Draconian Colors Idea

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 17:43

Draconian Colors Idea

Its has been bugging me for a while so i decided to brainstorm about it, any feedback is welcome.

Bad Design:

Draconian colors tries to be a mix of drakes and dragons which results in some less powerful, more vulnerable colors that gives the player the "short stick" whenever they get it.

The pale draconian doesnt have any resistances or decent aptitudes but a unreliable utility breath. Also they no longer grow large wings for some reason.

The Mottled draconian is a weaker version of the red draconian, no resistances or good aptidudes, can only breath at units close to it and it can be avoided.

Also, Draconian colors may conflict or cause confusion over the color of other dragons or creatures.

Proposed changes:

Remove pale and mottled draconians;

Increase yellow draconian transmutations aptitude to +2;

Change purple draconian to Quicksilver draconian;

Change black draconian to Storm/blue/cyan draconian;

Add the following colors:

Shadow/black draconian - Receives rot immunity, miasma breath(affects a single tile like red draconians' breath), necromancy aptitude +2 and its dragon form gives RN+;

Purple draconian - Breath orb of energy(breathes randomly between a magic dart, Iskenderun's Mystic Blast or Orb of destruction) and conjuration aptitude +3.

Phase draconian - Convert scale's AC to EV, has no breath but the ability to blink and aptitude to translocations +2;

Fairie draconian - Breath Hallucination clouds(works like a ghost crab's breath, but summons weaker critters illusions to attack whoever stands on it), warding and aptitude to summoning +2;
You shall never see my color again.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 17:50

Re: Draconian Colors Idea

Pale draconian is one of the stronger colors, as being able to manipulate LOS is extremely powerful. They still do that, right?

For this message the author Jarlyk has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 18:01

Note that mottled dragon breath can hit multiple creatures and does more damage than any other dragon breath. rSticky isn't all that useful, but they do get a bonus fire aptitude, with no negative, which I think is a fair trade for red drac's +2 fire and -2 ice.

Pale dracoinian breath is actually the single most useful dragon breath in the game (at-will-fog on a breath timer) (Admittedly it's defensive rather than offensive, so this is often overlooked or confusing for new players who don't understand how to use fog effectively) It's certainly not "unreliable" Also rSteam is pretty useless, but they get +1 fire, +1 air, and +1 evocation, with no drawback, Pale draconians are pretty much the best color you could ask for.

It's not explicit, but I think since the tile and console gyph are blue it makes sense to make Black draconians->Blue draconians, and either make Quicksilver dragons purple or purple draconians "quicksilver" would probably also increase clarity.

I like:
Shadow (although miasma is a really powerful breath weapon, so it probably needs to lose or have one of it's other bonuses toned down slightly)
Phase (I might actually remove blink and give them a 'teleport other' breath weapon)

I don't like purple. And I think faerie might have potential, but the breath weapon is too powerful, even if it only summoned butterflies it would be more powerful than a breath weapon should be.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
nago, Sar, TeshiAlair

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 18:09

If Steam Draconian and Storm Draconian are clearer than Pale and Black, I guess that's okay.
Ditch the colors then, and make the set:
Acid Draconian (yellow)
Bone Draconian (grey)
Fire Draconian (red)
Ice Draconian (white)
Napalm Draconian (mottled)
Steam Draconian (pale)
Storm Draconian (black)
Quicksilver Draconian (purple)
Venom Draconian (green)

I think I would always be disappointed to roll a phase draconian. All draconians have a tendency towards weak AC, and these would be worse off. Breath of displacement (blink other) would be better than a blink self ability. Blink is already very common.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 18:19

I think the only thing i dont like about pale is that its dragon form only receive rpois, making it very vulnerable. The mottled draconian breath is the strongest, but it can miss, as it does a lot.
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 19:05

Red - +3 Fire; -2 Ice. rF+ Breath unchanged.
Mottled - +2 Fire; +1 Spellcasting; -2 Ice. rSticky Breath unchanged.
Purple - +3 Spellcasting; -2 Fighting. MR+. Breath unchanged.
White - +3 Ice; -2 Fire. rC+ Breath changed to freezing/slowing effect like Glaciate. Damage uneffected.
Silver - +3 Earth; -2 Necro. AC+ Breath based on Metal Splinters dragon effect (ranged powerful pure physical, checks AC).
Cyan - +3 Air; -2 Earth. Fast 1. Air Blast: Weak physical damage, ignores AR; knocks target back 1d4 spaces. Increased damage if they hit something.
Brown - +2 Earth; +1 Fighting ; -2 Air. Robust 1 Calcifying Breath: AoE Petrify using similar rules to Catoblepas breath.
Black - +3 Necro; -2 Pois. Saprovore. Draining breath.
Pearl - +3 Fighting; -2 Spellcasting. rN. Holy breath; may paralyze demons. (Would be only non-TSO source of ranged holy).
Orange - +2 Air, -1 Translocations. rElec. Uses what is now Black's breath.
Green - +3 Summoning, -2 Translocations. rCorr. Fertile breath: Summons briars, mushrooms and plants between you and target.
Yellow - +3 Poison, -2 Necromancy. rPois. Combines current green and yellow (Weak attack can corrode and/or poison.)
Pale - +1 Ice, +1 Translocations -1 Fire. LoS -1. Breaths fog (no damage; but blocks LoS).
Grey - +3 Translocations; -2 Summoning. cTele. Teleport other breath.
Pink - +2 Hexes; -1 Charms. Clarity. Ensorcering Breath - Uses Level vs. target's HD to try to pacify or enslave (both effects temporary).
Shiny - +2 Charms; -1 Hexes. EV+. Has ability to evoke Repel Missiles instead of breath.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 4
dynast, tasonir, TeshiAlair, wisp412

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 20:37

PleasingFungus wrote:DWACONIANZ!

What about their associated Dragon Form forms?

Also, one could imagine Black (with draining breath) also having some innate rN+, and would be good-diety-restricted.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Barkeep

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 21:06

PleasingFungus: Whatever happens to the playable species, please don't add that many draconian enemy types to the game.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
duvessa, TeshiAlair, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 01:03

I actually rather like PF's list, if it's considered acceptable to have that many draconian types.

edit: nevermind, ac from gray was moved to silver, I see now.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 01:29

I thought he was joking.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
and into, nago, PleasingFungus, rockygargoyle, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 05:39

duvessa wrote:I thought he was joking.

A lot of effort for a joke. Subtle.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 05:49

XuaXua wrote:A lot of effort for a joke. Subtle.

it was actually very little work at all

(many thanks to bcadren for the list!)

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, TeshiAlair

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 05:50

XuaXua wrote:A lot of effort for a joke. Subtle.

show me an effortless joke and i will show you an ordinary line of text
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle, tedric

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 09:33

Red - +3 Fire; -2 Ice. rF+ Breath unchanged.
White - +3 Ice; -2 Fire. rC+ Breath changed to freezing/slowing effect like Glaciate. Damage uneffected.
Silver - +3 Earth; -2 Necro. AC+ Breath based on Metal Splinters dragon effect (ranged powerful pure physical, checks AC).
Cyan - +3 Air; -2 Earth. Fast 1. Air Blast: Weak physical damage, ignores AR; knocks target back 1d4 spaces. Increased damage if they hit something.
Brown - +2 Earth; +1 Fighting ; -2 Air. Robust 1 Calcifying Breath: AoE Petrify using similar rules to Catoblepas breath.
Pearl - +3 Fighting; -2 Spellcasting. rN. Holy breath; may paralyze demons. (Would be only non-TSO source of ranged holy).
Green - +3 Summoning, -2 Translocations. rCorr. Fertile breath: Summons briars, mushrooms and plants between you and target.
Yellow - +3 Poison, -2 Necromancy. rPois. Combines current green and yellow (Weak attack can corrode and/or poison.)
Pale - +1 Ice, +1 Translocations -1 Fire. LoS -1. Breaths fog (no damage; but blocks LoS).
Pink - +2 Hexes; -1 Charms. Clarity. Ensorcering Breath - Uses Level vs. target's HD to try to pacify or enslave (both effects temporary).
Shiny - +2 Charms; -1 Hexes. EV+. Has ability to evoke Repel Missiles instead of breath.

Also add Gold/Holy draconian that has an Invocations boost (+2)/stealth malus (-1) and fires searing ray as its breath, rTorment, and I'll be happy.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 04:30

PleasingFungus wrote:Red - +3 Fire; -2 Ice. rF+ Breath unchanged.

These are really amazing. Maybe Grey Drac breath should cause random blink away, with a chance to teleport? Teleport other 100% seems too strong, and rolling for success seems bad as well. Green breath should probably summon random animals to avoid overlap with Fedhas' plants. Perhaps Pink could have a chance to confuse or sleep as well. Everything else looks amazing, and it would be unbelievable to have such a large list of Drac colors to roll from! This would end up as my most played race easily.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner