Monster Evo skill

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 15:12

Monster Evo skill

Last night the minotaur at the heart of the labyrinth blasted me with a rod of swarms, then evoked its teleport ring and vanished with half the labyrinth loot before I could stab it to death.

Annoying as this was, I have to admit it was pretty funny. "HERE'S BUGS IN YOUR FACE! AWAY!" *poof*

I know that monsters have an effective Necromancy skill based on their HD for the purpose of weapons of pain, but do they have an effective Evocations skill for the purpose of rod recharging / activating evocable items / hitting you with elemental support staves?
Last edited by Giant Orange Brainbow Dash on Friday, 6th February 2015, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 16:31

Re: Monster Evo skill

I presume they cast the monster version of their spell (for wands and rods), which nearly always has power based on HD. Monster spells don't have symmetry with player spells, though (nearly?) all player spells have a monster version, if only for ghosts. It's why sticky flame is still ranged for ghosts- it doesn't use the player code at all.

I can't guess what happens with elemental staves. I don't think monsters can use elemental evokables.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 16:40

It's true, in this case there's a special version of summon swarm, and yes, it uses the monster's HD for duration, the monster version of the rod of swarms always summons 3-6 creatures regardless of the monster.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 17:05

jejorda2 wrote:I don't think monsters can use elemental evokables.

But the minotaur definitely evoked a ring of teleportation to get away from me. Do they just have a 100% success rate with that?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 17:21

Monster Evo skill is equal to HD (as long as they have intelligence >= I_NORMAL, otherwise it's zero), but they have an 100% success rate with jewellery evocation if they decide to try and do so. The skill is probably just used for elemental staff damage.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 17:38

Allowing the labyrinth minotaur to self-teleport (I'm OK with blinking) is complete crap.

EDIT: I'm referring to "the game system" that should not allow him to teleport, not any given slow-on-the-draw player.
Last edited by XuaXua on Friday, 6th February 2015, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 2
Greyr, Sandman25

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 17:42

I considered traipsing my way back into that mess in search of the bastard, but I figured he'd just do the same thing again even if I did find him. It was not my happiest labyrinth experience ever by a long shot.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 18:11

I tried to retreat from a kobold by swimming through deep water with an octopode last month. He evoked flight on his artifact electric trident and brutalized me. So those are available to monsters, too.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 18:20

That is one decked out lil' dog-lizard right there. You have my condolences.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner