Remember Me?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 17:59

Remember Me?

For those of you who don't remember me, I made a very long and controversial post on these forums almost a year ago about some of the major problems this game had and what needed to be fixed about them. I was met with narrow-minded criticism of people resorting to personal attacks on me, spreading outright lies about the things I had said, and saying that nothing I had listed as a problem was actually a problem. The thread was subsequently locked when the devs decided they were extremely upset about me posting facts and them having no counterpoints other than that I was wrong.

What was I 'wrong' about you ask? Well let's see, I argued that:
  • Ghouls were tedious and offputting and in need of redesign to ease their eating habits.
  • Demigods were weak and needed to be reworked to take advantage of their only real advantage, their exceedingly high stats.
  • Distortion brand being hidden was a poorly conceived concept because it led to anyone on a streak needing to treat every glowing weapon as having a chance to banish them, and never get hit by anything without risking effectively instantly dying.
  • Inventory Item limit(52) and weight limits were redundant and obnoxious and one of those systems needed to be removed.
  • Item destruction was an extremely unfun mechanic that served almost no practical purpose and encouraged repetitive, tedious, nonsense behavior(akin to breadswinging).
And obviously there were a lot more things included, but I wanted to bring attention to these specific ones for a reason. Can you guess? Well if you take a look at the patch notes for .15 and the notes-in-progress for .16 you may see some changes that correlate with these bullet points. Now personally, I found this VERY interesting as I was repeatedly condescended to by the devs and "more seasoned" players for daring to question their perfect game design with my uninformed suggestions based on ignorance and misunderstanding due to inexperience. And yet, in such a short time, the powers that be have suddenly gone from criticizing these suggestions to actively implementing them.

Now I don't expect any apologies or any such things. I don't even expect those involved to admit that any of this happened or that they could ever possibly be wrong(many of them have quite fragile egos). I also expect this thread to be locked before too long because of some technical violation they can drum up to silence me. I just wanted to remind people that it doesn't require someone to make thousands of posts to understand the game and be able to make suggestions about it(especially when that person happens to design games for a living *cough*). And that you shouldn't completely shut out someone who is trying to offer friendly advice because they are newer to the forums than you. So go ahead, flame me, call me a liar, lock the thread, do what you gotta do. Doesn't change the reality though, however much you want me to be wrong.

For this message the author NessOnett has received thanks:
twelwe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 18:08

Re: Remember Me?

Welcome back, we missed you!

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Lasty, rockygargoyle, TeshiAlair

Barkeep

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 18:20

NessOnett wrote: I also expect this thread to be locked before too long because of some technical violation they can drum up to silence me.

*scrolls up, sees this is posted in CYC*

*shrugs*

Oh, also, this:

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 18:22

<personal-attack>
It's almost as if the fact that you're an asshole overshadows the fact that you make intelligent points.

Fancy that.
</personal-attack>
Last edited by TeshiAlair on Friday, 5th December 2014, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 18:23

Well... I know people can be a bit prickly around here from time to time, but I don't think this 'I told you so assholes' post is going to help in the future, if your future goals include people listening to you.

I pretty much agree with all the stuff you listed there, but lots of people agree with those things. It's usually the proposed solutions that spark disagreement, along with the fact that some people are naturally contrarian(This is a word, right?). And if this post is indicative of your debate style, I would probably be hard pressed to agree with you even if you were arguing that sugar is sweet and lemons are sour.

Anyway, welcome back, hopefully you'll have a better experience here this time around.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, TeshiAlair

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 18:31

This my new favorite thread.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 4
duvessa, kvaak, rockygargoyle, wheals

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 19:02

Can you link to the first thread? I'd love to read it too.

I think a lot of those things, especially removing item destruction, were pretty commonly brought up and had pretty widespread support. I certainly love it being gone. Ghouls, weight limits, distortion being ID'ed on sight were smaller issues, but still pretty nice simplifications.

What really impressed me lately in trunk is all of the new transmutations/translocations spells. I have a hydra former going now, but I really want to start picking up the new translocations spells...

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 19:06

thanks and yes nessonet i remember you. those are good ideas and although most of them i came up with first i do support you having tried to further them. lets be frank the devs hate on good idea posts so they don`t get thanked and they drop to the second, third, fourth page which no one and i mean no one reads, then they steal the ideas. if you ever want to program for me i have a job for you, but you have to come up with original ideas instead of just stealing and reposting mine without credit.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, rockygargoyle

Barkeep

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 19:22

let's be fair; I came up with those ideas way before anyone, I just didn't tell anyone
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 19:26

OP, Nobody cares.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 20:01

Get in line, OP. The dev's will get on your stuff once they are done with the enhancements I demanded first.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 20:21

oh my god, you are a genius! like Twelwe but better! promote this person to dev immediately, or I will get mad and pout! and not a moe anime pout, but a 100kg bearded smelly gay man pout. you dont want to see that.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 21:13

The original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12566&p=176423

(Was started in May of this year, FWIW)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 21:20

Siegurt wrote:The original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12566&p=176423

(Was started in May of this year, FWIW)

From that thread:
Unfortunately for me, Tasonir posted an entire thread about this a few days ago, which is linked here. But it is still a major problem that I’d like to address. Damage varies too much in this game, with many damages being based off a single die roll that can go from 1 to ridiculously large numbers.

He agrees with me! Ness is right! Ness is a savior of our times! The second coming shall be remembered and embraced for generations to come! :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 21:36

MarvinPA summed that thread up nicely.
Also, I'm realizing how pouty this thread is.

But to a certain extent I can see where the OP is coming from. The Tavern is sorta known for it's saltiness, and less familiar Tavern spelunkers might be taken back by the reactions of fellow Taverners on a simple opinion. In the end though, the internet is the internet. Get over it.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
NessOnett

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 22:24

Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!

For this message the author Abominae has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 22:39

Is this another "troll" banned from IRC that and into allowed in to play-post?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 00:41

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 01:28

I do remember and I don't miss you.

Of the changes you list in your current posting, several were not referred to in your previous one. The exception is (un)disclosed distortion brands. From the tone of your posting I infer that you claim ownership for the ghoul and demigod changes -- it's preposterous, but it doesn't matter. (The first was an offshoot from another change, the latter came from a player patch moving automatic level stat increases into manual ones, an actual design idea completely absent from your drivel about demigods back then.)

You had a previous posting with generally pretty bad ideas, explained them even worse, and reappear with a smug new posting declaring you as design tsar, on the grounds of changes definitely not yours in any sense. It is true that developers read the forum and ideas from here may be discussed and implemented; the most recent occurrence is today, when crate's suggestion of reducing confusion duration got in. Thanks to anyone, and crate especially for this particular one.

Better off without you.
dpeg, ludophile layman, designer dilettante and all-around amateur

[I managed to not post in the previous round of nonsense, but I really believe that the forum is better off with our standard share of craziness --players and developers alike--, than this self-centered, loudmouthed specimen.]

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 7
duvessa, Hirsch I, Laraso, Mankeli, rockygargoyle, Sar, WalkerBoh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 02:00

XuaXua wrote:Is this another "troll" banned from IRC that and into allowed in to play-post?
no, he only trolls tavern
i highly recommend his post history, in particular pyromancer, beogh, and demigods.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Mankeli

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 02:03

Being able to point out problems and being able to find a way to solve them in a satisfactory manner are two very different things. Ness, all you're doing is bragging about having done the easy work - these are all things that many players had been pointing out for years.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 02:05

my favourite was "mummies have the worst MR in the game"

That said, having wrong opinions and being loud about them doesn't make one a troll. There are other words for that!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 15:38

Sar wrote:There are other words for that!

Yeah. "Is" and "Greyr"

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
and into

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 16:28

Sar wrote:my favourite was "mummies have the worst MR in the game"

In complete fairness, the difference between racial MR values is relatively subtle in-game, since the per-level difference is much, much smaller than the smallest value that's displayed. Even if you played mummies, you could easily fail to notice that you got your first racial MR+ some levels sooner than a human would - especially if you splat before you get that!

on the other hand, using the wiki as a basis for design suggestions is inexcusable.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 19:20

XuaXua wrote:Is this another "troll" banned from IRC that and into allowed in to play-post?

I dont get why he named himself after ness, this guy is way more of a pokey
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

For this message the author scorpionwarrior has received thanks:
duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 19:26

I don't know PF, I prefer to keep an eye on my MR and the difference between human MR and mummy MR is noticeable, if you ever managed to get your mummy far enough. An endgame mummy is an obvious example as it reaches the comfortable amounts of MR without any items; an midgame mummy only needs one MR item to be mostly safe from Hexes (noticeable when you are doing Vaults, for example, and aren't getting marked). Mummy MR-per-level is what, 5 to standard 3? Wiki still lists it as 3.

Edit: this page http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Magic_resistance says their MR-per-level is 5 (as Nagas'), which is almost twice above the baseline and is pretty good (as I can tell from my Naga experiences).
Last edited by Sar on Saturday, 6th December 2014, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 19:31

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, rockygargoyle

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 23:21

remember, y'all are talking to a person with opinions such as
Why does the trunk exist?

There is in fact, believe it or not, a middle ground between the 2. It is possible to get more than 3 (runes), and still not go through the boring areas. My other point was that in a game where you get 3, there is no reason not to get 4.

Nagas are very slow, that is very bad

A very one-dimensional approach to a very complex game. By this logic, Felids should be undisputedly in the top 3, yet by this listing they are among the lowest...even lower than Nagas.
Torment is extremely poorly designed

CheiNaga is a strong and natural coupling.

you want more than just AC/EV out of your armors(like resists and stats

welcome back nessonett, we missed you and your master debating skills

e: okay this is probably very offensive

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rockygargoyle

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 18:18

Apropos pyromancer, this might be the funniest thing you ever said, duvessa.. :lol:

duvessa wrote:the "mancer" means it refers to divination by flames. so like, back in the feudal ages, you could hire a guy to wear some robes and stare at a burning pig scrotum, and after a few minutes he'd tell you what kingdom to invade next

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 18:34

notcluie wrote:
ness wrote:CheiNaga is a strong and natural coupling.

I don't see anything wrong here. Of course, this may be because Chei is a strong and natural coupling to any race, but hey. :)

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 18:35

yeah it's nagas that are bad, not chei

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Barkeep

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 18:55

Yep, if there was one thing this thread really needed, just to round it out, it's another flare-up of the never-ending chei/naga debate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 19:09

I prefer a Mummy Centaur of Naga.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th December 2014, 20:01

If any component of your combo is Centaur, it's an overpowered combo, mummy or not.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 15:08

tasonir wrote:If any component of your combo is Centaur, it's an overpowered combo, mummy or not.

that's why my centaurs all rush necromut
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 16:46

While the OP may have made himself look bad in the one post he made, he's not the only one to act like a douche in this topic.

"Remember that time he was wrong? What an asshole1?!!?!?! ROFLMAO"

Stay classy tavern...

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 20:49

damiac wrote:While the OP may have made himself look bad in the one post he made, he's not the only one to act like a douche in this topic.

Stay classy tavern...

There's being wrong, then there's being wrong and following it up with white-hot arrogance.

See:

duvessa wrote:no, he only trolls tavern i highly recommend his post history, in particular pyromancer, beogh, and demigods.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 21:49

i love how OP just posted some wall of text then just left you guys to get mad at it
10/10 a* troll would bang

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Kismet, rockygargoyle, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 21:54

notcluie wrote:i love how OP just posted some wall of text then just left you guys to get mad at it
10/10 a* troll would bang

Oh that's where I remember your handle from. Every Steam review ever! :P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 22:04

damiac wrote:While the OP may have made himself look bad in the one post he made, he's not the only one to act like a douche in this topic.

Stay classy tavern...
99.9% sure getting these responses is the entire reason he posted it

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 23:12

Stay classy tavern...

You missed the part where I wholeheartedly endorsed OP's endorsal of my idea. Really, I think that's a valuable contribution to pointing out how awesome I am. It's true that I haven't taken this thread terribly seriously, and am joking around a lot, but I wouldn't call that douchey!

It's likely the original post was a (successful) attempt at trolling, but when the whole thread is fun for responders as well, I just call that an all around win. It's kind of like twelwe - he may be trolling, but he's good at it ;)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th December 2014, 01:05

tasonir wrote:It's kind of like twelwe - he may be trolling, but he's good at it ;)

twelwe is trolling? of course not, who would even THINK that!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th December 2014, 01:41

tasonir wrote:It's kind of like twelwe - he may be trolling, but he's good at it ;)

Pizza tornado is not a joke
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
Abominae, Kismet, rockygargoyle

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 10th December 2014, 14:20

I think you're being a little hard on yourself here. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 13th December 2014, 23:11

Greyr wrote:MarvinPA summed that thread up nicely.

I'd argue that Marvin's post better summed up THIS thread. Which is to say he used his powers to edit the posts of someone he disliked, then (falsely) quoted that change in an attempt to discredit the poster instead of providing any actual counterpoints.

Which is entirely the point. They would like to scream and cry about how they are infallible than listen to people who actually understand how designing games works.

Guess I should start taking screenshots of all my posts when I make them so I have hard evidence of them being stealth-edited by mods when it happens.

But as I said, I didn't expect this thread to make many friends. I just wanted it to be in your minds when patch .18 or .19 rolls around and we have the inevitable mummy redesign, damage formula remake, etc, etc, and the devs might actually take a piece of that humble pie they so desperately need. =]

For this message the author NessOnett has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 14th December 2014, 00:02

The moderation team stealth-edits posts all the time, it's kind of disgusting.

e: HAHA DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Hirsch I, mikee, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, xentronium

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 14th December 2014, 00:51

They would like to scream and cry about how they are infallible than listen to people who actually understand how designing games works.

And you've designed... which games, exactly?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th December 2014, 01:05

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, by proxy of the incompetent idiots calling themselves "dev team".

Edit: wow I didn't know Arrhy I respect that man but that is probably not the best thread to come out

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Hirsch I, Lyrick, rockygargoyle

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 14th December 2014, 01:27

I think some dev edited Arrhy's comment. the original was just
I SUCK COCKS

good thing I took a print. but I wont reveal it for fear of repression like the kind de dev-Nazis are submitting OP.
I too enjoy occasional cock sucking, there is nothing wrong with it.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Lasty, rockygargoyle

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 14th December 2014, 01:29

NessOnett wrote:
Greyr wrote:MarvinPA summed that thread up nicely.

I'd argue that Marvin's post better summed up THIS thread. Which is to say he used his powers to edit the posts of someone he disliked, then (falsely) quoted that change in an attempt to discredit the poster instead of providing any actual counterpoints.

so that's what marvinpa's been up to all this time

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
rockygargoyle
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner