New Species: Homarids

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 16:08

New Species: Homarids

After playing a few felids and octopodes I liked there limited gear, but found that they both played similarly(Good stabbers or casters but frail with little armor making melee limited). I thought it would be nice to have a very limited gear species more apt to mixing it up in melee. My thought eventually fell to Homarids, a sort of lobster man from MTG.

Spoiler: show

This lead me to the thought that all species in crawl are primarily reactive to what they find on the floor, so what if there was a single species more determinant by your choice. Homarids would have no gear slots except amulets. Despite not having the slots for it they could train both shields and armor, these stats would naturally increase as your skill level grows.

Because Homarids would have little source of resists they would gain resisted based on the magic schools they train. Ice, Fire, and necromancy would give rC,rF, and rN. Hexes and charms give MR. Air and poison would give rElec and rP. Homarids could train all magic schools at all times.

You could also train weapon schools. All would increase damage and give you the benefit of that weapon school. Axes give a % chance to cleave, polearms to reach. Short blades boost stab damage. Maces and sword give more damage.

So, totally crazy idea?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 16:50

Re: New Species: Homarids

It's an interesting and different idea, but it's so different that might be a problem. I don't know, they sound kinda cool to me.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 17:37

This is an interesting idea, and aspects appeal to me even though I think that loot makes the game more interesting overall. I appreciate that it's different and provides distinct gameplay.

In terms of mechanics, I'd probably set up resistances such that you make two checks against the skill level to determine how likely you are to resist, maybe something like skill_level/27 and (skill_level - 10) / 27, and each check you pass gives you one pip of resistance. Maybe that's unnecessarily complex, and the species can only have one level of resistance natively.

I don't think it's a good idea to allow the species to train a bunch of different melee skills, and certainly not multiple skills to the same purpose. I'd be more inclined to say that the species can wield weapons, or that they can only train UC.

I'm not sure why the species would be able to use amulets, and if they're going to have that level of equipment restriction, I'd sooner see them not be able to wear any jewellery at all.

Edit: I'm not really sure this works overall, but it's interesting to think about.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 17:58

I actually had a similar idea a while back...ok actually it was really different upon recollection (save the name :p ) but it had a similar take on melee skills.

One of the things I did was that they have a thick shell that they smash armour onto to reinforce it- You can destroy any piece of armour to get its resistance(s), but doing it to a new one removes the previous resistance- essentially, preventing swapping.

Instead of the weapon skill thing, what if they were straight UC at first, and then at levels 9, 18, and 27 they got to pick an "evolution." Maybe the first round could be the weapon types or getting an aux "extra arms" attack, second round could be a resistance, third round could be branded unarmed?
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 19:30

Can we call them lobstrosities instead?

...Dad-a-chuck? *snip snip*

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 19:30

Dwobsters.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 20:40

The problem with this proposal is that it takes away from the game-to-game variability of floor drops to serve... not really any purpose but adding a mechanic that hasn't previously been done. Why would I want to play a character that I knew exactly how to skill from d:1 (or, at least, from the moment I found an altar)? Wouldn't that just make the rest of the game more boring?

I think I would enjoy playing a race that made skilling decisions more interesting/meaningful than is normal in Crawl. But the proposal as it stands needs a way to make the race more variable.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner