I think I just found V:$ in the Abyss.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 23rd October 2014, 21:20

I think I just found V:$ in the Abyss.

So, I was doing Vaults 5 with a Hill Orc Fighter of Makhleb, when all of a sudden a Hell Knight managed to banish me through 4 pips of MR. Out of spite I decide to go for the rune, so I start walking around and taking stairs deeper into the abyss.

A short while after reaching Abyss:3, I find this:

abyss vaults.jpg
abyss vaults.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

If this isn't a V:5 vault, I don't know what it is.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 23rd October 2014, 22:31

Re: I think I just found V:$ in the Abyss.

I think brendan hickey made a change a while back to attempt to make the Abyss look like whence you were banished. This could be that, working really well.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th October 2014, 00:01

I think the Abyss can generate versions of other levels and layouts in the dungeon.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 24th October 2014, 00:07

Moose wrote:I think brendan hickey made a change a while back to attempt to make the Abyss look like whence you were banished. This could be that, working really well.

If that's the case, it worked REALLY well, because I actually felt like I was seeing the Vaults from the abyss. I got teleported away soon after posting that image, but vaults like that one appeared at least two more times. A shame there was no rune (or anything else) in them, but they certainly gave the game a LOT of atmosphere (the rune appeared in an entirely unrelated location surrounded by raijus and lightning spires).

The thing is, this "effect" only kicked in in Abyss 3. Another cool thing I saw in this abyss trip were reeeeeaaaally long (2-4 screens long!) "abyssal corridors", some 5 or 6 tiles wide. A couple of times.

The Abyss rocks my socks. Now I'm wondering if Abyss 5 would have looked like corrupted Vaults extending forever in every direction. I really like when you find these large-scale structures in the Abyss.

By the way: The banishment source was actually a demon trident of distortion the hell knight was wielding (saw it on the corpse)

nicolae wrote:I think the Abyss can generate versions of other levels and layouts in the dungeon.

It's awesome when the Abyss throws weird shit at you. Or when it generates lakes with trees and everything, complete with walkways like in the early dungeon. But then it has monsters that mutate you permanently :<
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner