Milestone spam in ##crawl

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 15:55

Milestone spam in ##crawl

It can be very difficult to follow conversations in ##crawl due to the progress updates generated by bots from every server. Putting the bots on ignore is not a solution as they provide useful data when queried (learndb, monster stats, statistics, logs).

At this point in the game's lifespan it's not really remarkable when a particular player manages to kill Sigmund or Nikola or enters a rune branch or whatever -- especially with the volume of players playing online. During off hours it's manageable, but peak hours ##crawl is a constantly-scrolling wall of announcements.

I propose bots no longer announce:
-branch entrances
-last floor of a branch
-killing uniques
-following/abandoning/mollifying a god
-portal entrances
-whatever else I've forgotten.

Keep announcements for:
-obtaining runes
-victories
-deaths

For this message the author Brannock has received thanks: 4
all before, Laraso, moocowmoocow, rockygargoyle

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 16:08

Re: Milestone spam in ##crawl

Another thing I think that definitely should stay are ghost deaths/banishments/etc., since those are the ones I often most want to actually see (i.e. announcements that my ghost died). But definitely announcements on god join and branch entries/end are basically pointless (kinda not sure about uniques, especially since the list of ones that make an announcement can always be shortened).

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 17:32

I like the announcements. Our AWBW group has a bot in our IRC channel that repeats the ##crawl announcements for only our members, and it's really nice for seeing how people are doing. I agree that it's bad on such a large scale of people as tracked in ##crawl, but I'd be sad to see the announcements further reduced.

As an alternate solution I propose that the bots that repeat milestones are made exclusive with queryable bots; e.g: cheibriados and Sequell are used for all queries, henzell/gretell/lantell etc. are only used for milestones for their respective servers. That way you can ignore milestone bots you aren't interested in without having to worry about being unable to query. I have no idea how difficult/feasible this would be, but it seems like the better solution to me.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Moose

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 17:35

WalkerBoh wrote:As an alternate solution I propose that the bots that repeat milestones are made exclusive with queryable bots; e.g: cheibriados and Sequell are used for all queries, henzell/gretell/lantell etc. are only used for milestones for their respective servers. That way you can ignore milestone bots you aren't interested in without having to worry about being unable to query.
This is already true.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 18:35

duvessa wrote:
WalkerBoh wrote:As an alternate solution I propose that the bots that repeat milestones are made exclusive with queryable bots; e.g: cheibriados and Sequell are used for all queries, henzell/gretell/lantell etc. are only used for milestones for their respective servers. That way you can ignore milestone bots you aren't interested in without having to worry about being unable to query.
This is already true.

Not in all instances, for example I remember I was unable to get !whereis to work, until someone pointed out that I had the bots put on my ignore list.

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks:
duvessa

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 19:21

duvessa wrote:
This is already true.

I thought it might be, but wasn't sure. I ignore everything but henzell Sequell and cheibriados and that works fine for me, but I don't spend much time in ##crawl.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th September 2014, 18:17

Ignoring the bots is a solution, but one that isn't entirely successful because not everyone will be ignoring the milestone bots, and the overwhelming excess of milestone announcements means that people are disinclined to participate in ##crawl.

wheals, I forgot about ghost kills. That should be kept, I agree. I'd just like to see milestones actually be milestones. With how many players play this game online now, I don't really care if some nobody from a server I never play on kills an easily defeated unique or enters Elf on their Berserker.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 26th September 2014, 20:02

I configured my IRC client (irssi) in a way that all the announcement bots report to a different window (link). In the ##crawl window I only see the actual chat and the output from Sequell and Cheibriados.

I'm sure other clients allow similar configurations to separate the bots from the chat without having to ignore them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th September 2014, 20:12

Unfortunately not pidgin afaict.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 21:28

I for one, really enjoy the milestone announcements, even for branch entry and such. Would be sad to see them quieter. I'd be just as happy having them in a different channel if that would make folks happier, like ##crawl-milestones oslt.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner