafunk, Hirsch I, Lasty, nago, rockygargoyle, Sar and 2 more users

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 09:51

I've bedded well over 400 women and after much deep thought and personal introspection, I've decided I'm just going to keep going with that.

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, tasonir

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 11:18

daggaz wrote:I've bedded well over 400 women and after much deep thought and personal introspection, I've decided I'm just going to keep going with that.

now thats a story id love to hear in detail about
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 13:27

Bloax wrote:if you think the early game is easy then clearly you haven't tried to do it with minimal rest and exploration

fucking hell is it awful

It is amazing how you are trying to make early game extremely hard and are complaining at its hard difficulty at the same time :)

On topic. It is hard to expect that overpowered combos like MiBe would not be boring after you have won all species. Stop playing easy mode :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 14:06

daggaz wrote:I've bedded well over 400 women

Did you do that online? 'Cause you know, offline doesn't count.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 8
and into, Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hirsch I, rockygargoyle, Sar, TeshiAlair, xentronium

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 14:16

Sandman25 wrote:It is amazing how you are trying to make [...] game extremely hard

That's not really how Bloax generally works, c.f. his bloaxcrawl changes.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 14:56

n1000 is right, this is a natural reaction after binging on anything.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 14:58

scorpionwarrior wrote:n1000 is right, this is a natural reaction after binging on anything.

uh, heroin

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 15:10

ok, anything that doesn't turn you into a zombie who steals all your friends shit, then. (stay the hell away from opiates, kids)
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 17:15

Lasty wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:It is amazing how you are trying to make [...] game extremely hard

Bloaxcrawl is a bunch of minimalistic changes (except the octopode change I had in there, which was a different little experiment of mine I wanted to try out) to improve the flow/feel of the game with very simple changes.
It's not some sort of madman's experiment where I make the game legitimately harder, because I certainly could - it would just be a pain in the ass to maintain due to trunk changing so much.

Sandman25 wrote:
Bloax wrote:if you think the early game is easy then clearly you haven't tried to do it with minimal rest and exploration

fucking hell is it awful

It is amazing how you are trying to make early game extremely hard and are complaining at its hard difficulty at the same time :)

I'm not really complaining about the difficulty (it's not that hard, really) as much as I am complaining about how much you depend on the dice being in your favour when you play like that. (And thus it is painful.)
Which is how I noticed the issues I changed in bloaxcrawl in the first place.
take it easy
  Code:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 17:22

daggaz wrote:I've bedded well over 400 women and after much deep thought and personal introspection, I've decided I'm just going to keep going with that.

But have you tried to do it with minimal rest and exploration?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 9
and into, Arrhythmia, Bloax, daggaz, Hirsch I, KittenInMyCerealz, n1000, rockygargoyle, Sar

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 17:48

I mean, I've been playing this game on and off for 7 years now, usually picking it up again each tournament. This stretch has DEFINITELY been the longest by a large margin mostly because

1. The game has gotten so much better with each release
2. I have a job so I can ssh in and splat a few characters each lunch break.

But sometimes you gotta take a break. Happens with every game. Go play some DF :p
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 17:50

Lasty wrote:

I meant speedrunning, not bloaxcrawl.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 18:32

Sandman25 wrote:I meant speedrunning, not bloaxcrawl.

I know. I was making a joke about how Bloax is always pushing for changes that make the game easier.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 18:52

Back on topic: OP, can you take my girlfriend shopping, to parks, down by the water, etc, so I can actually have time to play the game? I don't even have kids. Just a girlfriend + job and suddenly I can't play hardly at all. How old are you? Where has all the time gone? If I ever have kids I don't think I'd be able to even think about a video game anymore...I still need to do my ice form octopode but I killed off one that actually made it to lair:5 last night, for shame (1 more hp and I would have been out of LOS of that electric eel, double shame). Ah well. Back to D:1 we go!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 19:11

Almost all of my gaming takes place after the kids have gone to sleep.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 19:18

Ever since I discovered that I am actually able to win the game, I am more frustrated when I lose a character. Why not just take a break? Maybe your heart will lust for crawl battle again. If not - nothing forces you to play crawl (I hope).
I can recommend Marvel Heroes 2015. The mindless slaughter is a welcome change of pace to the highly tactical crawl.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 22:27

Lasty wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:I meant speedrunning, not bloaxcrawl.

I know. I was making a joke about how Bloax is always pushing for changes that make the game easier.

There are many ways to make the game easier, but only few of them actually make the game better.
You would be very foolish to assume that I'm pushing for these changes because I actually want the game to be easier, since I find the game quite easy already.
I just find some aspects of the game unpleasant, and I would really like them made less so. It's pure coincidence that they happen to make the game "easier".

I would like the game to have less popcorn monsters, too - and that's certainly not a "make the game easier" change. (But rather out of the scope of the minimal changes I'm doing in bloaxcrawl.)
take it easy
  Code:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 22:42

Sprucery wrote:Almost all of my gaming takes place after the kids have gone to sleep.

This is my primary problem: The gf refuses to go to bed without me, even though I generally require less sleep than she does. Sometimes it happens, but rarely. In any case this is probably all far too much personal info/ranting, this isn't facebook, I'm just whining, etc etc. Let's get back to talking about how nagas are an above average strength race.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 28th February 2015, 01:23

tasonir wrote:
Sprucery wrote:Almost all of my gaming takes place after the kids have gone to sleep.

This is my primary problem: The gf refuses to go to bed without me, even though I generally require less sleep than she does. Sometimes it happens, but rarely. In any case this is probably all far too much personal info/ranting, this isn't facebook, I'm just whining, etc etc. Let's get back to talking about how nagas are an above average strength race.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 28th February 2015, 02:52

tasonir wrote:

I never had any problems with nagas.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 28th February 2015, 23:07

bel wrote:
tasonir wrote:

I never had any problems with nagas.

I never had any problems with tasonir's girlfriend.

For this message the author Zooty has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hirsch I, Sar, tasonir

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st March 2015, 00:37

Zooty wrote:I never had any problems with tasonir's girlfriend.

nobody does. :roll:
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Greyr, tasonir

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner