The RNG is taunting me

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 19:45

The RNG is taunting me

I'm a terrible Crawl player (mostly through button-mashing lack of patience). I have splatted hundreds, nay thousands of characters since my first and only 3-rune win.

I just fired up the game with yet another MiGl and my first three item finds on D:1 were, in order...

+0 pearl dragon armour
+4 ring of dexterity
ring of poison resistance

I fully expect to be eaten by a grue in the next 500 turns.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 19:48

Re: The RNG is taunting me

Try to play slower and more carefully, let it be another victory!

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 20:55

Taking a very long break from crawl helped me to get a much better player. I'm no longer so excited about everything, and evading enemies that look difficult has almost become a habit. Now that I run from fights much earlier my success rate has multiplied by factors. What helped me a lot was playing weak races (few HP) like spriggans, tengu and felids to learn that pressing fight often equals early death.

For this message the author DDDD has received thanks: 2
Jarlyk, Sandman25

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 14:57

As I suspected -- Duvessa and Dowan came around a corner just after I was taken down to half hp by an orc priest's smite, and I didn't have any escapes or heals ID'd yet. Curse you, RNG! Curse yoooooou!

I can't even blame myself for my usual sloppy play on this one... since I usually wait a couple of levels to mass-ID by quaffing and reading all at once. Usually the first time I end up with a bad cursed item and I start fishing for RC scrolls.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 15:01

starhawk wrote:since I usually wait a couple of levels to mass-ID by quaffing and reading all at once.

This is wrong approach IMHO. It's better to have a single scroll of blinking and nothing more than 2 scrolls of DWKVCVEKE. I usually read even scrolls when there is only 1 in the stack, it helps to know that I don't have teleportation/blink and shouldn't risk.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
starhawk

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 18:51

Sandman25 wrote:
starhawk wrote:since I usually wait a couple of levels to mass-ID by quaffing and reading all at once.

This is wrong approach IMHO. It's better to have a single scroll of blinking and nothing more than 2 scrolls of DWKVCVEKE. I usually read even scrolls when there is only 1 in the stack, it helps to know that I don't have teleportation/blink and shouldn't risk.

Thanks, I may have to start taking this approach... I usually wait to read scrolls until i need a magic mapping to find a timed portal, or I put on a really bad cursed item and need my first RC. By that time I can usually count on whichever potion has 3+ in inventory being cure/heal, and confirm it when I stumble on Identify.

Given how many really pretty-good characters I splat before Lair (or even before Temple) I obviously need to change something in my playstyle. Perhaps this should be it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 20:52

It has been recommended (I forget who suggested it) to start reading scrolls on D4 in hopes of finding mapping and locating the temple a bit sooner. I do that unless I have curses to resolve.

I don't like reading scrolls on D1 because I don't like the higher chance of wasting recharge and enchant weapon. Of course, I often die with a surplus of those (and of wand charges), so I should probably read everything as I find it.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner