Making pretty damage charts in xcode playgrounds

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 22:12

Making pretty damage charts in xcode playgrounds

So I've been picking up swift, apple's successor to objective-C code, and they have handy little playground areas which will let you mess around with code and generate pretty graphs. Decided to model claymore damage per aut based on skill level, and here's the result, in a large image so I put it behind a spoiler:

Spoiler: show

Increases more rapidly as you get to min delay at 24 skill, then levels off. Nothing new there, but it's a nice chart. You can see the exact values in the console output section, and the code I used to generate the graph on the left. I think it's a very nicely put together, and I'm wondering if people would want to see more charts like this? Is there something it would be handy to model like this, or is this mostly inferior to fsim data?

As a side note I'm not entirely sure that weapon skill increases damage by 4% per level, that's just from memory, was it 5%? Something like that. <.< I should figure out if I can plot two curves on the same graph so I don't need a new graph for each weapon modeled...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 23:41

Re: Making pretty damage charts in xcode playgrounds

Decided to expand on this a bit while bored at work on halloween: weapons compared to unarmed damage per level. For these images I bumped up the weapon damage increase to 5% per level, which I think it is. Take these with a grain of salt.

The higher the number, the better the weapon is over unarmed. This does not take into account enemy ac, which is why things like the quickblade look so good. It's a more fair comparison for the larger weapons, quickblade is an outlier here. I also completely ignore accuracy, because I'm lazy. Offhand attacks are omitted, everything is omitted, shields are never considered, etc, this is basically just me making pretty charts.

Quickblade
Lajatang
bardiche
demon whip
great mace

From this one might conclude that unarmed sucks, but you'd be wrong. #unarmedMasterRace #transmutations #INeedToGoHome

Edit: The quickblade chart is off by a bit more than I thought: I accidentally had its base damage as 7 instead of 5. So it's not quite that bad. Too lazy to reupload a new image, it's the same shape, just a bit lower. Also I mostly picked rather good weapons, things like whip/mace/long blades aren't going to compare as well, of course.

For example, a dagger only beats unarmed at <2 skill. Once you have 2 skill in unarmed, it's better and getting the dagger to min delay won't overcome unarmed 10 either (at 10, the dagger does ~75% damage). This probably isn't all that surprising, and I doubt many people used daggers for their melee damage (vs say, stabbing).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st November 2014, 00:00

Re: Making pretty damage charts in xcode playgrounds

Code:
int attack::player_apply_weapon_skill(int damage)
{
    if (using_weapon())
    {
        damage *= 2500 + (random2(you.skill(wpn_skill, 100) + 1));
        damage /= 2500;
    }

return damage;
}

In other words +1/25th (or 4%) max damage per weapon skill
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
tasonir

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner