What is your favorite Ds mutation? Which is most helpful?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 21:40

What is your favorite Ds mutation? Which is most helpful?

So i've been trying for a demonspawn win -mainly DsAK, and i like the auto mutation roulette, i dislike some and believe they are wasteful for my build, ie. sharp claws, but i could be mistaken, which are the most useful in mid/end game for a mainly melee char (using axes or spears.. cant decide)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 21:53

Re: What is your favorite Ds mutation? Which is most helpful

and since im already a mutating abyss freak of nature i tend to drink potions of mutation and cut up and eat mutating chunks lol, not sure if thats a good idea yet but so far it tends to help more than hurt, had rPois/+10% HP/+4 Int/and some other decent stuff on my char last night, got squished in V:5 though lol (forgot i was a AK and corrupt could of saved me)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 22:00

Random muts are rather bad.

Ds muts are mostly very good and helpful.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 22:19

Gakhan wrote:So i've been trying for a demonspawn win -mainly DsAK, and i like the auto mutation roulette, i dislike some and believe they are wasteful for my build, ie. sharp claws, but i could be mistaken, which are the most useful in mid/end game for a mainly melee char (using axes or spears.. cant decide)

For my part, I tend to treat Demon spawn like they're even more random than they look until I know if they're going monstrous or not. (As an aside, I like that it's announced with the first mutation. I don't remember that from before, but I missed two updates.)

Once I know that, then I decide what to do - unarmed, or with a weapon, or whatever.

On the other claw, I've splatted more DS than I care to think about, so what do I know?

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 22:36

ive yet to try unarmed.. maybe next time i get claws ill give it a try, and man ive splatted probably 100+ Ds in the last couple days lmao

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 22:45

Demonspawn are one of my favorite races to play as I also enjoy discovering the random traits as I level up. For me, it's about figuring out how to leverage the mutations I get for the most benefit, rather than considering whether each mutation is good or bad for my 'build'. Pretty much all of them can be useful, though the body slot mutations can definitely be disheartening if they happen to displace a particularly nice item. For instance, I found a hat of the Alchemist in my current game, but couldn't wear it because of my horns. Really not so different from finding some amazingly good item on a species that's just missing the slot, but still stings a bit.

The random mutations you get from potions and chunks are a different story, though. The biggest issue is that some of the bad ones you can get are really bad (as in, will probably kill you, bad), whereas even the best of the good ones are just a small boost. I've had games where I felt like messing around and played mutation roulette, but it's never really worked out in my favor in the long run.

My advice for playing a Demonspawn (or any character, really) is don't start with a long term plan. Think about: what am I going to do to survive for the next few levels? Not: what am I going to be using to kill things when I'm in Zot? The traits you get, in combination with the items you find, will start to guide you along some course. But don't be afraid to change directions if a good opportunity arises. With your relatively flat aptitudes, there aren't huge biases toward training one thing or another, so think about what you've got and how you can use it.

One of the most useful things I've learned so far in crawl is that there is a rapidly diminishing return on investment as you put XP into skills. In addition, there are a lot of really powerful options that you can open up with a relatively small skill investment. So if a mutation seems like it's bad for your build, how about: how can I adjust my build to make it good?

All that said, I think my favorite mutation is Powered by Death; it saves a lot of tedium in resting between fights.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 22:49

thank you, i will try to be more open in the future, i got claws on this game so ill see about trying unarmed

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 23:54

oh yeah, i would say my favorite Ds mutation is the demonic guardian that helps, later i get two sometimes, and using a spear i can stand behind them in corridors and stab stuff over there shoulders lol

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 00:32

Demonic Guardian is much less helpful if you use any form of ranged attack.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 00:47

Sharp claws are goddamned amazing and you should switch to UC as soon as you get them.

But, to answer the original question, mana shield. Getting guardian spirit AND double mana regeneration? Yes please.

Negative energy resistance (the tier 3 set) might also get an honorable mention for black mark (basically vamp attacks).

I basically like things that make it impossible/really hard to run out of hp, because, if you haven't noticed, that kills you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 01:23

favourite: augmentation
most helpful: probably nightstalker
least favourite by an overwhelming margin: demonic guardian
least helpful: probably black mark since it does nothing until XL26, but spiny also does almost nothing i guess

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 04:28

maybe i have been trying to play Ds wrong, which is a good chance by how many times i splat

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 04:34

have to say without my four demonic guardians popping up that player ghost would definitely have just killed me xD

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 05:22

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt -- current meatbag, got claw 3 aux attack, and my guardian, and i still say i like them, distractions while you run/shields to stab through and once it goes to 2 ok for dealing dmg and killing things

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 07:06

--
does -3 LOS mean less squares you can see? is stealth that good for the loss of vision?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 07:35

LOS is reciprocal. If you can't see a monster, it can't see you.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 10:44

Gakhan wrote:

--
does -3 LOS mean less squares you can see? is stealth that good for the loss of vision?

The misunderstanding here is that loss of vision is in some way bad. At all time in this game your threat scales with the number of visible tiles, this is the cap on how many bad guys can see you (and therefore act upon you) at once. Its also why lantern of shadows is so OP. As mentioned above, bad guys in crawl dont actually see a set number of squares, they dont really do any 'see check'. If you see them, they see you. (barring Inv)

My favorites are probably claws, spirit shield and the AC/HP scales (rugged brown). I dont pick a melee option for my demonspawn until the heritage starts to show. For this reason I tend to take 'pure' book starts to avoid getting any weapon skill at all. Because Claws.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

For this message the author celem has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 14:13

I've got an augmentation/ignite blood/powered by death Ds in play atm. I've had hellfire before on one, but I think ignite blood might just be more fun. While you have to play at least somewhat conservatively with hellfire due to it damaging you, ignite blood is just free and goes off all the time, even if you're fighting enemies that don't bleed (since you do). Plus it regularly gives you safe spots to stand in for avoiding AOE cloud effects (made Swamp a lot less painful in a game where I have four runes and no rPois).

It's kinda hard to tell how much Augmentation is changing things, since you can't just 'unequip' it to get a feel for the difference, but I'm tearing through pretty much everything with a +4 lajatang of slicing, so it's certainly helping.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 21:56

Aug is something like 4/8/12 slay at max HP depending on your mut level, which is a lot.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 22:28

You have reached level 8!
Your demonic ancestry asserts itself...
Your hands twist into claws. --
and i have hooves and my favorite guardian helpers lol, lets see how unarmed plays out,got UA skill at 6.7

EDIT- and at lvl 9 i got horns lol, do aux attacks stack?

edit-- succumbed to poison at lvl 11.. damn snakes and spiney frogs

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 00:56

Is Black Mark still around in trunk? It adds a vampiric brand to your attacks 20% of the time and applies antimagic, weakness (whatever that does) or slow. The vampiric even works on undead and demons
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 01:57

When you get a bunch of body-slot mutations like that, it means you're playing a 'monstrous' Demonspawn. They're a bit tricky, as you wind up losing a lot of armour slots over time. Personally I've never had very good luck with them and they wind up dying early deaths.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 02:42

ive never gotten far with a monstrous Ds either, just had a nice Ds working,exp lvl 15 and i lost my nice +2 boots with +3 slay +Rc +(something else- Sinv i think) and it hurt me,before i lost them i had near +10 slay and some other nice artefacts... but i like when the mutations hit tier 3 early, like this Ds char has slimy scales 3 before i even finished clearing D:2. rPois is nice, not having it has killed me a hundred times

edit-- and char is quickly killed by grinder..mother fu...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 03:11

I like the following combos: