Somewhat ''Revolutionary'' Ideas

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 16th October 2014, 23:54

Somewhat ''Revolutionary'' Ideas

Hi Ya'll,
I've been playing DCSS for a while now, though I am NOT good at it, I have never retrieved the Orb of Zot before... :(
But, I was thinking, that perhaps to make the game more friendly, to less hardcore players, perhaps at the character creation screen, there could be a difficulty selection: Easy, Normal, Hard- and maybe even a nightmare mode (though DCSS is hard enough as it is I think :P )
Also another idea I had was bigger tiles, and perhaps handsomer as well, like a cross from the ones from Battle for Wesnoth and ADOM, just a thought :mrgreen:

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 00:29

Re: Somewhat ''Revolutionary'' Ideas

any kind of explicit difficulty selection will never be implemented in the game I think
and in fact, your race and deity choice can already affect the difficulty of the game

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 00:41

Difficulty is allready implimented via races. Some races are easier than others, so if you want a easier game, chose a harder race.
No, we aren't going to tell you which races are easier than average. Why would we do that?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 03:25

khalil wrote:Difficulty is allready implimented via races. Some races are easier than others, so if you want a easier game, chose a harder race.
No, we aren't going to tell you which races are easier than average. Why would we do that?

The idea that crawl exists in a vacuum and that a player wouldn't at least glance at any one of the wiki, the tavern, the learndb, the IRC, the various webtiles communities, Something Awful, or Reddit, is absurd.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 04:34

Arrhythmia wrote:The idea that crawl exists in a vacuum and that a player wouldn't at least glance at any one of the wiki, the tavern, the learndb, the IRC, the various webtiles communities, Something Awful, or Reddit, is absurd.
but what if they dont want bad advice (or in the case of the last option, violent racism)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 04:37

duvessa wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:The idea that crawl exists in a vacuum and that a player wouldn't at least glance at any one of the wiki, the tavern, the learndb, the IRC, the various webtiles communities, Something Awful, or Reddit, is absurd.
but what if they dont want bad advice (or in the case of the last option, violent racism)

they should read a book
take it easy

Barkeep

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 05:59

The character selection screen already recommends species/background combos, and also the hints mode version of Crawl recommends 3 different very reasonable starts.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 06:57

I've heard that also Mummy Chaos Knight is very easy once you start getting good god gifts. Combined with mummies' resistances = powerhouse!

Hey, I just hope you didn't believe me.

I agree with previous posts - you do not need difficulty levels. You adjust it by selecting species/background. If the game still feels too hard to you with recommended characters, consider playing wizmode. The idea of crawl is to be challenging and not tab-friendly... even though you already can tab through the game with some combinations.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 08:51

Landsknetch wrote:I was thinking, that perhaps to make the game more friendly, to less hardcore players, perhaps at the character creation screen, there could be a difficulty selection: Easy, Normal, Hard- and maybe even a nightmare mode

I recently rolled nightmare mode, I took a felid. :-|

Which species/class/god chars did you play and why did you fail? If you post games in the YASD forum I think you'll get help.

And in case one idea of your topic was to ask for help here, some ideas for you:

• MiBe or Mi ^ Oka
  • Gr
  • DD ^ Makhleb
  • in case you like shooting: CeHu
CeHu is in fact the easiest combo I ever played, and this was even before ranged combat was rewritten. The only point with a shooter is that picking up ammunition is a bit annoying.

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks:
fisheye

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 08:59

felids are pretty strong!!!

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 09:09

// off topic

Sar wrote:felids are pretty strong!!!

Something went terrible wrong in my game. I cleared lair, mines, got the first rune in shoals, cleared the elven halls, most of the depths but failed in V:5.

In the hindsight the problems were: worshipping Sif, spending XP too broadly and not finding a ring of rPois for snake pits. When I went to V:5 I felt totally underpowered, a feeling I didn't even have with Dg (which are hard enough).

// off topic

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 09:25

Felids are hard to not quit.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 10:16

Dg (at least with a book background) are strong and easy too
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 13:08

Re:

Turukano wrote:// off topic

When I went to V:5 I felt totally underpowered
// off topic

What, no Scroll of Immolation and rF++?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner