Transformation Jewelry

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 00:10

Transformation Jewelry

There should be jewelry that would allow the wearer to take on new forms. for example, a ring of the Dragon would give on the ability to, temporarily, become a dragon. It would require magic and possibly have a hunger penalty. These ring or amulets could replace spells that have the same effect.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 00:17

Re: Transformation Jewelry

From "You Must read this before posting in GDD"
To make a proposal, follow these steps:

Study the philosophy section of the manual carefully. All changes to the game must be in line with the stated game philosophy.
Study the Refused and Rejected Concepts List to ensure that your idea is not on it.
Search the forum, the dev wiki, and the change logs to ensure that your idea hasn't already been suggested or rejected elsewhere.
Think hard about what it is you are trying to achieve. Proposed changes must be solutions to actual problems in the game, or genuine improvements to gameplay. Find out if the problem you want to solve is an actual problem that other players experience and not just clustering illusion, a freak set of circumstances that happened to you, or your personal taste. Everyone has encountered a situation they don't like and immediately thought "This should be redesigned!" Ninety nine percent of the time they are wrong. Ask about this before making a design proposal.
Clearly state in your post the reasons for your proposal.

Examples of good reasons for new proposals:
___ seems overpowered in situations where ___ because it allows players to ___. I think this could be resolved by...
A lizardman species would be an interesting new combination of such and such attributes and abilites, and fill the following empty niche...

Examples of bad reasons:
Unarmed combat is broken.
A rat species would be awesome.
I would like a cooking ability.
Work hard on your proposal. Provide details, and flesh out ideas as much as possible. Consider special cases and how your proposed changes interact with the rest of the game. Try coding at least some of your proposal. For help with coding species, see this post. The more work you put into your idea, the more likely it is to receive serious consideration.
Write clearly and concisely. Avoid rambling. Use paragraphs and lists. Ask for help with your writing if you need to.
Give your thread a clear, appropriate title.

Examples of good titles:
New god idea: Emos, god of suffering.
Nerf Wands of Magic Dart

Examples of bad titles:
My idea
How about this!
Mooooooo! <3
Don't make a single thread for discussing several unrelated topics. Such threads usually degenerate quickly into several discussions and are very hard to keep on-topic (since there are several topics). If you want to address a transverse topic (eg. documentation, clarity,...) while giving several unrelated mechanisms as examples, state clearly what the topic of the thread is (see above rule). A thread which degenerates in several unrelated discussions is hard to follow and moderate and will be Yiufed.
When (not if) someone criticises your idea, accept it. Listen. Adapt your proposal. Admit when you're wrong. Do not belligerently make the same case over and over. Basic etiquette and the forum rules still apply. If you feel a criticism is personal or unwarranted, use the report button or pm a moderator. Be advised that the forum benefits from a certain amount of astringent criticism of new proposals, and that whining on your part will weaken or destroy your case.
If your idea is received positively, move your proposal to the brainstorming wiki for further consideration, refinement, and possible implementation.
If all else fails, you can put your idea in the generic brainstorming thread. There's always the vanishingly small chance an idea from there will be picked up. After all, phase bats made it in!

1. You fail to identify why your suggestion would be an improvement or good addition to the game
2. Your proposal isn't fleshed out, and hasn't had much work put into it
3. You haven't stated the reasons for your proposal
4. You haven't provided much in the way of details
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Marethyu, TeshiAlair

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 19:59

With all those being true...

This is actually a kinda cool idea. Not necessarily in jewelry form per se, but transformation evokables.

Current evokables are all either "extra way to blast things from far away" or "extra way to make some homies," which isn't a bad thing at all since they are fun and offer different gating mechanisms (charges, exp refilling, etc) but is a very overlapping design space.

Meanwhile, with a few small exceptions, transforming yourself is not only limited to UC users, there are many transformations considered to be not very good. Moving some of the more situational ones to evokables and shifting the focus as to be useful to non UC players could be really interesting.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 20:09

Having an evocable that replaces level 7 spell is OP IMHO. I would rather see transformations as penalty for using evokables. Want to evoke fan of gales? Fine, but be ready to become a Wisp. Want phial of floods? Have a chance to get Ice Form-ed. Stone Tremor - Spider Form (not that bad, it's the worst evocable usually). Lamp of Fire - Porcupin Form (it's the best evocable because of clouds).

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 21:52

Sandman25 wrote:Having an evocable that replaces level 7 spell is OP IMHO.

Well currently there are multiple evocables that replace a certain level 6 spell (I do not advocate for removal of them, though).

Don't really see the point of adding more. At least evocable Invis helps with certain Trog dudes.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 19:43

Wand of fire and wand of cold also replace level 6 spells.

Maybe low-level transforms could work as rare artefact properties. They might just end up being weird like +Twstr though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 19:50

allow fencer's gloves to be evoked for blade hands

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 19:51

Wands of cold/fire make a lot of sense: their effect scales with Evo, they are not infinite, they replace spells that require a lot of investment to be cast at good spellpower.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 17:12

wheals wrote:Wand of fire and wand of cold also replace level 6 spells.

Maybe low-level transforms could work as rare artefact properties. They might just end up being weird like +Twstr though.

Now I'm imagining a randart that turns you into a tree, comparable with berserkitis.

It would be a terrible modifier, but it's amusing to think about.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 17:58

dornbeast wrote:Now I'm imagining a randart that turns you into a tree, comparable with berserkitis.

Do you mean un/randarts with eg. {*Tree} or {*pig} properties? Give {*rat} to ratskin cloak.
Comborobin Admin

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 17:22

xentronium wrote:
dornbeast wrote:Now I'm imagining a randart that turns you into a tree, comparable with berserkitis.

Do you mean un/randarts with eg. {*Tree} or {*pig} properties? Give {*rat} to ratskin cloak.

That sounds about right. I can't remember the artifact abbreviations off the top of my head.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 04:04

I like the idea, but I think any Evocable Transmutable item needs to give different forms than what is currently available, or at least whats currently castable. There seem to be alot of good forms from Polymorph, but I can't find a good list for it. I think I've been in Mushroom and Porcupine forms before and done well damage wise. Since its related, what about Jewelry, or Evocables that will give alot of temporary mutations? Sort of like mutation roulette but for one encounter.

Edit: What about a race or an Evocable that gives controlled Polymorph? Forms available could scale with character level, or Evocations skill.

Edit2: What if you continued to mutate until you took it off/ recast the evokable? It could give you a few 'free' good mutations to start, but the longer you mutated, the worse the mutations get. So you would want to keep it on as long as possible until the negatives eventually outweighed the positives, or you get a crippling mutation. The mutation timer should probably be tied to exp-gain to prevent waiting forever for mutations you like.
Last edited by wisp412 on Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author wisp412 has received thanks:
Berder

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 08:21

wisp412 wrote:Since its related, what about Jewelry, or Evocables that will give alot of temporary mutations

Pretty cool, make it work like wretched star pulse, but weighted towards good mutations (scaling with evo), add contamination cost to prevent abuse. Maybe it could have a chance to malmutate adj monsters too? (stacking wretched status is how malmutate works on monsters if i remember correctly)
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 18:46

I think the problem here is that an evocable ring completely displaces the purpose of the spells since it can be used infinitely.

Instead, make it a consumable. Maybe a potion/wand that transforms you in some random powerful form for a while. Could also be handy for transmuters that are still trying to get their spells going.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 21:41

Pereza0 wrote:Instead, make it a consumable. Maybe a potion/wand that transforms you in some random powerful form for a while. Could also be handy for transmuters that are still trying to get their spells going.

That's what the wand of polymorph does these days, right? Except many of the forms are difficult to use well.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 23:46

jejorda2 wrote:
Pereza0 wrote:Instead, make it a consumable. Maybe a potion/wand that transforms you in some random powerful form for a while. Could also be handy for transmuters that are still trying to get their spells going.

That's what the wand of polymorph does these days, right? Except many of the forms are difficult to use well.

Its heavily weighted towards bad/mediocre forms I think

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 02:14

@ jejorde2: Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Polymorph was meant as a player used debuff against monsters with some risk involved. Getting Polymorphed almost never ends well for me.

@Pereza0: The Transmutations provided should be different from the spells anyway, because the spell Transmutations are aimed at unarmed characters, and most unarmed characters have natural Aux attacks, or are interested in getting Transmutations up soon. These forms would ideally be aimed at weapon users, or should offer unique forms for Transmuters. I can't think of very many characters that would use a Bladehands or Dragon form potion if they had one, besides Transmuters themselves.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner