If I were asked to redisign felids...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 01:21

If I were asked to redisign felids...

Here is what I would propose.

1. Cats die. They get no extra lives, which is a mere gimmick that doesn't even make fantasy sense. Cats suffer and die just like everything else. They have one life to live, as all do.
  2. Cats are hyperaware. They are granted an unprecedented power of complete awareness of their surroundings. Every level is magically mapped upon entry, and every monster in range is fully known, like an enhanced antennae that shows not just the presence of a monster, but what monster it is. They simply see everything. Nothing is hidden.
  3. Cats are magical. Increase their spellcasting and specialty school aptitudes accordingly. They should be magically affine second only to deep elves.
  4. Cats don't leap. They pounce, grab their prey in their front claws and teeth (a kind of constriction), and eviscerate their victims with forceful kicks of their sharp hind claws. Let this vicious attack be their special ability.

Edit: Removed:
  • Cats are pious. So they gain piety at 1.5 times the normal rate of other species.
Last edited by Aule on Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 01:29

Re: If I were asked to redisign felids...

Aule wrote:
  1. Cats die. They get no extra lives, which is a mere gimmick that doesn't even make fantasy sense

have you never heard the expression that cats have nine lives

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 01:42

Of course I've heard it. It's an expression referring to that which is erroneously thought of as good luck, but it actually a result of their hyperawareness. :) But they don't actually have nine lives. They pretty much stay dead if they're killed, unless you live in Bangor, Maine.

Edit: I've also heard of "cat in the hat" and "puss in boots" so by your logic they should be allowed to wear those items.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 01:52

"Felids lack opposable thumbs and are incapable of any form of advanced item manipulation."

And yet they can open doors, unlike every other handless non telekinetic creature in the dungeon.

Unless... they're actually telekinetic?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 02:00

fisheye wrote:"Felids lack opposable thumbs and are incapable of any form of advanced item manipulation."

And yet they can open doors, unlike every other handless non telekinetic creature in the dungeon.

Unless... they're actually telekinetic?

Though it is technically true they lack opposable thumbs, their paws and claws can fold themselves around small objects to grasp them just fine. When I am holding or carrying one of mine, one palm cradles their front under their paws, and, purring affectionately, they will often "grab" my thumb or finger, fully extending their long talons completely around it, though gently, without injury.

At the very least, I think felids in Crawl should be designed with an appreciation for real cats. ;)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 02:12

@fisheye:

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, Brannock, EugeneJudo, GlassGo, Jarlyk, nicolae

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 02:34

Aule wrote:At the very least, I think felids in Crawl should be designed with an appreciation for real cats. ;)

I don't think real-life cats are particularly pious. ;)

For this message the author qwesdf has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 02:42

Sar wrote:@fisheye:
Ugh that shouldn't be a gif. If there's one video that needs the sound it's that one.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 02:54

qwesdf wrote:
Aule wrote:At the very least, I think felids in Crawl should be designed with an appreciation for real cats. ;)

I don't think real-life cats are particularly pious. ;)

Also, magic isn't real.
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 03:29

if that were the case, felids would respond to keypress commands about ten percent of the time

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 11
Arrhythmia, Bloax, cerebovssquire, duvessa, GlassGo, Hirsch I, Lasty, mikee, Sar, WalkerBoh and one more user

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 01:00

If I were asked to redesign felids, here is what I would propose, remove.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 02:50

if i was asked to redesign felids i wouldn't typo design in my proposal

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 05:15

if i was asked i wouldn`t give any ideas and i wasn`t asked and anyway i`m still not giving any
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 09:18

They pounce, grab their prey in their front claws and teeth (a kind of constriction), and eviscerate their victims with forceful kicks of their sharp hind claws. Let this vicious attack be their special ability.

They scratch you over the wrists, run outside to escape consequences, almost get killed by the neighbours' 20 year old cat because they are a weak piece of shit, flee up a tree, try to catch a bird and fail miserably, try to catch a squirrel (being too stupid to see that's hopeless in the first place) and fail miserably, then come inside and wait for their food like nothing happened

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 13:25

I like this. Make them the ultimate "choose your own encounters" specie. How ever, cats are not pious. If anything, they are divine them selves, so that would make them more like demigods... They would choose, which god would serve THEM and gods do not appreciate that, resulting in slower piety gain.

Cats also exist in more than 3 dimensions. That's why they seem to some times stare at "nothign" or chase invisible things. In reality they are looking or chasing something that exists in a dimension that humans have no concept of. (This should not have any in game effect :) )

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 13:33

Felids already have SInv.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 16:10

MrRokkomies wrote:Cats also exist in more than 3 dimensions. That's why they seem to some times stare at "nothign" or chase invisible things. In reality they are looking or chasing something that exists in a dimension that humans have no concept of. (This should not have any in game effect :) )

I'm pretty sure your cat is just tripping balls.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 19:52

If I were asked to redisign felids... I'd call them "filids".
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 00:43

Please... my cat would take one look around D:1 and piss off again, possibly taking a rat to leave in my shoe.

Also, quite seriously. I thought the '9 lives' thing was a reference to the odd membrane thing they have (most felines have?) that wraps the inside of their stomach wall, providing some limited protection against severe internal damages during trauma. Cats can appear to 'shake off' some brutal appearing impacts because they dont bleed internally as easy as most species. Some kind of innate powered-by-pain no doubt.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 01:05

...I'd give them 9 lives straight up. No xp loss when losing an extra life but also no teleport. Revival would happen on the same square as death and with first action guaranteed.

Comparison to real life cats makes as much sense as comparison of Crawl octopodes to real life octopodes.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 03:47

Sprucery wrote:Comparison to real life cats makes as much sense as comparison of Crawl octopodes to real life octopodes.

They were idealized mythologies thought to have coherence. They are not intended to be biblical.

The ideas in sum would balance the weakness with more choices, and eliminate the gimmicky extra lives that run completely counter to everything crawl.

This was intended to be a serious discussion thread, but I supposed I failed to mention it.

Oh, and I failed spelling, to.

I was imagining people actually imagining playing this kind of critter, and enjoying the possibilities as I might imagine enjoying them. That was all.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 06:58

if you want a serious thread about game design don't post it in CYC
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 13:18

I guess while it's in CYC you just have to accept that you will get also (mostly?) non-serious answers. Sometimes it can be hard to tell which is which, though ;)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 17:01

Perfect level mapping including all monsters AND they are superpious? You forgot to add that they instantly know all spells and can will things to drop dead so that they dont have to be bothered to actually cast those spells.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 17:35

It's considered good manners to keep CYC topics on-topic if the OP asks for it. Because while CYC is the 'crazy stuff' board, it's also the 'Not quite fleshed out enough for GDD' board.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 19:23

Sar wrote:@fisheye:

Don't you start giving the devs ideas about hydras being able to open doors now.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 19:38

daggaz wrote:Perfect level mapping including all monsters AND they are superpious? You forgot to add that they instantly know all spells and can will things to drop dead so that they dont have to be bothered to actually cast those spells.

You're right.

Scratch the piety boost. (No pun intended.)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner