Replace thanks with laughs

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 01:44

Replace thanks with laughs

so it's clear that people miss the opportunity to express their appreciation of a good joke. I'm afraid this “thanks” “thanks me too” running gag won't end soon. Plus, what about the people who want to thank, but hold back from spamming “lol thanks” messages? They skew others away from reading legitimately funny posts, out of politeness. One of the reasons thanks are getting throttled is they're ambiguous. Well that's because gratitude is ambiguous, no matter whether it's applied to an OP or to a reply. So let's disambiguate thanks: they are funny-thanks. Solemn thanks, if necessary, can be expressed in actual messages, which they often are anyway, even with the thank feature.

Another advantage of laughs is that people can use them to express their opinion about a proposal. Too often on GDD people mutter some banal design cliche or declare their lack of conviction and call it a day. It's a cheap way to seep credibility from an idea, because it doesn't add anything of value but it does invoke a level of apparent sophistication that a mere laugh doesn't. In other words, it creates the illusion that a counter-argument has been made. Laughs would not prevent people from making such pointless posts, but it would give them an alternative outlet which, if used, creates a more accurate impression of the situation. If the ability to revert a thank is carried over to laughs, you could meaningfully change your position by unlaughing, which is as good as a thank. All of the above also applies to bad advice and its shunning.

Laughs also mitigate the sense of mob mentality by taking the bite out of potentially offensive posts, since people can't “agree” with them by thanking.

so let's :lol:

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 01:53

Re: Replace thanks with laughs

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:so it's clear that people miss the opportunity to express their appreciation of a good joke. I'm afraid this “thanks” “thanks me too” running gag won't end soon. Plus, what about the people who want to thank, but hold back from spamming “lol thanks” messages? They skew others away from reading legitimately funny posts, out of politeness. One of the reasons thanks are getting throttled is they're ambiguous. Well that's because gratitude is ambiguous, no matter whether it's applied to an OP or to a reply. So let's disambiguate thanks: they are funny-thanks. Solemn thanks, if necessary, can be expressed in actual messages, which they often are anyway, even with the thank feature.

Another advantage of laughs is that people can use them to express their opinion about a proposal. Too often on GDD people mutter some banal design cliche or declare their lack of conviction and call it a day. It's a cheap way to seep credibility from an idea, because it doesn't add anything of value but it does invoke a level of apparent sophistication that a mere laugh doesn't. In other words, it creates the illusion that a counter-argument has been made. Laughs would not prevent people from making such pointless posts, but it would give them an alternative outlet which, if used, creates a more accurate impression of the situation. If the ability to revert a thank is carried over to laughs, you could meaningfully change your position by unlaughing, which is as good as a thank. All of the above also applies to bad advice and its shunning.

Laughs also mitigate the sense of mob mentality by taking the bite out of potentially offensive posts, since people can't “agree” with them by thanking.

so let's :lol:

lolthanks

In all seriousness, I just want thanks back.

stupid tavern always stupid remove...

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 01:59

people will laugh at serious proposals and advices they don't like, leading to more drama

would be funny

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 02:23

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:so it's clear that people miss the opportunity to express their appreciation of a good joke. I'm afraid this “thanks” “thanks me too” running gag won't end soon. Plus, what about the people who want to thank, but hold back from spamming “lol thanks” messages? They skew others away from reading legitimately funny posts, out of politeness. One of the reasons thanks are getting throttled is they're ambiguous. Well that's because gratitude is ambiguous, no matter whether it's applied to an OP or to a reply. So let's disambiguate thanks: they are funny-thanks. Solemn thanks, if necessary, can be expressed in actual messages, which they often are anyway, even with the thank feature.

Sar wrote:people will laugh at serious proposals and advices they don't like, leading to more drama

would be funny
So...exactly like the thanks feature then?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 02:30

THANK if you agree
LAUGH if you disagree

Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 04:04

its too bad thanks can't be brought back to just cyc, all the cliqueishness and groupthink stuff that weirdos on this forum obsess about will still exist as emptyquotes and no-content posts

e: fuck didnt notice I was making same point as OP
Last edited by scorpionwarrior on Sunday, 6th March 2016, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 04:06

pubby wrote:THANK if you agree
LAUGH if you disagree

hahaha, that's just what we men want people to think about our day.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 04:09

yeh a real portrayal of a typical mans day would alternate angry and horny emojis
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner