I actually miss Makhleb corpse sacing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 01:03

I actually miss Makhleb corpse sacing

I can see why they removed it from Oka

Oka never struck me as the type of person who would ask you to descecrate the body of a worthy opponent after you valiantly defeated him

but Makhleb? he is THE ritual sac guy if I've ever seen one... 100% in-theme

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 01:04

Re: I actually miss Makhleb corpse sacing

Insular Community wrote:I can see why they removed it from Oka

Oka never struck me as the type of person who would ask you to descecrate the body of a worthy opponent after you valiantly defeated him

but Makhleb? he is THE ritual sac guy if I've ever seen one... 100% in-theme

just look at the blodd splattered altars that (spoiler) saced humans in front of them

BLOOD AND SOULS FOR MAKHLEB

EDIT: I did NOT mean to speak to myself. Even though I make a good listener, it seems.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 01:19

it would be in-theme if your character had to take a pee every few hundred turns but that doesn't mean it would be good for the game

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 01:23

duvessa wrote:it would be in-theme if your character had to take a pee every few hundred turns but that doesn't mean it would be good for the game

Come on man that's not the same and you know it

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 02:44

Insular Community wrote:
duvessa wrote:it would be in-theme if your character had to take a pee every few hundred turns but that doesn't mean it would be good for the game

Come on man that's not the same and you know it

Makhleb corpse sacrifice wasn't removed for thematic reasons, it was removed because nobody really liked the actual mechanic of corpse sacrifice very much.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 02:45

I did, but I am usually in the minority on these things.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 04:04

Siegurt wrote:I did, but I am usually in the minority on these things.

Honestly, I didn't really mind it, but I can see why it was removed and it wasn't really interesting enough for me to really care about its absence. (This is how I feel about most stuff that gets removed.)

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 04:06

Keep corpse sacrifice for flavor, just don't give piety. The only issues I can see are minor added complexity, and that sacrifice is guaranteed removal of a corpse, including the skeleton (e.g., in the case you don't want an enemy reanimating it.) Otherwise, sacrifice is the same as butchering, minus the chunks.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 16:21

Makhleb's corpse sacrifice always felt wrong to me. You "ravage the bodies of the freshly dead" by... making them flash pretty colours and disappear? Some chaos & destruction that is!

The idea of Makhleb having corpse sacrifice was thematic, but the removal of Makhleb's corpse sacrifice as it was implemented may have actually been a net gain for theme. (Though that isn't why it was removed, of course.)

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 16:28

PleasingFungus wrote:Makhleb's corpse sacrifice always felt wrong to me. You "ravage the bodies of the freshly dead" by... making them flash pretty colours and disappear? Some chaos & destruction that is!

The idea of Makhleb having corpse sacrifice was thematic, but the removal of Makhleb's corpse sacrifice as it was implemented may have actually been a net gain for theme. (Though that isn't why it was removed, of course.)

fr: makhleb corpse sacrifice makes all corpses explode, spraying blood and chunks and doing damage

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 2
Brannock, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 19:30

I would love for Makh to get some corpse-ravaging powers.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 15:54

So do worshipers of Oka and Makh get piety more slowly now that piety-for-corpses is gone? Or were other sources of gain buffed to compensate?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 16:08

Piety gain was boosted to compensate. I don't have any experience with the new set up to say it was enough/too much.

For this message the author 1010011010 has received thanks:
starhawk

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 17:21

I can't speak for makhleb but Oka piety seems a lot less swingy now that you don't have to depend on corpses dropping.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 18:11

If anything, Mahkleb should be an asshole and auto-claim corpses for you, regardless of whether you are hungry or a necromancer or what...

You are nearing starvation!
You kill the ogre mage.
Mahkleb's spirit consumes the corpse of an ogre mage in a brief inferno.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 23:01

PleasingFungus wrote:Makhleb's corpse sacrifice always felt wrong to me. You "ravage the bodies of the freshly dead" by... making them flash pretty colours and disappear? Some chaos & destruction that is!

No, no, the pretty colours is (used to be?) Nemelex. MAKHLEB make corbse BUR IN A COLUMN OF FLAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *FWHOOOOSCHHHHH****

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 00:53

I think corpses in your vicinity should just sometimes randomly burst into a cloud of flame that sticks around for a while (Perhaps even while you are standing on them, Makhelb's probably fine with toasted worshippers) a pyre of corses stacked up in a hallway would probably keep the old demon lord pretty happy with the day's events, if more critters get consumed in the flames, so much the better :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 02:55

Insular Community wrote:No, no, the pretty colours is (used to be?) Nemelex. MAKHLEB make corbse BUR IN A COLUMN OF FLAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *FWHOOOOSCHHHHH****

actually, you're thinking of okawaru.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 03:08

PleasingFungus wrote:
Insular Community wrote:No, no, the pretty colours is (used to be?) Nemelex. MAKHLEB make corbse BUR IN A COLUMN OF FLAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *FWHOOOOSCHHHHH****

actually, you're thinking of okawaru.

I think with Makhleb corpse sacrifice you just kind of did nondescript but presumably violent Stuff to it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 05:00

There's a lot of blood involved.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 14:49

Probably involves penetration with a rod.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 15:07

rod stewart?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 17:42

nicolae wrote:I think with Makhleb corpse sacrifice you just kind of did nondescript but presumably violent Stuff to it.

"The goblin corpse disappears without a sign."
"The orc corpse flares red and disappears."
"The minotaur corpse flares blood-red and disappears."

I am a little confused. This was in the game for over a decade, as recently as ten days ago. I guess people preferred to ignore the messages and imagine their own, better messages instead?

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 18:28

PleasingFungus wrote:
nicolae wrote:I think with Makhleb corpse sacrifice you just kind of did nondescript but presumably violent Stuff to didn'tit.

"The goblin citorpse disappears without a sign."
"The orc corpse flares red and diI'mWrite, sappears."
"The minotaur corpse flares blood-red and disappears."

I am a little confused. This was in the game for over a decade, as recently as ten days ago. I guess people preferred to ignore the messages and imagine their own, better messages instead?

Makhleb's flavor description said something about ravaging the freshly dead, which I guess stuck in my mind more than the sacrifice message. I didn't pay Makhleb very often. (It looks like the verb was changed to "sacrifice" at some point too. I'm really out of it lately.)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner