Clusters of Illusions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 29th October 2014, 06:28

Clusters of Illusions

I have been noticing something that disturbs me because I expect to be told it is a clustering illusion but in fact it is so consistent that it is difficult to rationally come to any conclusion but that things have changed. So I figure a thread for people who are convinced their particular cluster of illusions are in fact based on reality would be appropriate.

This particular observation:
The Orcish Mines never produces any really interesting (nonconsumable) items in its 4 guaranteed shops. You may find useful consumables but if you are looking for armor as a trog you will find Booksx2 + foods + random petty stuff. Or perhaps you are a spell caster, you will find platearmors and such (but not enchanted ones), weapons you are not trained in, foods, and maybe potions.

This used to not be the case in prior versions but I started noticing this as soon as I started playing v0.14+. It is my contention that shops (particularly in the Orcish Mines) have been nerfed without comment. Granted I haven't been playing as much lately and when I do I often splat before Orcish Mines but every character that makes it through O4 comes out with the same items they came in with. Aside from very rarely found items off of foes.

What is YOUR cluster of illusions? (Or what is your most recent one.)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 29th October 2014, 07:00

Re: Clusters of Illusions

adders like to not get hit and instead bite you twice for lethal poison damage
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th October 2014, 10:46

I'm convinced that the failure percentages on the spell screen are much smaller than the real values. I tend to miscast the spells with ~1% failure rate 3 times in a row (altough only when I'm in danger).

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 29th October 2014, 11:23

Bloax wrote:adders like to not get hit and instead bite you twice for lethal poison damage

They also get a hidden bonus to MR
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th October 2014, 11:34

Whenever you play ogres or trolls, artifact armour, helmets and gloves are all over the place.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th October 2014, 16:45

when you play a Dr for the first time in months, there will be a CPA on D:1. every fukken time.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th October 2014, 16:50

It is not clustering illusion, we have less potions/scrolls early game :(

http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=co ... 2e5214d6a0

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th October 2014, 17:59

yeah, but no Item destruction.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th October 2014, 18:05

Hirsch I wrote:yeah, but no Item destruction.

That's why I mentioned early game. There is almost no item destruction before Lair and in Lair. I had several characters who found a single scroll of teleportation before/in Lair. I even started using ID on scrolls.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 00:19

Sandman25 wrote:It is not clustering illusion, we have less potions/scrolls early game :(

http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=co ... 2e5214d6a0

Yuck at that change but Sandman you missed the point I think of this thread. :p It is not about posting stuff you have PROOF exists. :p Hold on, I'll get back to you. Damned unicorns broke out again...

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 02:37

I'm pretty sure that every time I play a naga, there's not a single barding in the whole game. Snake Pit is also a myth.

I rarely play nagas though

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 07:23

Mulzaro wrote:I'm pretty sure that every time I play a naga, there's not a single barding in the whole game. Snake Pit is also a myth.

I rarely play nagas though

It's only a part of the truth. Every time I play a naga, there is a centaur barding before the Lair. Every time I play a centaur, there is a naga barding before the Lair. Never the other way around.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 12:17

Those damn electric eels seem to show up earlier and earlier (and in larger numbers.)

Not sure if this is the clustering illusion or real - since most other types of fish/water creatures were removed, does this mean that any monster that spawns in water is guaranteed to be an electric eel so there really are more of them?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 12:41

Jeremiah wrote:Those damn electric eels seem to show up earlier and earlier (and in larger numbers.)

Not sure if this is the clustering illusion or real - since most other types of fish/water creatures were removed, does this mean that any monster that spawns in water is guaranteed to be an electric eel so there really are more of them?
No, the removed water monster weights were replaced with MON_NO_MONSTER. (i.e. the chance of a removed monster being spawned was replaced with a chance of no monster being spawned).
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks:
Jeremiah

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 1st November 2014, 17:47

Whenever a monster casts OOD at me, it goes nice and straight down a long corridor to hit me, but when I cast it in a corridor it hits the walls after a few tiles.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner