I'm not sure where this should go. . . .

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 26th February 2015, 18:00

I'm not sure where this should go. . . .

Dudes:

I'm not sure where this should go---so I put it here.

Today, I had a troll, go all the way:

Code:
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/trailerparkvixen/morgue-trailerparkvixen-20150226-173451.txt

Things were not all beer and skittles for this chappie---in Zot 5, I got ~cornered by an orb of fire, and a tentacled monstrosity. (The tentacled monstrosity, kept me from getting at the orb, it firing away all the while. . . .) If it hadn't been for a lucky (uncontrolled) blink past one of those statues in the hallway . . . they would'a' had me.

The part I wanted to discuss, though was/is. . . .

Mnoleg: (Mutation clean before)

You have an uncontrollable temper.
Your vision is quite blurry.
You are very clumsy. (Dex -4)
Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body.
Your body is deteriorating.
You are extremely frail (-30% HP).
Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
You are very weak. (Str -4)
You have difficulty communicating with the divine.
Your spells are a little easier to cast, but a little less powerful.

I try not to criticize this game (so much dedicated and enthusiastic work goes into it)---but that is just downright cruel.

And yes, I was working on getting necromutation online:

h + Spellcasting     11.3   47%   -5
  i - Charms           14.7         -4
  j * Necromancy       15.6   16%   -2
  k - Translocations   12.5         -3
   l * Transmutations   20.5   37%   -3

(And OF COURSE no amulet of resist mutation. . . .)

/end rant

:) ;)

--TPV

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 26th February 2015, 18:28

Re: I'm not sure where this should go. . . .

Wow, full berserkeritis and blurry vision would have me seriously considering Zin (Since Jivya is dead). 9 of those mutations were caused by mutagenic glow, feel free to contaminate yourself, but potions on cancellation are handy!

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 26th February 2015, 20:32

cerealjynx wrote: 9 of those mutations were caused by mutagenic glow

I don't know how to interpret the intense self-delusion you sometimes see in CIP/YASD/YAVP posts. Ressentiment is powerful I guess.

For this message the author Kismet has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th February 2015, 20:44

Kismet wrote:

I don't know how to interpret the intense self-delusion you sometimes see in CIP/YASD/YAVP posts. Ressentiment is powerful I guess.

I don't understand this response, but it reads as though it is full of animosity.

cj simply recommended (in a roundabout way) having Potions of Cancellation on hand to counter heavy "contamination glow", which would prevent many mutations from happening.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 26th February 2015, 20:47

XuaXua wrote:
Kismet wrote:

I don't understand this response, but it reads as though it is full of animosity.

cj simply recommended (in a roundabout way) having Potions of Cancellation on hand to counter heavy "contamination glow", which would prevent many mutations from happening.

I was talking about the OP's post, which was phrased to imply that he got his mutations in combat when really they were all voluntary.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 26th February 2015, 20:54

If you read the log, you will see that there were tons of "gained mutation" (much more than 9). The OP is talking about the mutation state before and after getting to Mnoleg's domain, not OoF, which is a separate comment.

Code:
169607 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are weak. (Str -2) [a cacodemon]
169619 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are clumsy. (Dex -2) [a cacodemon]
170099 | Pan      | Gained mutation: Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP). [a cacodemon]
170104 | Pan      | Gained mutation: Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body. [a cacodemon]
170175 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You have difficulty communicating with the divine. [a neqoxec]
170189 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are frail (-10% HP). [a neqoxec]
170235 | Pan      | Gained mutation: Your body is slowly deteriorating. [a cacodemon]
170318 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are very frail (-20% HP). [a neqoxec]
170329 | Pan      | Noticed Mnoleg
170335 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are dopey. (Int -2) [Mnoleg's mutagenic touch]
170340 | Pan      | Killed Mnoleg
170341 | Pan      | Gained mutation: Your vision is a little blurry. [a neqoxec]
170347 | Pan      | Got a glowing rune of Zot
170389 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are very clumsy. (Dex -4) [a cacodemon]
170451 | Pan      | Lost mutation: You are dopey. (Int -2) [a cacodemon]
170455 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are extremely frail (-30% HP). [a cacodemon]
170486 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat. [a neqoxec]
170616 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You often lose your temper in combat. [a neqoxec]
170679 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You have an uncontrollable temper. [a cacodemon]
170680 | Pan      | Gained mutation: Your body is deteriorating. [a cacodemon]
170731 | Pan      | Gained mutation: Your vision is quite blurry. [a cacodemon]
170742 | Pan      | Gained mutation: Your spells are a little easier to cast, but a little less powerful. [a cacodemon]
170971 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are very weak. (Str -4) [a neqoxec]

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 2
Kismet, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th February 2015, 21:23

The OP is talking about the mutation state before and after getting to Mnoleg's domain, not OoF, which is a separate comment.

Makes the majority of the four preceding posts irrelevant.

Regarding the mutations gained, cited, only one was from Mnoleg. The rest were from demons that can be encountered in many places.

12 directly from cacodemons,
7 directly from neqoxecs.
1 directly from Mnoleg.

Since cacodemons and neqoxecs are not solely constrained to Mnoleg's domain, and while this all "did" happen in and about Mnoleg's domain as opposed to elsewhere, without watching the run, I'd have to chalk this up to either poor positioning, or poor choices of ranged target to eliminate or avoid first.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 01:06

XuaXua wrote:Regarding the mutations gained, cited, only one was from Mnoleg. The rest were from demons that can be encountered in many places.

12 directly from cacodemons,
7 directly from neqoxecs.
1 directly from Mnoleg.

Since cacodemons and neqoxecs are not solely constrained to Mnoleg's domain, and while this all "did" happen in and about Mnoleg's domain as opposed to elsewhere, without watching the run, I'd have to chalk this up to either poor positioning, or poor choices of ranged target to eliminate or avoid first.

Mnoleg's realm has a dramatically higher density of mutating enemies than any other area in the game, which certainly does make 'good play' for many characters quite a lot harder: normally you pop around the corner to break LOS when a mutator shows up, but when there's cacos on both sides...?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 01:12

maybe don't put yourself between two cacodemons in the first place

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 01:31

My favorite was when the entry portal dropped me in LOS Mnoleg, three cacodemons, and several nex's, no retreat options at all (Surrounded on all sides by mutators), I managed to teleport away and kill one or two before it went off, but I ended up with 7 or 8 bad mutations.

I did manage to creep my way back over there and kill him without acquiring any more, but man, it was annoying I got *tele IIRC, and while trying to rest off the nasty damage I random-tp'd into his vault, fortunately not close enough to attract too much death. I think I had one !curemut in the game and used it and was still left with like shoutitis and hp -10% or something)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Friday, 27th February 2015, 16:33

Yes, killing Mnoleg and his entourage will net you lots of bad mutations. Even with rMut, that will probably net you a few badmuts. Fortunately, killing Mnoleg and his entourage are not necessary for getting the rune, and killing Mnoleg's entourage is not necessary in order to for kill all the guaranteed uniques in the game, if you care about that. Those mutations were gained over some 350 turns or so.

Sometimes random bad luck will cause you to get some bad mutations, as Siegurt described, and there isn't always something you could do to prevent that from happening.

Also, even just dipping the ziggurat for a few levels has a decent chance of netting you a !cure mutation or two.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 18:01

Oh, wow. --I didn't expect this one to generate such a "storm."

OK. To be clear. I entered Mnoleg's realm mutation-free, and left in the state you saw. I thought, "Wow---that's a lot of mutations! I'll think I'll post something!" So, I did. :) All the mutations listed [at that point], WERE gained in combat.

Some things mentioned---on how to deal with these muts:

Zin -- did not occur to me (Jivva didn't occur to me, either. . . .)
Zig -- DID occur to; in fact, one time I had a grievously malmutated uber-octopode---and I went into a zig, just for that. However, I didn't want to take TOO long with this character (i.e. scoring)---so I didn't do that, this time.

Yeah. I got some (other) malmut's by mutagenic glow; however, this was all--or very nearly all--due to "hell effects," unwielding distortion weapons, etc. I WILL occasionally, cast a second haste--if I need it, risking malmutation effects--but I don't remember this causing any malmutations, this game. And yeah---potions of cancellation are useful for dealing with this; scrolls of vulnerability, I believe, a bit better.

OK. My . . . "strategy" for dealing with Mnoleg's realm (with no resist mut, or lichform), was just to take things down quickly. This USUALLY works . . . pretty well. This time it didn't. Oh, I also should mention: My play is NOT optimal. I ALWAYS take down "boss badies," and I ALWAYS map out their entire level. I know this is probably NOT the best way to do things---but a LOT of TPV's choices are not optimal, both inside and outside this game. (!) :) ;)

And things weren't quite as bad as they seem. I had 3 potions of cure mut---around in my various stashes. I also started wearing an amulet of clarity, full time, as I was perpetually in lichform. (Berserkitis no longer a problem.) --And I was pretty much solely using WANDS at this point (except for recharging (NOT time criticall))---so the "blurry vision" was just . . . annoying.

You know---it's funny. The next time in Mnoleg's realm, I had an ogre with an amulet of resist mut---and got out scot free. (!!) :) :)

Go figure.

I don't understand all the posts on this one---but if I (fully unintentionally) DID pee in somebody's cornflakes (I'm sitting here---just picturing the . . . "acrobatics" involved in THAT one :) ;) ), I'm sorry.

PEACE!

--TPV

For this message the author trailer_park_vixen has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 18:47

Scrolls of vulnerability don't reduce glow as of 0.15, that effect (as well as removing status effects) was transferred to !cancel.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner