Proposal: Conflict Deity Concept (non-Yiuf thread)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 21:08

Proposal: Conflict Deity Concept (non-Yiuf thread)

ragnarokchu's post about spawning altars got me thinking about a new god concept, but it is certainly not fleshed out enough to propose to GDD, so I'm putting it here asking for some help to make it work, hoping that posters will keep the chatter to sane levels.

The intent is to try to create a deity concept that changes gameplay in a way that other deities have not yet.

The broad concept of the god would be
1) ability to place 1 altar, one time, on every floor (including portals), unless there is already an altar.

2) protection emanating from altar with piety-based range (creating a per-level aura of protection / base of operations)

3) deity-specific enemy creatures spawn occasionally on the periphery, and the player must deal with them to gain piety.

This would allow a one-time-per-floor, Fedhas-like base with increasing range, but constant enemy troop enhancement.

I'm not sure what sort of protection the altar (and surrounding "bubble") would provide, but it should be universally applicable, possibly increasing with proximity (or maybe not to reduce kiting tactics?)

I'm not sure about the power and volume of the spawning deity-specific enemies (though their danger level should increase with increased piety).
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 22:27

Re: Proposal: Conflict Deity Concept (non-Yiuf thread)

It seems like a mix of Zin and Fedhas. I am a little unclear as to how exactly you imagine this god functioning, but if what I think your'e getting at, it's basically just a god that spawns an oklob farm on command (which fedhas kinda does anyway). I think I like this idea because I like Fedhas, lol.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th October 2014, 19:57

An Oklob farm is more of an independent tower defence/ranged attack thing.

The defensive field in this case would be an area where skills, attributes, and abilities are enhanced for the worshiper and their allies, and either NOTHING would happen to the enemies, or they would be otherwise hindered as well (taking damage (physical, mental, or restrictive)) or being penalized while in the field.

Conceptually, it might instead work more as as a movement/terrain-restricted Okawaru or Ashenzari, but would apply to allies as well, which might be an enhancement to those who play Summoners.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Barkeep

Post Monday, 13th October 2014, 21:43

Somewhat similar idea from a ways back:

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12148&p=170446

(Unfortunately I haven't seen File200 around lately.)

In terms of constant enemy encroachment, playing Qazlal is already a lot like that, actually. I'd also assume that these creatures that spawn at the altar would not give experience (just piety) otherwise it raises problems in terms of scumming. I think you'd need some other cost to keep you from always creating an altar, on every floor. Limited number of fruit means that you don't oklob farm all the time, and piety cost of corrupt keeps you from using it on every floor. Really I would just dispense with the whole "spawn enemies at edge of LOS that you have to kill for piety."

On the other hand I would like to see more "once-per-floor" god abilities, as I don't think Lugonu's corrupt exhausts the possibilities.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 13th October 2014, 21:49

and_into: as it happens, I asked them (they were two working on the defensive god) just a few days ago, and the project is dead. Perhaps something can be salvaged... quite a blow.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
and into

Barkeep

Post Monday, 13th October 2014, 23:36

(^Thanked for the update, not for the content of the news.)

That's a shame, some interesting ideas there.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 16:11

and into wrote:I'd also assume that these creatures that spawn at the altar would not give experience (just piety) otherwise it raises problems in terms of scumming.

They'd appear anywhere, but at full range; on the periphery of line-of-sight. They would only give piety.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner