Ideas for new gods

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 8th January 2015, 20:25

Ideas for new gods

Hi, i'm ElGatoWashin... in english "TheSexyCat" :mrgreen: ... this is my first post :p i speak spanish and i understand more than i speak English (if i speak as a caveman already know the reason :? ). Okay, i would like to contribute ideas to create new gods, for example a god of the arthropods (but would be necessary to make modifications for the arthropods or would be annihilated by any demon :| ) how i takl wrong, I would read your thoughts and comment on among all! perhaps this is one horrible post but really appreciate a small contribution :3 Greetings!
My english is very bad...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 8th January 2015, 20:46

Re: Ideas for new gods

Welcome to the Tavern, ElGatoWashin. If you're interested in contributing to game design, please first read the "You Must Read This Before Posting in GDD" post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7178. The rules and recommendations there should help you to put together the sort of post that will help contribute to the ongoing game development conversation in this forum.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
and into, ElGatoWashin

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 8th January 2015, 20:47

Hi.

If you have a proposal for a feature for crawl, it's going to need to be fully fleshed-out. Just throwing out the idea of an arthropod diety won't get you anywhere. You'll need to have powers, conduct, wrath, likes/dislikes all figured out. On top of that you need to explain what makes this idea important/good. A design space that's missing in crawl and how your proposal fills that niche.

You also might want to try the ##crawl-dev IRC channel.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

For this message the author Sharkman1231 has received thanks:
ElGatoWashin

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 8th January 2015, 21:55

Bienvenido.

Also expect that your ideas will be criticised for good, maybe somewhat harshly.

It is difficult to have a full consensus and even more difficult that something has really a positive impact because Crawl is a complex game and many things are currently available by some mechanics, either gods, spells or artifacts and many more things are necessarily to be avoided because may encourage tedium, grinding or simply don't fit with the philosophy of the game.

Finally, tavern is a place where many ideas are tossed and die in the brainstorming process and devs usually are more prone to look at wiki if there's a sound and well written proposal.

Do research in the threads to avoid repetitions and take example of how some features are proposed.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

For this message the author Roderic has received thanks:
ElGatoWashin

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 9th January 2015, 03:26

wow i'm a noob, DCSS is a very difficult game, i was playing for more than 6 months to win with the orb and 7 runes (3917609 points in DCSS 0.14 offline, MiFi) and still i not know much off the game :/ DCSS has a great story, but is very large XD I have not given the time for read it and the fact that this in english does not help me much... thanks ^^ I will follow the advice of Lasty. Good night.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 9th January 2015, 15:45

As far as story goes you're a surface dwelling hippie who declares war on the dungeon for a pretty marble.

But good luck with fleshing out a god proposal.

Tip:

Try and center your god around an aspect of the game, or some theme. We have Xom of chaos, Elyvilon of healing, Kiku of necromancy, Jiyva of mutating, Dithmenos of stealth, etc. A god of arthropods could be based around stasis or something, for example. (It might need to be more interesting than that.)
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

For this message the author Lyrick has received thanks:
ElGatoWashin

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 10th January 2015, 05:14

Hey, ElGato. Lasty fielded this one for me, for the most part. I'm moving your thread here to CYC simply because it isn't a full proposal for a god yet.

Beyond what Lasty said, I'll add a few things. Even very good ideas that are proposed on the Tavern are not added to the game. The actual work of coding is done by the developers ("devs" for short), and on a volunteer basis. Several of them read the Tavern, but nearly all of them have their own ideas and their own projects that they are actively working on. While ideas from the Tavern will (rarely) end up in the game, mostly the Tavern is a fan site, not a place where people get actual work on the game accomplished. (Things are different if you can actually do the coding work yourself, and you use the Tavern as a place to workshop an idea that you can work on yourself, but I assume you would mention that in the OP if that were the case.)

I'm not saying any of this to discourage you, just to make sure you have the right expectations. The Tavern is a place where you can discuss things like god proposals and game design seriously (and not seriously, depending on the forum). If you would find that enjoyable on its own, whether or not your idea finds its way into the game, then posting a god proposal in GDD is a good idea.

Oh, and welcome to the Tavern! :)

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
ElGatoWashin

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 12th January 2015, 13:15

Thank :D i understand, don't worry ^^ when I have closer idea of the game i share with you guys. If I have to change the game i will just in offline mode, and then I'll give all the details so they can comment and help me edit (as in another post if I'm not mistaken it was Lasty about a god of sacrifice or something). By the way... why the developers removed nausea of the game? that makes the game easier and then not be a challenge :/ (although in itself it is very difficult). greetings and thanks :D

I must say, the welcome you have given me is really nice ^^

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th January 2015, 15:06

Nausea was quite annoying and not much of a challenge. Think of how many times it actually hurt you. Usually, it just meant that you had to go some place and press 5 for a while, since it did more to affect the time between fights than the fights themself.
Some changes have been made semi-recently that make the game harder (depths is worse than the old 27-level dungeon, for instance).

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 13th January 2015, 14:06

Mmmmm... ok. Why when you use the auto-explore not know when one flesh rots? is annoying when using a ghoul :/ they consumes flesh rot and if you let it pass long time disappears.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th January 2015, 14:45

ElGatoWashin wrote:Mmmmm... ok. Why when you use the auto-explore not know when one flesh rots? is annoying when using a ghoul :/ they consumes flesh rot and if you let it pass long time disappears.

Something like this in you rcfile might work:
  Code:
: if you.race() == "Ghoul" then
runrest_stop_message += smell.*(rott(ing|en)|decay)
runrest_stop_message += something tasty in your inventory
: end
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 14th January 2015, 16:04

Honestly I don't think chunks rotting has any purpose anymore. As a Gh I just eat whenever I start rotting, it really doesn't make a difference if my chunks are fresh or rotting.
IIRC the only race besides ghouls who can eat rotten meat are currently trolls. With a troll you can be engorged all the time by eating fresh meat, it really doesn't make a difference that you can eat rotten meat.
Comborobin Admin

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th January 2015, 21:58

This was probably why it was removed in trunk.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner