Let's Play Crawl on youtube

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 19th August 2014, 05:18

Let's Play Crawl on youtube

Hi everybody,

I am still quite new to crawl and struggeling to work my way towards the late game. Therefore I have started a Let's Play series on youtube, in which Gordotaur, mighty Minotaur berserker of Trog, struggles for survival. Would be great if I could get a hint or two on how to further increase my performance!

Hope you enjoy the series :-)

Episode 1 (21:12 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmiE6BkZr0&list=UUMWW1k4ZUEB5Fu9EfjYMTUg&index=5

Episode 2 (29:09 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw_26vvTuEc&index=3&list=UUMWW1k4ZUEB5Fu9EfjYMTUg

Episode 3 (20:48 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvMqQbauERA&index=3&list=UUMWW1k4ZUEB5Fu9EfjYMTUg

Episode 4 (25:25 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe016fm2jZA&list=UUMWW1k4ZUEB5Fu9EfjYMTUg

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 08:46

Re: Let's Play Crawl on youtube

I have now uploaded another three episodes, finished Lair and Orcish Mines and from there on I am not exactly sure how to progress. I'd be very grateful for any good hints :-)

Episode 5 (25:25 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfidCZBunk&list=UUMWW1k4ZUEB5Fu9EfjYMTUg

Episode 6 (20:20 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKYmItYh8I&list=UUMWW1k4ZUEB5Fu9EfjYMTUg

Episode 7 (20:20 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iPHFr5hyF4&list=UUMWW1k4ZUEB5Fu9EfjYMTUg

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 21st October 2014, 15:06

you know there is something like 4 hours of videos in 17 videos, carrying information that you could just see on a morgue file anyway, right?
also, self promotion is rarely well received when someone creates an account just for that.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Greyr

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 21st October 2014, 15:15

Well, in my eyes it should be kind of obvious to anybody who read the toppic that this thread is addressed more or less exclusively to people interested in watching LPs. Also it's not a coincidence that I placed it in this sub-forum. So please forgive me if I don't really care if or if not anyone probably feels offended by those three postings that I made during the last three months.
Also if I really wanted to reach a bigger audience with my channel, I'd be smart enough to play something else but roguelikes. This thread has one main goal, which is to give those who like this kind of videos a chance to find them. If I get a hint or two in addition, that'd be great for me of course, but even if not, I enjoy playing the game anyway and I am quite happy that apparently I'm getting better.

For this message the author GordonOverkill has received thanks: 3
rockygargoyle, Sandman25, XuaXua

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st October 2014, 15:48

Howdy GordonOverkill, I've enjoyed some of your ADOM videos recently--they're full of helpful info. Anyway, I made a tutorial/short LP series a few months ago which focuses on what I believe are the most basic strategies needed to win a game of Crawl (The example game is a MiBe). It's in my forum signature if you want to check it out.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 21st October 2014, 16:09

Thanks, n1000! The first ten minutes were quite enjoyable, gonna take a closer look when I am back home tonight! I actually learned quite alot for Zoopy Joobles' Minotaur Berserker tutorial... actually in the beginning of my current series I just mimiced what he did in his tutorial... but I am still looking for more tipps. Never managed to get past the lair with anything other than Berserkers so far ;-)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st October 2014, 18:18

GordonOverkill wrote:Well, in my eyes it should be kind of obvious to anybody who read the toppic that this thread is addressed more or less exclusively to people interested in watching LPs. Also it's not a coincidence that I placed it in this sub-forum. So please forgive me if I don't really care if or if not anyone probably feels offended by those three postings that I made during the last three months.
A while ago we had this douche that made multiple accounts, like 5 different topics, and posted in unrelated topics to promote his videos. There's still some lingering hostility from that. But single topics for self-promotion, even from new accounts, seem to be accepted here (at least by the moderators) judging by past occurrences, so you should be fine if you don't make 5 different topics and spam unrelated ones.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 21st October 2014, 19:08

Thanks for the info, duvessa. I am positive that I won't make any trouble of that kind. I've just got this one nickname which I use on the boards of all the roguelikes that I play. And well, like I said, my channel is probably the most unprofessional channel at all on youtube, I don't play a single game which is popular to a bigger audience and I generally do not intend to let the whole thing get strenuous in any way ;-)

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 22nd October 2014, 02:03

Hey GordonOverkill, you seem alright. :P
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd October 2014, 04:33

you do seem alright. sorry if I looked hostile or anything, I'm as peaceful as a butterfly.
but I still believe there is little to be shown with videos that couldn't in a discussion, with crawl.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 22nd October 2014, 07:22

Thanks, guys!
Of course you are right, Hirsch, that videos are not the most economical way to present a character. However, I like recording them... helps me to keep the time I spend on playing games within reasonable limits and it also makes me focus even more on not dying ;-) I know that there is a handfull of people around who enjoy watching stuff like this - I actually know that for sure since I am such a person myself - so these are the people to whome this thread is addressed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd October 2014, 13:25

Hirsch I wrote:but I still believe there is little to be shown with videos that couldn't in a discussion, with crawl.

IMHO it is easier to learn crawl by watching a good player playing than by discussing crawl. The only exception is when that good player is playing so fast that you don't understand what's going on ;)

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd October 2014, 13:43

Sandman25 wrote:
Hirsch I wrote:but I still believe there is little to be shown with videos that couldn't in a discussion, with crawl.

IMHO it is easier to learn crawl by watching a good player playing than by discussing crawl. The only exception is when that good player is playing so fast that you don't understand what's going on ;)

This. I read several times the dictum, "You probably shouldn't ever approach a monster in LoS" without it making sense. But then watching games of high XL players on CAO, I'd see them spot a monster they could easily handle which had no ranged attacks, and they'd duck around a corner anyway and wait for them to come to them. This puzzled me greatly, but when I started doing it in my own games "because good players do it" I eventually realized that I was getting mobbed less. Finally it clicked that even trivial combat makes noise, and that sometimes really nasty things are lurking out of LoS behind wimpy ones and it's better to fight them one at a time than all together.

All this is easy to say, and I did indeed read it several times, but it was seeing it in action that made it work for me. However, we must also recognize that different learning styles do exist, and there could be many people here for whom Hirsch's statement is accurate.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd October 2014, 14:28

you guys are so damn nice. I love the tavern. I 'think, if I where to stop playing crawl, I would still post here a lot because I love yall.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd October 2014, 15:43

Videos titled 'lets play' are good as served for tutorials. If a one player gets a glimpse by this post, how early-game death happens, then this post has served its purpose. But they are in no way a good guide plowing through this game.

Gordon has some good ADOM runs in tube (i have actually seen one).

Just dont give up if you get negative feedback. If there is some attendance for your (DCSS) games, keep posting them.

Not every people like hanging out in the community chat in order to know everything about the game. The first steps are the worst. And the new player takes them the way he chooses. Watching a tube, reading a wiki, participating in irc community... Just make the the best of the best and you'd be fine.

EDIT: sorry 'bout my subpar english

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 19:18

Thanks for the nice words, Sphara! Glad you like the ADOM videos... that's definitely the roguelike I am best at. Hope I'll also get my crawl skills to a simmilar level at one point ;-)

For those interested, here are the final episodes of my run with Gordotaur! By far my best run so far and I'm glad that I reached a couple locations for the first time. I'd like to give it a try with a different melee class next. Any recomendations for unexperienced players would be very much appreciated ;-)

Episode 18 (18:04 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ3Kuc5ePcI&index=18&list=PLOdHNY3MGPavZms521Bv8KAqLTShXhKmx

Episode 19 (33:26 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cqZxfIb58&list=PLOdHNY3MGPavZms521Bv8KAqLTShXhKmx&index=19

Episode 20 (21:15 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA_U15ILid8&list=PLOdHNY3MGPavZms521Bv8KAqLTShXhKmx&index=20

Episode 21 (21:53 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34EBR0sImL4&index=21&list=PLOdHNY3MGPavZms521Bv8KAqLTShXhKmx

Episode 22 (30:05 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK4k_ctAupI&list=PLOdHNY3MGPavZms521Bv8KAqLTShXhKmx&index=22

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 20:00

Something about your accent is very calming.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner