Jello shouldn't die when Dissolution is still alive

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 22:21

Jello shouldn't die when Dissolution is still alive

Jello ceases to exist when TRJ dies because TRJ is its the only sentient worshipper, but this isn't true. Dissolution is also sentient.

Shamelessly copied from badwiki:

The Pits of Slime used to be a thriving civilization, and Dissolution was the prophet of their god. When the city was overtaken by its current residents, only Dissolution survived, for he alone turned faithfully to the Slime God. Dissolution became a tremendous mass of acidic ooze, yet retained his intelligence. He is filled with hatred for anything that can hold a form.

He can even talk.

Also, there is one thing that I don't quite understand because of my -5 English apt. When it says "Dissolution was the prophet of their god", is he already worshipping Jello? And if so, why was only he spared? Doesn't a prophet have followers? Or did turn to Jello only when the place was invaded?

also Jello should be the official name of this god. or at least a posssibility for the ever-changing second part of this god's name. Jiyva Jello.

and why does the word jello make me think of bodacious woman?

questions over questions.
Last edited by comebackshane on Thursday, 29th January 2015, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 23:03

Re: Jello shouldn't die when Dissolution is still alive

comebackshane wrote: When it says "Dissolution was the prophet of their god", is he already worshipping Jello? And if so, why was only he spared? Doesn't a prophet have followers? Or did turn to Jello only when the place was invaded?

Option two. I suspect that Dissolution's former god was devoured by Jiyva. Dissolution turned to Jiyva after that.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 13:52

I wrote a patch once to make Dissolution neutral and atheist once Jiyva dies. Wonder if it's around anywhere.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 21:00

Originally, when Jiyva took form (as far as that's possible), the idea was existence of Dissolution prevents Jiyva's deicide. That was either implemented and later removed, for reasons of "too complicated and irrelevant" or not even made into the game, I forget.

wheals: that sounds very neat! If you find it, could you commit it?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 22:38

dpeg wrote:Originally, when Jiyva took form (as far as that's possible), the idea was existence of Dissolution prevents Jiyva's deicide. That was either implemented and later removed, for reasons of "too complicated and irrelevant" or not even made into the game, I forget.

I recall reading that it was implemented and too complicated, but I don't recall where.

I think the problem cases included:

(1) if either got Abyssed or something
(2) if a floor(s) of Slime was shafted past (not-generated?), then the TRJ was killed, which left generation of non-guaranteed unique Dissolution, and therefore Jiyva's deicide, to-be-determined.

I do think having both TRJ and Dissolution maintain Jiyva was a cool idea with flavor.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 22:59

I've gotten 26 slimy runes and oddly enough I've never seen Dissolution.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 23:09

It's really rare, I think I've only seen it 2 or 3 times.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 01:42

to find dissolution not only does he have to generate, but you also have to explore whatever part of slime he appeared in, and since slime is by far the most annoying branch in the game to explore, it tends to not get fully explored

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 19:23

If the generation state of dissolution is a problem, it could easily be solved by having dissolution only generate on slime:6. The chances of getting TRJ and dissolution in the same battle would make for some very, very scary final slime fights. I believe this is already possible (for dissolution to spawn on slime:6) but just extremely rare. Presumably if dissolution only spawned on d:6 it would be slightly more common to find him there.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 19:31

Why do you want to find Dissolution?
It generated in my last game (and blocked path to Slime 6 so I had to kill it) and summoned paralyzing eyeball very soon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 19:37

The player doesn't want to find dissolution, but the player also doesn't want to find Mara, Mennas, Agnes, or pretty much any other unique, ever. Granted some of them might have equipment which is useful to you, but this is fairly uncommon. You'll probably already have a demon weapon when you find Mara, or if you find mara earlier in a lair-subbranch you probably won't want to/be able to kill him. If you do kill him and get the demon weapon then, it wouldn't have been that long before you would have found one anyways, and you're clearly strong enough to have gotten through the next few floors. Unless you just cheated with an I-Win button like slouch ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 19:37

Sandman25 wrote:Why do you want to find Dissolution?

The thread is not about finding Dissolution; it is about whether/why Jiyva should/not exist if/when Dissolution has not been confirmed generated.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 12:52

If there was no Dissolution in a given game, doesn't it mean it (he? she?) is still alive, just happend to be shopping, so Jiyva should be alive too?

I kinda like the idea of him turning an atheist after Jiyva is killed better though.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner