We are the human race!


If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Posts: 117

Joined: Thursday, 29th January 2015, 19:52

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 23:57

We are the human race!

"Mundane and average"?

Is that how we represent ourselves in a game? How about "a race of strong, intelligent, dexterous, industrious, hard-working, adaptable, ingenious, resourceful, multi-talented and flexible?"

Srsly, I rarely see anyone play humans (except one person, you know who I mean) and if you ask them why they will tell you "'cause I haven't won one yet." Rly?
Sadly there is no real reason to play us over any of the more fancy races because the "jack-of-all-trades" bonus we get in most video games doesn't rly account for much in crawl. I think that has to change! Who's with me?
A fully armoured fighter defeated by an adder? Is this how we show the world what a great race we are?
Let's stop hiding ourselves! We have a right to exist! We are just as strong as any orc and elf and ogre and dwarf and whatnot! Why belittle ourselves?

Buff humans!

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8782

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:01

Re: We are the human race!

IMO Hu is already stronger than DE, Ds, Fo, Gh, Gr, Ha, HE, Ko, Mu, Na, Op, and Te.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:04

Re: We are the human race!

Dunno about Gr and Ha though, but I understand why you say so (HP).

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1774

Joined: Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 23:39

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:04

Re: We are the human race!

Humans don't have enough tentacles.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:12

Re: We are the human race!

I really like Humans, and play them almost exclusively.
take it easy

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:14

Re: We are the human race!

filthy humanophile

Snake Sneak

Posts: 117

Joined: Thursday, 29th January 2015, 19:52

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:20

Re: We are the human race!

Sar wrote:filthy humanophile


Omeg I will report you for "abbrassive tone" kappa not

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1888

Joined: Saturday, 9th July 2011, 20:57

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:36

Re: We are the human race!

comebackshane wrote:Sadly there is no real reason to play us over any of the more fancy races because the "jack-of-all-trades" bonus we get in most video games doesn't rly account for much in crawl.


Really, the "generic jack-of-all-trades" characterization that many games attribute to humans strikes me as just lazy thinking -- surely humans must have some distinguishing feature as compared to other species.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
comebackshane

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:38

Re: We are the human race!

I think it makes sense gameplay-wise, a new player understands that Hu is the baseline feature-wise.
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:41

Re: We are the human race!

nicolae wrote:
comebackshane wrote:Sadly there is no real reason to play us over any of the more fancy races because the "jack-of-all-trades" bonus we get in most video games doesn't rly account for much in crawl.


Really, the "generic jack-of-all-trades" characterization that many games attribute to humans strikes me as just lazy thinking -- surely humans must have some distinguishing feature as compared to other species.


The only other adaptation we humans have besides our adaptability that I can think of in the short time I have to write this post is that we are crazy good at running ridiculously long distances.

e: dexterous hands too
take it easy
User avatar

Pandemonium Purger

Posts: 1337

Joined: Saturday, 7th July 2012, 02:28

Location: Limbo

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:46

Re: We are the human race!

Humans are extremely endurant, great at recovering from wounds, cunning as fuck and very good killers that are also capable of mind-boggling skill.

yeah clearly they're just average jack-of-all-trades sure
(why the hell do you think they got to the top of the food chain in the first place)
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:56

Re: We are the human race!

Bloax wrote:why the hell do you think they got to the top of the food chain in the first place

because Trolls do not actually exist

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, mechanicalmaniac, tedric

Snake Sneak

Posts: 117

Joined: Thursday, 29th January 2015, 19:52

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:58

Re: We are the human race!

Sar wrote:
Bloax wrote:why the hell do you think they got to the top of the food chain in the first place

because Trolls do not actually exist


They do exist on this forum ;)

For this message the author comebackshane has received thanks:
mechanicalmaniac
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 01:14

Re: We are the human race!

Bloax wrote:(why the hell do you think they got to the top of the food chain in the first place)


Agriculture.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Snake Sneak

Posts: 121

Joined: Thursday, 22nd May 2014, 00:57

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 01:19

Re: We are the human race!

i preferred "medium-sized creature prone to great ambition"
king of double damage

For this message the author DrKe has received thanks:
mechanicalmaniac

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1667

Joined: Saturday, 11th October 2014, 06:12

Location: Brazil. RS, Santa Cruz do Sul.

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 01:56

Re: We are the human race!

How about Hu starting with random aptitudes?
You shall never see my color again.

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 02:09

Re: We are the human race!

hooray for startscumming

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1667

Joined: Saturday, 11th October 2014, 06:12

Location: Brazil. RS, Santa Cruz do Sul.

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 02:21

Re: We are the human race!

Sar wrote:hooray for startscumming


I just found out the next thread title.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
Sar
User avatar

Shoals Surfer

Posts: 288

Joined: Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 20:51

Location: Britain

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 14:47

Re: We are the human race!

comebackshane wrote:"Mundane and average"?

Is that how we represent ourselves in a game? How about "a race of strong, intelligent, dexterous, industrious, hard-working, adaptable, ingenious, resourceful, multi-talented and flexible?"

Srsly, I rarely see anyone play humans (except one person, you know who I mean) and if you ask them why they will tell you "'cause I haven't won one yet." Rly?
Sadly there is no real reason to play us over any of the more fancy races because the "jack-of-all-trades" bonus we get in most video games doesn't rly account for much in crawl. I think that has to change! Who's with me?
A fully armoured fighter defeated by an adder? Is this how we show the world what a great race we are?
Let's stop hiding ourselves! We have a right to exist! We are just as strong as any orc and elf and ogre and dwarf and whatnot! Why belittle ourselves?

Buff humans!

Back on topic, I think people underestimate the power of being a Jack of All Trades. The sheer adaptability of having 0 in everything means you can do anything; and I have as several Hu characters. It just means that background matters alot more for Humans; and your D1 - D3 drops can determine your future gameplan alot more than some characters.

That said, humankind actually prevails as a species due to co-operation + specialisation. Are all people strong, intelligent and dexterous in equal measure? Not bloody likely... but strong man, directed by intelligent man, and tempered by dexterous man makes for an OP combo. Our species also prevails because we are the weakest, ironically. We're angry, bloodthirsty, merciless, cunning, backstabbing bastards precisely because most of us couldn't take a troll in a fist-fight; but would be willing to do anything to win.

Game mechanics wise, I'd love the idea that human could allow you pick 3 skills to have at +2 or something to show your natural interests. It would be a nice compromise and wouldn't require start-scumming.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

For this message the author eharper256 has received thanks:
Eyesburn

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4055

Joined: Tuesday, 10th January 2012, 19:49

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 16:55

Re: We are the human race!

fwiw human is my favorite race

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Tedronai

Snake Sneak

Posts: 117

Joined: Thursday, 29th January 2015, 19:52

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 17:51

Re: We are the human race!

crate wrote:fwiw human is my favorite race


comebackshane wrote:Srsly, I rarely see anyone play humans (except one person, you know who I mean)

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8782

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 19:24

Re: We are the human race!

Well I definitely like Hu better than Ce, DD, DE, Dr, Fe, Fo, Gh, Gr, Ha, HE, HO, Ko, Mf, Mi, Na, Og, Op, Sp, Te, Tr, Vp, or VS.

Tomb Titivator

Posts: 771

Joined: Tuesday, 25th November 2014, 02:47

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 20:51

Re: We are the human race!

When I am in the mood to play a flexible "play with what the dungeon gives me" character, I generally play demonspawn.
User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4358

Joined: Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 07:56

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 20:58

Re: We are the human race!

I like all races equally!

(Disclaimer: still never played Fo or VS, but I'm sure I'll like them equally too.)
DCSS: 77: ...SpWz{OgGlTrMo}{CeWnMfBeMiSk}DrEE{GrFiFoGl}DgEnFeNe{OpGlHuSu}DDAr
HaCKSpAEGrTmDgFEDsCjGhMoHuVM{HaAMBaEn}{HuMoHOWn}DsWzDDHu{DgWnGnBe}FeIE
{MiEnMfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWr
Bloat: 4: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa

Cocytus Succeeder

Posts: 2168

Joined: Saturday, 2nd February 2013, 09:52

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 22:54

Re: We are the human race!

duvessa wrote:IMO Hu is already stronger than DE, Ds, Fo, Gh, Gr, Ha, HE, Ko, Mu, Na, Op, and Te.

There is a typo in your post, you wrote Gr instead of Fe.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8782

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 23:05

Re: We are the human race!

Notice the alphabetical order. I believe that human is stronger than gargoyle and not stronger than felid.

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1774

Joined: Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 23:39

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 23:21

Re: We are the human race!

  Code:
<halberd> !lg greatplayers recent playable !boring / won s=crace o=%
<Sequell> 2461/23820 games for greatplayers (recent playable !boring): 89/413x Deep Dwarf [21.55%], 113/539x Gargoyle [20.96%], 82/419x Centaur [19.57%], 89/553x Ghoul [16.09%], 110/733x Draconian [15.01%], 118/847x Merfolk [13.93%], 56/405x Felid [13.83%], 68/561x Halfling [12.12%], 65/539x Naga [12.06%], 111/939x Ogre [11.82%], 68/604x Vampire [11.26%], 112/1029x Human [10.88%], 94/897x Hill Orc
<Sequell> [10.48%], 66/635x Spriggan [10.39%], 88/853x Demigod [10.32%], 87/846x Troll [10.28%], 109/1102x Formicid [9.89%], 85/897x Tengu [9.48%], 211/2236x Demonspawn [9.44%], 120/1294x Minotaur [9.27%], 62/698x Kobold [8.88%], 75/918x Deep Elf [8.17%], 68/912x High Elf [7.46%], 82/1104x Mummy [7.43%], 140/2274x Vine Stalker [6.16%], 93/1573x Octopode [5.91%]


Note that some races - particularly minotaur, spriggan, and vine stalker - may place artificially low here due to speedrunning.
Last edited by Berder on Sunday, 1st February 2015, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8782

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 23:23

Re: We are the human race!

Oh my fucking god.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Snake Sneak

Posts: 124

Joined: Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 07:08

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 23:37

Re: We are the human race!

nicolae wrote:
comebackshane wrote:Sadly there is no real reason to play us over any of the more fancy races because the "jack-of-all-trades" bonus we get in most video games doesn't rly account for much in crawl.


Really, the "generic jack-of-all-trades" characterization that many games attribute to humans strikes me as just lazy thinking -- surely humans must have some distinguishing feature as compared to other species.


Ketone metabolism! Atherosclerosis! What more could you want?

For this message the author Kismet has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Posts: 3160

Joined: Sunday, 5th August 2012, 14:52

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 14:39

Re: We are the human race!

Humans are my favorite species in crawl too, and I agree that they're better than a lot of races. More importantly, because they aren't pidgeonholed, they could reasonably choose anything that characters can do, so you're forced to make meaningful choices. That's much more exciting than having stupidly high apts in a few things.

Humans have no special properties because we judge all races based on their differences from humans. If minotaurs were default, humans would have the special property of great magic apts and ability to wear helmets.

Halls Hopper

Posts: 76

Joined: Monday, 12th May 2014, 15:51

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 16:27

Re: We are the human race!

Arrhythmia wrote:
Bloax wrote:(why the hell do you think they got to the top of the food chain in the first place)


Agriculture.


Humans are considered specialist-generalists. We specialize at excelling in every ecosystem role.

Halls Hopper

Posts: 76

Joined: Monday, 12th May 2014, 15:51

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 16:40

Re: We are the human race!

In MoO2 the main special power of Humans was that their government was a Democracy, which gave them some really strong boosts (but forbade you from exterminating species). In Twilight Imperium humans are the best at conquering worlds using their marines. In MoM humans were divided into Barbarians, Nomads, and High Men, and each had awesome unique units. In AoW 1 humans were sort of a baseline race, but their top tier unit was an airship, the best transport in the game, rather than being a powerful combat unit.

At first I didn't like that humans were just the "generic" race in Crawl. Some other races also have 0 apt in nearly everything, but their species mutations heavily impact their development and playstyle. Given the nature of Crawl, it is actually really useful to decent aptitudes in everything and be able to use (nearly) everything so that you can adapt to what the game provides. The unique ability of Crawl Hu is their adaptability.

And Hu also happen to make great "hybrid" Ne.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5333

Joined: Friday, 25th November 2011, 07:36

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 19:01

Re: We are the human race!

I'm surprised the thread got this far without mentioning humans have +1 experience aptitude. Probably because experience aptitudes are so hidden for some reason I don't understand (probably just don't have a good spot to display them).

There are a few other races with +1 exp, but it's fairly rare.
User avatar

Snake Sneak

Posts: 94

Joined: Tuesday, 6th January 2015, 22:03

Location: Eagleland

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 20:14

Re: We are the human race!

I think the reason humans are always seen as the Jack-of-all-Trades races in fantasy is because they seem the most normal to us, since they're our only reference point. A lot of people in this thread have suggested, with varying levels of sincerity, hilighting certain talents of humanity like dexterity or endurance -- but that's only the cased if we're talking relative to animals, not other sapient races.

I like calling them "A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition." If there's any trait I'd like to ascribe to humanity, it's being too big/just big enough for our britches.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 11111

Joined: Friday, 8th February 2013, 12:00

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 20:37

Re: We are the human race!

FR: humans get bonus for cunning/treacherousness: increased spell power for Inner Flame, 100% stab chance for attacking enslaved monsters etc.
We have many species with aux melee attacks but we don't have any species with ranged or magic aux attacks (Dith is close though).
Unrandart: Diabolic Sling, chance to create one of the following status effects on hit monster: Inner Flame, Slow, Confuse, Berserk, Frenzy. Cannot be used with good gods.
Unrandart: Staff of Weird Love, chance to cast Enslavement (subject to MR as usual, spell power depends on damage taken) after actual spell hits the monster (works for single target spells only). Cannot be used with evil gods.
User avatar

Slime Squisher

Posts: 405

Joined: Thursday, 1st March 2012, 01:42

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 20:56

Re: We are the human race!

Alright, how is this for a description:

"Bland and boring, humans are masters of inconspicuousness and mediocrity. Outstandingly unremarkable, they don't excel or under-perform at any particular background."

Alternatively,

"Squishy and unfit, humans are the masters of sedentary life. They excel at paperwork, videogames and public commuting"
Last edited by Pereza0 on Monday, 2nd February 2015, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Pereza0 has received thanks:
Zooty

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4055

Joined: Tuesday, 10th January 2012, 19:49

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 21:03

Re: We are the human race!

Probably because experience aptitudes are so hidden for some reason I don't understand (probably just don't have a good spot to display them).

?%
(or % at char creation)

Halls Hopper

Posts: 89

Joined: Thursday, 8th January 2015, 14:08

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 21:06

Re: We are the human race!

"They're okay I guess."

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1774

Joined: Monday, 21st February 2011, 15:57

Location: South Carolina

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 22:05

Re: We are the human race!

"Mostly harmless" doesn't fit as well as I would like it to.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks: 3
mechanicalmaniac, Sar, Sprucery

Snake Sneak

Posts: 117

Joined: Thursday, 29th January 2015, 19:52

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 03:40

Re: We are the human race!

Yes they get xp quickly but what does it matter if im level 3 and still weaker than a character of a different race at level 1?

Barkeep

Posts: 3890

Joined: Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 23:25

Location: USA

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 04:16

Re: We are the human race!

comebackshane wrote:Yes they get xp quickly but what does it matter if im level 3 and still weaker than a character of a different race at level 1?


By this logic I guess you'd have to buff or remove all species that aren't deep dwarves (and maybe centaurs and trolls)?

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Sandman25

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 07:10

Re: We are the human race!

You got to level 3 earlier than "a character of different race". You can learn level 3 spells now. You have more HP and MP (or "comparable amounts" if we're talking about huge HP pool races), more MR. How is that not good?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 4
and into, duvessa, mechanicalmaniac, TeshiAlair
User avatar

Snake Sneak

Posts: 90

Joined: Sunday, 6th March 2011, 18:13

Post Wednesday, 11th February 2015, 16:29

Re: We are the human race!

Humans are unique in the world of Crawl. Unlike all other magic-using races, their appendix is too small and withered to store mana. Instead, they have a unique connection to the raw magic that permeates the world.

Compared to other races, Humans have a very tiny reserve of mana, but regain it at a much greater rate.
Craziest Hamster

Spider Stomper

Posts: 206

Joined: Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 15:07

Post Wednesday, 11th February 2015, 19:29

Re: We are the human race!

Humans are uniquely able to grow a second set of teeth. This means that only humans can eat bread rations that are over 200 000 turns old.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5333

Joined: Friday, 25th November 2011, 07:36

Post Wednesday, 11th February 2015, 20:10

Re: We are the human race!

Zooty wrote:Humans are uniquely able to grow a second set of teeth. This means that only humans can eat bread rations that are over 200 000 turns old.

Oh god I wish my teeth are terrible. Please, please someone invent regrowing your teeth.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8782

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Wednesday, 11th February 2015, 20:36

Re: We are the human race!

what if when old people's teeth fall out it's because humans are actually supposed to grow a 3rd set of teeth eventually, and what we think is the adult set of teeth is actually just the 2nd set of baby teeth. but due to a defect in human dna the 3rd set of teeth grows inside your feet or something instead of your mouth, so we don't know that it exists

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
triorph

Halls Hopper

Posts: 68

Joined: Friday, 3rd January 2014, 22:52

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 15:08

Re: We are the human race!

If you want to make humans unique and flavorful, making them unable to cast spells is a good start.
That's a silly name!
User avatar

Pandemonium Purger

Posts: 1319

Joined: Monday, 24th October 2011, 06:13

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 17:47

Re: We are the human race!

re the title: who is this ``we?``
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6395

Joined: Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 19:06

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 18:22

Re: We are the human race!

Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.