True Confessions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Do you practice with a combo offline before or during playing it online?

Yes.
14%
No.
57%
Sometimes.
20%
I'd rather discuss it with a write-in vote.
6%
I'd rather not discuss it.
3%

Total votes : 35

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 03:12

True Confessions

Go ahead; no one is watching.
Last edited by Aule on Sunday, 1st February 2015, 04:00, edited 2 times in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 03:22

Re: True Confessions

I voted yes, even though I don't.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 03:38

I would like a write-in vote option.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 03:44

once I lied in a "True Confessions" thread

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 03:50

once i told the truth in a thread where you were supposed to stretch the truth
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 03:51

Only for CSDC games, there is no such option.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 04:01

Siegurt wrote:I would like a write-in vote option.
Sandman25 wrote:Only for CSDC games, there is no such option.

fixed both

Arrhythmia wrote:I voted yes, even though I don't.

I'm sure you'll make someone proud.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 04:17

why are polls even allowed on tavern

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 05:00

duvessa wrote:why are polls even allowed on tavern

In the CYC? Why not?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 05:23

Sphara wrote:

In the CYC? Why not?

Because they're terrible.
take it easy

duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 05:28

Arrhythmia wrote:
Sphara wrote:

In the CYC? Why not?

gotcha

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 06:38

I do all my practice online in sprint.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 10:10

I voted no, because I never play online.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 10:53

voted i don't want to discuss this because i don't have the time so it's technically true

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 10:57

Sprucery wrote:I voted no, because I never play online.

You're just practicing big time for the ultimate scum attempt! Shame on you!

---

Regarding the topic: For my streak games I usually did 1-2 early game attempts offline. This was mostly reckless playing until temple to see which monsters were actually dangerous to the respective combo.

However I don't see why you are so obsessed with this topic. I can't think of any decent player who considers winrate as noteworthy.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 14:43

Tedronai wrote:I can't think of any decent player who considers winrate as noteworthy.

I know several such players with 50+ wins. Or probably we have different definition for "decent".

Edit. I have just realized that for me winrate and streaks are very close. I mean if a guy won 9 games out of 10, I don't care if it was 9 wins followed by a loss or 5 wins, a loss and 4 wins. Probably that's because I always play for winning, many players don't do it unless they are streaking (this is understandable, it allows to reach Lair faster in real time for some combos).

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 15:08

Tedronai wrote:However I don't see why you are so obsessed with this topic. I can't think of any decent player who considers winrate as noteworthy.
There is no obsession. I slept great last night without a single thought about any of this. Still, you won't find many who consider "optimal play" to be irrelevant, and optimal play may require it. Clarity isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Anyone with questions about the gravity of my intentions here should ponder this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgD89VYkVc

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 15:39

I did for the first few WalkerBoh sudden-death competitions. Here is my account

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... cakes.html

I also played offline quite some time before switching to online-only.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 16:12

Tedronai wrote:I can't think of any decent player who considers winrate as noteworthy.

For what it's worth, I consider win rate to be noteworthy, usually. Mikee played 426 games and won 175. That is impressive, even if he practiced offline. Likewise, 8 wins in 10 games is also impressive because it is hard enough to win at all. I don't care if that person practiced offline. He or she still needed to do it. Is it as noteworthy as Mikee? I'd say not even close.

There are many ways to be impressive. Win streaks (ahem, Ted), speed runs, tournament performance, high scores, sudden death performance...etc. (The common stat I care the least about is time to win).

And I doubt that there is any way to capture all of these in a single metric, such as the recent one favoring recent wins. That is a single dimension in a multidimensional problem. What about a person who wants to clear 15 zigs? Probably not going to have a high win rate, but it is an impressive feat nonetheless. How about someone who wants to play Crate Crawl? Robins? Accumulate high scores? Max out skills? Collect all of the artifacts? Clear a Zig using just throwing? Or tackle any of the tournament/competition challenges? Each of those can be noteworthy.

And while some here are expressing surprise that others care about the stats, I think it is perfectly normal for people to feel competitive about it. I'd wager that if you kept track of the number of BMs in a day, some people would be motivated to compete. They would, and you know it. I'm sure it's been done. Just look at all of these dummies on YouTube doing their stupid "drink a giant bottle of syrup" challenges. And then there would be all sorts of drama about fair play...etc. All part of the process when you keep track of the numbers.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 17:55

Why playing offline is the equivalent of being a homosexual in my backwards county (i. e. being hated by everybody) is beyond me.

Offline plays much more fluidly + 100% lag free

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 18:10

again, playing regular games (i.e. not-wizmode) offline is the same thing as playing on a separate account online

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 04:53

comebackshane wrote:Why playing offline is the equivalent of being a homosexual in my backwards county (i. e. being hated by everybody) is beyond me.

Offline plays much more fluidly + 100% lag free

I don't hate offline play at all. In fact, if I could play offline without cheating I probably would. :lol:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 05:04

minmay wrote:a while ago i had a dream that i was on vacation in australia with my parents, and we’re at this golf club, and my parents decide to eat there. i also find one of my friends there, which i’m not expecting. anyway, i leave the golf club to do some scuba diving (there’s a lake nearby). when i finish and come back up out of the water, i notice there’s this really huge dock on the lake, and there are these guys trying to sell illegal octopus meat. i really don’t want the octopus meat but they won’t stop pushing it on me, and eventually i agree to buy the dock instead if they’ll leave me alone. i’m thinking i have to tell my friend about this, so i walk into the golf club like what up i bought a big dock

crate

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 10:55

I'm not kidding when I say that I can't stop going fast.

we need a Speedrunners Anonymous section
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 11:22

No, I don't have use local DCSS any more.

I think that "practicing" can give you bad habits if you play accordingly to what you find.

eg any character that finds ring of invisibility on D:2 should play to take advantage of it...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 12:33

I chose "no", because practice is not just immoral, it also makes no sense in a game as trivially easy as crawl. Of course, there will always be losescummers faking character deaths to prove some elitist in-group point about how hard the game is. In conclusion, I put no thought into posting on tavern, so I am immune to criticism.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 7
Arrhythmia, duvessa, grisamentum, Kramin42, rockygargoyle, Sar, WalkerBoh

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 13:00

Some people just can't handle being wrong.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 13:37

Aule wrote:Some people just can't handle being wrong.

It sounds like you haven't realized it is you who is wrong here. I know several players who cannot play offline because they cannot stop themselves from cheating but you are the only one who went as far as treating offline play as cheating to have an excuse why you shouldn't change yourself and stop savescumming offline. "It is still cheating, why should I bother", right?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 14:40

Sandman25 wrote:
Aule wrote:Some people just can't handle being wrong.

It sounds like you haven't realized it is you who is wrong here. I know several players who cannot play offline because they cannot stop themselves from cheating but you are the only one who went as far as treating offline play as cheating to have an excuse why you shouldn't change yourself and stop savescumming offline. "It is still cheating, why should I bother", right?

I meant factually wrong, not morally wrong, especially where there is ambiguity in the definitions.

For this message the author Aule has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 19:38

Arrhythmia wrote:
Sphara wrote:

In the CYC? Why not?

But this one is awesome: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14782&p=202727

Barkeep

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 20:22

I eat Combos (classic: cheddar cheese pretzel, natch) while playing, online or offline. This is a much more embarrassing confession than what you ask about for this poll.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 20:27

and into wrote:I eat Combos (classic: cheddar cheese pretzel, natch) while playing, online or offline. This is a much more embarrassing confession than what you ask about for this poll.

it really is

(I'm pretty sure combos were about half of my freshman 15)

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
and into

Barkeep

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 20:37

PleasingFungus wrote:
and into wrote:I eat Combos (classic: cheddar cheese pretzel, natch) while playing, online or offline. This is a much more embarrassing confession than what you ask about for this poll.

it really is

(I'm pretty sure combos were about half of my freshman 15)

I'm just confused as to how they got a picture of me to use on their website. Kind of creeped out. I should send a cease and desist letter.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 20:41

minmay wrote:a few nights ago i had a dream that i watched a cursed youtube video with my cat and at the end the youtube video shot my cat in the eye so my cat grew a second head so it had three working eyes, like some kind of cat hydra

PleasingFungus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 20:48

duvessa wrote:
minmay wrote:a few nights ago i had a dream that i watched a cursed youtube video with my cat and at the end the youtube video shot my cat in the eye so my cat grew a second head so it had three working eyes, like some kind of cat hydra

I think minmay might want to adjust their level of various medications. But maybe I'm the weird one, I almost never remember any dreams.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 21:09

minmay wrote:here’s my absolute favourite dream ever. i had it when i was 14.

the dream started with me walking out the front of my house. maybe i was getting the mail or something. but as i stepped out, i saw my mortal nemesis - a dragon, driving a red convertible. the dragon looks like a cross between a western dragon, an eastern dragon, and trogdor. the red convertible looks like the kind of car you’d have to be a real douchebag to drive, which this dragon definitely was.

anyway, he began driving away at full speed. i knew i had to follow him, because the fate of the universe depended on me stopping him. so i ran after him, on foot. i was able to match his speed, but not much more. i chased him for about a block, then i saw an interdimensional portal in the middle of the road. the car zoomed through it, and so did i.

i found myself in another world. it consisted of a group of towering ice formations (they looked like rock formations but with ice), surrounded by an endless ocean. the dragon, still in his convertible, was flying away from me. (did i mention the convertible could fly? the convertible could fly.) i see him fly into the bottom floor of a pagoda. it is on one of the most distant ice formations, but still not that far away, as while the ice formations are hundreds of meters tall most of them are only a couple meters across and only a couple meters apart from each other.

i continue chasing after him, jumping between ice formations. i reach my first obstacle, which is a single-floor pagoda. i guess it’s not really a pagoda then, but whatever. this is the only other pagoda in this world. i enter it for some reason, and it is like my garage, except empty and bigger and with two garage doors instead of one. both are open. in the center, there is a dais. this is an obvious trap from la-mulana (great game), but i just can’t resist. i put a weight on the dais. the garage doors, of course, begin closing. i manage to run out before they close all the way, though, so its not a problem.

i continue traversing the ice formations, until i reach a point where one is too far away to jump to. so i decide to climb one of the trees on my current formation, and jump from it. (did i mention some of the formations have trees on them? some of the formations have trees on them. they are pine and fir trees.) however, as i reach the top, the tree begins to fall over. i hold on tightly and i’m like “craaaaap.” fortunately, the tip of the tree lands on another ice formation, and my impact is cushioned by the snow, although it is sort of cold. (did i mention the formations have snow on them? the formations have snow on them.)

i continue my pursuit of the dragon and manage to enter the pagoda. the bottom floor is a pizza parlour, and the dragon is eating there with his wife and two kids. he sees me and he tears ass out of there, i follow him. as i exit the pagoda, amanda shows up. the dragon jumps into his car and starts flying up and away from the ice formations. amanda and i grab on to the rear bumper just in time. the dragon starts doing all these swerves and loops trying to throw us off, and amanda falls off and drowns. so now i’m like, really, really pissed, and i manage to climb up into the car. i climb into the front seat, then i just beat the shit out of the dragon with my fists, for like 30 seconds straight. then i woke up.

i have no idea who amanda is.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
and into, cerebovssquire, Jarlyk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 22:53

I'm somewhat torn between her either being a blam or part of the more harmful disposable woman trope. I mean, if you're going to use her death solely to promote your own revenge quest/power fantasy, that's definitely treating her as an object. But I feel like your character was so poorly developed that there wasn't really any character development to speak of, and it is just assumed that you'll punch the dragon for any/no reason whatsoever, so amanda's death was entirely irrelevant. Which may be a fate worse than death after all...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 04:54

Code:
<minqmay> if it helps, canonically in the dream, we had been pursuing the dragon together for like 500 years, so we were pretty close

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 05:04

duvessa wrote:
minmay wrote:this is an obvious trap from la-mulana (great game)

appreciation post

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 18:54

PleasingFungus wrote:
duvessa wrote:
minmay wrote:this is an obvious trap from la-mulana (great game)

appreciation post

thank this post if you're hyped for la-mulana 2
take it easy

PleasingFungus

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 17:19

This one time in anatomy and physiology lab my classmates and I were studying the gastrointestinal tract. I decided that a good way to remember the sequence of the GI tract would be to track what parts of the body a bolus of food would pass on its way from the plate to the latrine. So I decided to start reciting aloud the names of these body parts. The scientific names, of course.

"Labia, tongue, esophagus... C'mon guys, say it with me! First past the labia, then onto the tongue."

I kept insisting they recite it with me. I did not come to my senses until hours later when I realized that the scientific term for lips applies to more than one part of the anatomy.

I am so glad that CYC provides a safe space for true confessions of this kind.

For this message the author Rumbleguts has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 17:59

99% sure they were simply quite clear on the GI tract beginning with lips, tongue and esophagus.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner