Good finds on D:1

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 22:50

Good finds on D:1

Surprisingly, sometimes there is good stuff even on level 1.

2 rings of slaying, +2 +4 and +3 +3.
Mangled by Mennas

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 23:23

Re: Good finds on D:1

Nice! Tell us how you die horribly on D:2 then ;)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 23:40

Of course. The irony. On level 7.
Got too cocky with some orc priests :)
If I hadn't found those rings, I would have been more careful in the first place.
Mangled by Mennas

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 03:21

Found my second D:1 GDA today. First time it was a SpEn, this time it's an OgBe though so that's kind of awesome.
oh but who are they to judge us

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 03:33

Xom roars with laughter!
Mangled by Mennas

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 04:52

I just found a spear of dragon slaying on D:1 (HEWz). Now if only I could find a dragon on D:1!

For this message the author danr has received thanks: 2
pratamawirya, yandayixia

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 12:31

Not on D:1, but pretty close.

I just found the Singing Sword in a bat vault (?) on D:3... I'm playing a DDNe so it's not super useful (since then I've also found a really powerful randart... quarterstaff :roll:), but I have to admit the singing is hilarious enough that I'm using it from time to time just to funnel monsters into tunnels en masse.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 16:07

Recent finds on D:1 for various characters (well as a newbie I think they are pretty good finds :) )

Ring of Slaying (0, +6)
Ring of Regeneration
a few weapons of venom.
a Dagger of Electrocution to go with that ring of slaying on a Mountain Dwarf Assassin

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 31st December 2010, 05:16

back before the AC nerf i had a MDFi that found a +2 dwarven plate on DL1. i don't remember dying too quickly, actually. i think that was the first time i breached Lair. of course, i was cocky as all getout and decided to lean on the direc tional keys against a whole herd of yak. yeah, it was dumb.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 01:33

Just rolled an Air elementalist. Found the book of clouds as soon as I took the stairs to D2. That's pretty convenient- provided I live long enough to use it!

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 13:56

thomkal wrote: Mountain Dwarf Assassin

I do not have room for a stealthy, creeping Mountain Dwarf in my brain.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 20:27

Sometimes wrote:

What? They half as tall as most other race, therefore double as easy to hide :D

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 20:42

Curio wrote:
Sometimes wrote:

What? They half as tall as most other race, therefore double as easy to hide :D

Plus with all that hair the other creatures in the dungeon assume they are some kind of a monster themselves. It's really quite brilliant, when you think about it.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 12:53

Sometimes wrote:

yeah hard to wrap my mind around it too, but it was a random "roll of the dice" when I created the character and so far he's been a lot of fun. :)

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 21:32

Just started a Demigod Gladiator, and a few steps from the entrance room, behind a hobgoblin that got quickly captured in one of my nets and disposed of was this thing I had never seen before-newbie here remember. It was blue and it looked like it was some kind of monster like a newt with four arms. Well imagine my surprise when it turned out to be +0 Ice dragon armor. :D

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 21:41

thomkal wrote:Just started a Demigod Gladiator, and a few steps from the entrance room, behind a hobgoblin that got quickly captured in one of my nets and disposed of was this thing I had never seen before-newbie here remember. It was blue and it looked like it was some kind of monster like a newt with four arms. Well imagine my surprise when it turned out to be +0 Ice dragon armor. :D

Yeah, I've found mottled dragon armour on D1 before. Not quite as good, but still cool.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 21:50

thomkal wrote:Just started a Demigod Gladiator, and a few steps from the entrance room, behind a hobgoblin that got quickly captured in one of my nets and disposed of was this thing I had never seen before-newbie here remember. It was blue and it looked like it was some kind of monster like a newt with four arms. Well imagine my surprise when it turned out to be +0 Ice dragon armor. :D

Well this might be one of the best "the RNG Giveth and Taketh away" moments ever. On that same level, cruising through most foes with ease, walking through an empty room, when four or five gnolls pop out of one of the room exits. I'm in the middle of the room, didn't know what any of my potions or scrolls were yet, so tried to escape to the closest exit. Took one step...and one of them threw a net, yes that net I was just praising in my previous post and caught me up in it. They quickly made their way to me and preceded to show me that ice dragon armor on level 1 wasn't such a nice find at all. :cry:

Was that some kind of special encounter with the gnolls? I've never seen something like that happen before. Is there a command to break out of a net?

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 22:09

thomkal wrote:

Well this might be one of the best "the RNG Giveth and Taketh away" moments ever. On that same level, cruising through most foes with ease, walking through an empty room, when four or five gnolls pop out of one of the room exits. I'm in the middle of the room, didn't know what any of my potions or scrolls were yet, so tried to escape to the closest exit. Took one step...and one of them threw a net, yes that net I was just praising in my previous post and caught me up in it. They quickly made their way to me and preceded to show me that ice dragon armor on level 1 wasn't such a nice find at all. :cry:

Was that some kind of special encounter with the gnolls? I've never seen something like that happen before. Is there a command to break out of a net?

I believe you just press any direction button to break free.
Mangled by Mennas

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 02:58

It may take a few turns though. I think you can still zap wands and cast spells from a net too.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 00:54

Before the AC nerf, I had a DDHe find crystal plate mail on D:1 (and my plans to play him as a hybrid flew right out the window then and there). He went on to win.
Just a well-spoken spambot.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 02:24

Not D1, but D2: Ring of Slaying +2, +6 with a Felid Crusader. Too bad he was killed by a wight a couple levels later when I decided to press on instead of resting off a Berserker Rage.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 11:23

Fine fine, it's D:4, not D:1 but god damn! I'm only sad it's on my Deep Elf Conjurer.

+9/+2 hand axe "Beetleslayer" +speed, Dex+1

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 14:20

How about worst finds? Such as a cursed -3/-6 Ring of Slaying? It was the first item I found too, like a few tiles away from the start. It's proof that Crawl hates you and your stupid new character.
Polyphemus throws a large rock.
Your +3 buckler of reflection reflects the large rock!
The large rock hits Polyphemus.
You kill Polyphemus!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 19:33

Descended with a DDEE to D:2 and saw an altar of Nemelex with a legendary deck on it. At the same time I got surrounded by at least half a dozen monsters. Decided not go back down and run for the deck to test my luck. It turned out to be a Legendary Deck of Changes.

First card was Experience. Got 20,000 points in my experience pool. Currently at D:8 and still some 6,000 left to spend.
Second card was Bargain (20% off in all stores for its duration) and
the 3rd card was Water, drowning most of the enemies instantaneously.
Mangled by Mennas

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 20:26

starless wrote:Decided not go back down and run for the deck to test my luck. It turned out to be a Legendary Deck of Changes.

Well Nemelex is all about believing in the heart of the cards and all that Yu-Gi-Oh nonsense, so it's no surprise. You risked - you won.

Also, add to my finds a +4 plate mail on D:2

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 20:40

Nemelex is my favorite God and possibly the most powerful one in the game.
But I am not sure if it's a viable choice for a Deep Dwarf, not specializing in Necromancy. You will have to rely on Elixir cards for the most part.
Mangled by Mennas

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 21:21

Nemelex doesn't gift decks with Elixir in them, so that probably wouldn't work.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 21:26

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:Nemelex doesn't gift decks with Elixir in them, so that probably wouldn't work.

I meant "the Potion" - was that the name of the card? Haven't played Nemelex in 0.8 though.
Mangled by Mennas

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 22:46

Elixir fully heals you. Potion gives you a random potion effect, similar to drinking from a sparkling fountain iirc.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 12:20

I started a Spriggan Berserker right now. As they're proficient with short blades, I turned of Axes and started to look for the first dagger to wield.
So far I accumulated 10 (ten) points of experience, not even advanced to XL2, when I found ...

A sabre of speed.

About the best short blade one can get (the damage output outweighs a non-branded Qblade, in my experience).

This game is going to be either very short, or ... No, I'm not provoking the RNG.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 12:46

I guess, good luck. Don't berserk too much; you're an herbivore, and food is scarce for a Spriggan.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 12:58

szanth wrote:I guess, good luck. Don't berserk too much; you're an herbivore, and food is scarce for a Spriggan.

In fact, with the EV you barely need to zerk in mid- and late game at all. Perhaps against some uniques, but Brothers in Arms are much safer to use there.

And to add to the good "finds" - Trog granted me a +1,+9 Qblade on D:6, so now I can't decide between a great weapon and a better one :).
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 13:00

Well if you can vorpalize that quickblade, it might outpower the sabre.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 21:51

D:2 again (Guess that's my lucky level) found this:

+4 +0 great sword Yjuoli {venom, +Rage, rPois, rN+, Dex+3, Stlth+}...with my transmuter. Shit.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 21:55

At least on D:2 you haven't invested a lot of XP in transmuting. That weapon is worth three character backgrounds all by itself.

Heck, you basically just became a spellcasting berserker without Trogs magic handicap!

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 22:18

Yup. Kinda sucks that same character got ripped to shreds by an ogre on the very next level, who jumped from a corner and took me out in one hit. ;/

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 22:26

It's been a long time since I've found anything good on D:1 (or anywhere before D:10 it feels like). I'd like to say I'm due but I understand probability too well to say something silly like that.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 14:06

minmay wrote:I was about to start a naga character, but decided to choose demonspawn instead at the last minute. Second item I see: naga barding.

The best way to generate barding is not to play a centaur or naga.

If you play a centaur, you won't kill Nessos. He either won't be generated, or he will two-shot you.

Back on topic, I once found a gold dragon hide on D:1. With a spriggan.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 20:07

Not an item, but still a good find. My DeWi found an altar of Vehumet on D:1. Let's hope I stay alive for long enough to reap the benefits!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 07:59

Jenx wrote:Not an item, but still a good find. My DeWi found an altar of Vehumet on D:1. Let's hope I stay alive for long enough to reap the benefits!

If you're resting to full MP after each combat, you're bound to receive his first gift approximately by the end of Lair, by Hive at the latest.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 17th January 2011, 04:55

Not exactly -good-, but ridiculous nonetheless. On D1 with a VpEn, killed a kobold that was whacking me with a whip of draining, then in the same room, shortly thereafter, killed a kobold that was whacking me with a mace of draining. >_>

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 04:27

An altar of Okawaru and a runed dwarven handaxe for my MDFi. This game will go well (he says, tempting the Fates).

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 19:53

Not D:1, but so awesome I had to bring it up.

I just bought the sword of the jihad from a shop for $199 on D:4. And I found a randart amulet of clarity on the same floor- so it's perfectly safe too use. :shock:

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 21:17

Just for the curious, this is the Sword of Jihad:
Henzell wrote:+12,+10 long sword of holy wrath, berserkitis, rN+, MR, EV+3, and stealth-. Before being identified, it will appear as a crystal sword. Upgraded to a eudemon blade in 0.8 trunk.

For this message the author danr has received thanks:
shiweera

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 24th January 2011, 06:17

I'm also joining the GDA club, I found one on D:1 on a HOPr. And Hill Orcs are awesome with armour so I was ecstatic. Unfortunately GDA is super heavy so I trained up in other stuff first, and enchanted the GDA whenever possible. I got banished by Louise around midgame and I died... with a +6 GDA that I never got to wear in Zot. :(
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 22:16

+6 ring of strength on d:1 with a merfolk enchanter with a STR of 8 before the ring.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 16:55

a ring of wizardry on D:1 followed by a ring of magical power on D:2 for a human crusader.

Edit: Followed right after I posted this with a Sigmund appearance and a teleport scroll that brought me two steps away from him in a large room and death shortly thereafter. :(

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 19:26

My best find on D:1 ever was back in 0.5, and it was a randart. It was the +10 +9 Quick Blade of Cowardice (Speed, +rage, rElec, rPois)
I WAS going to play a Hill Orc Priest with axes before I found that. That artifact carried me through my first near win, when on Zot 5 I got surrounded by 2 Ancient Liches, and a TON of summons, and then got double Crystal Speared. I almost quit crawl when I lost that character. However, it was fun to hit about 8 times to anybody else's one attack, when I had haste on.

EDIT: I can't decide what was better, that artifact or the Sword of Jihad, with a MdFi. Some other nice finds I've had on D:1 included Storm dragon armor, Gold dragon armor, and the Sword of Power.
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner