J.R.R. Tolkien

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 08:08

J.R.R. Tolkien

{Mod note: Split this discussion off from a thread in GDD. — a_i}

XuaXua wrote:Rename it, "developers", and then get rid of rings of invisibility like you did rings of regeneration. Tolkien be-damned.

Tolkien can burn in hell together with most of his books for all I care, but please let me have my invisibility rings.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 08:42

Re: Rename cloak of darkness to cloak of invisibility

Psiweapon wrote:Tolkien can burn in hell together with most of his books for all I care

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 5
damiac, duvessa, Psiweapon, rockygargoyle, TeshiAlair

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 09:13

Hey, this is GDD, at least have the decency of using spoiler tags, I can smell the hammer from here ;)
Spoiler: show
I tried reading the lord of the rings like five times, every time tom bombadil appeared I just wished for a flamethrower and some way of porting inside the book to burn him, his house, his forest, and the rest of the cast into cinders. And then I dumped the book.

Also, the songs. WHY THE FUCK DO YOU WRITE SONGS IN A BOOK. HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO SING THEM (not that I want to). I CAN'T EVEN. MUSICALS ARE BAD ENOUGH CAN I PLEASE HAVE MY BOOKS WITHOUT SILENT SONGS WRITTEN IN THEM? CAN I? CAN I? PRETTY PLEASE WITH CHERRY ON TOP?

OVERRATED AS FUCK

Fuck, have couple more of fucks for good measure.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 13:12

Psiweapon wrote:Hey, this is GDD, at least have the decency of using spoiler tags, I can smell the hammer from here ;)
I tried reading the lord of the rings like five times, every time tom bombadil appeared I just wished for a flamethrower and some way of porting inside the book to burn him, his house, his forest, and the rest of the cast into cinders. And then I dumped the book.

Also, the songs. WHY THE FUCK DO YOU WRITE SONGS IN A BOOK. HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO SING THEM (not that I want to). I CAN'T EVEN. MUSICALS ARE BAD ENOUGH CAN I PLEASE HAVE MY BOOKS WITHOUT SILENT SONGS WRITTEN IN THEM? CAN I? CAN I? PRETTY PLEASE WITH CHERRY ON TOP?

OVERRATED AS FUCK

It's an acceptable read if you skip the songs and the Tom Bombadil part.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 13:53

Psiweapon wrote:Hey, this is GDD, at least have the decency of using spoiler tags, I can smell the hammer from here ;)

OVERRATED AS FUCK

No-one likes Tom Bombadil.
One good thing Peter Jackson did was cut that fucker.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 16:58

khalil wrote:One good thing Peter Jackson did was cut that fucker.

No because he only cut him from the film; he should have cut him onscreen.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 18:40

Psiweapon wrote:I tried reading the lord of the rings like five times

It's a while ago when I read The Lord of the Rings for the first time - and it was more work than fun. I remember only a few pages were really exciting. After I did the "work" to read it for the first time I read it hundreds of times.

But that was me - it might be totally different with you. If you don't like the book you're right when you read something else.

Psiweapon wrote:Also, the songs. WHY THE F[...] DO YOU WRITE SONGS IN A BOOK.

I remember I really disliked the songs and usually skipped them. But I read the book in German - and translations have their own problems, especially when you need to translate rhymes. After I had a look at the English version I really liked some of the songs.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 20:09

Re: J.R.R. Tolkien

Psiweapon wrote:{Mod note: Split this discussion off from a thread in GDD. — a_i}

XuaXua wrote:Rename it, "developers", and then get rid of rings of invisibility like you did rings of regeneration. Tolkien be-damned.

Tolkien can burn in hell together with most of his books for all I care, but please let me have my invisibility rings.

Rings of Invisibility aren't even from Tolkien: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges

Then again I guess you could say "dwarves aren't even from Tolkien" but he obviously his dwarves came to dominate the trope.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 20:34

That asshole bastardized the spelling of 'Dwarfs'!
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 21:45

I think you mean "Dwarphs"
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 22:09

Modern English has two plurals for the word dwarf; dwarfs and dwarves. Dwarfs remains the most commonly employed plural. While recorded as early as 1818, the minority plural dwarves was popularized by the fiction of philologist and author J. R. R. Tolkien, originating as a mistake (hypercorrection) and employed by Tolkien since some time before 1917 (for Tolkien's beings, see Dwarf (Middle-earth)). Regarding the plural, Tolkien wrote in 1937 that "I am afraid it is just a piece of private bad grammar, rather shocking in a philologist; but I shall have to go with it".
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:13

they prefer being called little people.
anyway, I like tom bombadil
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Hopeless

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:19

khalil wrote:

OVERRATED AS FUCK

No-one likes Tom Bombadil.
One good thing Peter Jackson did was cut that fucker.

Funny, I didn't realize my name was changed to No-one. :(

I've been reading and enjoying Tolkien since the early 70s. (My Dad read the Hobbit and Fellowship to us when we were but tiny children.) Otoh since I can't stand Jackson and his movies, perhaps the saying "To each their own" applies? I will say it always irked me that there was no sheet music for the songs somewhere. But then again if you didn't like poetry in the middle of a story imagine how annoying it would be to turn the page and be confronted with squiggles and dots on lines all down the page. *.*

As for Tom Bombadil, he is one of my favorite characters as he represents a good many an old folk tale rolled up into one weird guy. Imho if you have such loathing for a fictional character that says something about you. What that is I don't know. But I have noticed a certain trend among certain people to show disdain for what is popular. Punk music was all about that until people started showing disdain for it.

For this message the author Hopeless has received thanks: 2
Hirsch I, Sar

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:58

I'm so happy to be in a thread where this is actually on-topic:

http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 4
and into, Hopeless, Psiweapon, Yermak

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 00:46

njvack wrote:I'm so happy to be in a thread where this is actually on-topic:

http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html

That. Was. Frickin'. Awesome. Punctuated. For. Emphasis.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 08:55

I remember thinking that Bombadill was one of the Valar, but I dont remember what made me think so.
this was after I read the Silmarillion for the first time, 6 years ago. my knowlege is a little rusty.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 11:30

There was speculation that Bombadil was a form of Illuvatar, the creator of the universe but I think Tolkien specifically denied this.

It's also been suggested that he is a representation of Tolkien himself as he exists outside of all the concerns of the people of Middle Earth, and was there since before time began etc..

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 11:30

There was speculation that Bombadil was a form of Illuvatar, the creator of the universe but I think Tolkien specifically denied this.

It's also been suggested that he is a representation of Tolkien himself as he exists outside of all the concerns of the people of Middle Earth, and was there since before time began etc..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 12:23

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 12th October 2014, 00:52

Nerd rage aside I really enjoyed that post Njvack. The commentators seem to pick just the right holes in the theory to totally debunk it, but it was still very funny and entertaining. Those who take Tolkien too seriously to enjoy such, risk losing perspective. IMHO, Tom Bombadil is a wonderful melange of various folk tales and myths and fits Tolkien's quirky sense of humor and style. If he turns out by some apocryphal document revealed later on by the Tolkien estate to be a Maiar or even a lesser Valar I won't be surprised. He wasn't anything so mundane as a dark lord kept in check but the theory is funny and fits with a more modern (movie oriented maybe) take on faerie tales.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 12th October 2014, 08:46

Tolkien himself said about Tom Bombadil:

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally).

People who are interested in this discussion might have a look here.

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks:
Hopeless

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 12th October 2014, 18:13

Re:

Turukano wrote:Tolkien himself said about Tom Bombadil:

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally).

People who are interested in this discussion might have a look here.

Interesting, thanks for posting. :D

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner