Why is online so mindblisteringly slow?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 04:20

Why is online so mindblisteringly slow?

I can play photo realistic games fluidly on my pc but WebTiles? Oh no, we can't have that. It's not even server lag, just the game itself is much slower online, every action needs several seconds to be executed, auto-exploring takes minutes, as does casting or attacking or just anyhing else for that matter.

An offline game that'd take me 3 hours would take me at least 10 online. I'm not even joking. What's up with that?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 04:22

Re: Why is online so mindblisteringly slow?

most all the servers are still on 28k dialup
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 04:26

If I play too long the game gets bogged down; I suspect it's some sort of memory issue. Saving out and force-reloading the page makes it run silk-smooth again (temporarily).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 05:27

comebackshane wrote:I can play photo realistic games fluidly on my pc but WebTiles? Oh no, we can't have that. It's not even server lag, just the game itself is much slower online, every action needs several seconds to be executed, auto-exploring takes minutes, as does casting or attacking or just anyhing else for that matter.
This sounds like lag to me. The actual game is running on the server, you just send your keypresses to it. If the game were running on your computer you could cheat by examining or changing the contents of memory.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 18:26

try playing console, its much faster and not hard to get used to
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

For this message the author scorpionwarrior has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 19:05

comebackshane wrote:I can play photo realistic games fluidly on my pc but WebTiles? Oh no, we can't have that. It's not even server lag, just the game itself is much slower online, every action needs several seconds to be executed, auto-exploring takes minutes, as does casting or attacking or just anyhing else for that matter.

An offline game that'd take me 3 hours would take me at least 10 online. I'm not even joking. What's up with that?

i managed a 1:50h realtime win on crawl.xtahua.com, try it. other than that you cant even beleive how much i feel for you. read mapping scroll in shoals and enjoy waiting 5-6 seconds to walk one tile. it makes me want to pull my hair out
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 20:36

What server(s) do you play on, OP?

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 20:45

PleasingFungus wrote:What server(s) do you play on, OP?

Akrasiac and CSZO

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 02:31

try CBRO, also in U.S. but far fewer users
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th February 2015, 23:57

tedric wrote:try CBRO, also in U.S. but far fewer users

alternately, if you aren't in the US, try a non-US server

there's a list here; used to be a nice map to go with it but that seems to currently inaccessible

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
comebackshane

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 16th February 2015, 13:16

Focus so much on the lag from the server and you may be missing the most important factor: webtiles gets very slow if it stays open for a long time. The lag in the browser can become much more significant than the lag from the server. To fix this you have to keep refreshing the browser.

Or, you can play via console and spectate your own game, which lets you play exactly as if you were in webtiles, while allowing you to see exactly how much browser lag there is (the delay between when the console updates and when your browser updates will be noticeable). That also lets you refresh the browser without having to boot any spectators.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks: 5
Brannock, celem, Eyesburn, kroki, Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th February 2015, 05:49

Berder wrote:Focus so much on the lag from the server and you may be missing the most important factor: webtiles gets very slow if it stays open for a long time. The lag in the browser can become much more significant than the lag from the server. To fix this you have to keep refreshing the browser.

Or, you can play via console and spectate your own game, which lets you play exactly as if you were in webtiles, while allowing you to see exactly how much browser lag there is (the delay between when the console updates and when your browser updates will be noticeable). That also lets you refresh the browser without having to boot any spectators.

I did not realize that this was possible; I will try this. I've been running into issues getting spectators and having to balance between warning them that I would have to reload, and wanting to keep going despite lag for the sake of viewership.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 17th February 2015, 06:44

Berder wrote:Focus so much on the lag from the server and you may be missing the most important factor: webtiles gets very slow if it stays open for a long time. The lag in the browser can become much more significant than the lag from the server. To fix this you have to keep refreshing the browser.

holy shit if this works you deserve a medal
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner